Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gritsak said:
brand or size? ide go with 285's and 255's
do you suggest yokohama AVS?...i was thinking the BFG's Gforce TA/KD...but i don't know..id have to roll the fender for those.. as far as i know..i can go up to 245's with the C2's...i could always go with Nitto NT555...does anyone have any good experiences with the yokohama AVS rubber?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
big mike said:

do you suggest yokohama AVS?...i was thinking the BFG's Gforce TA/KD...but i don't know..id have to roll the fender for those.. as far as i know..i can go up to 245's with the C2's...i could always go with Nitto NT555...does anyone have any good experiences with the yokohama AVS rubber?
S-03 245front and 285rear is the best choice, you get what you pay for;)

·
boost is good
772 Posts
big mike said:

the avs's are nice, i used to have the avs sports. they wear out really quick though. i have the avs intermediates now. they are a cheap tire(115 for 275-17) but grip good for the money..if you have the money ide go with the kd's, i heard they are awsome.

·
3,148 Posts
All of these tire recommendations, but not one mention of the wheel offsets. If you don't provide the offsets than we can't tell you what will rub. We can tell you what will fit the wheel, but not if it will rub the fender. The offsets are printed on the inside of the wheel. Please check the offsets and I will let you know what will fit.

I am on my second set of AVS Sports. I personally feel they are the best all around performance tire out there. They don't have quite the dry grip of a G-Force KD, but they are equal to any other tire out there. They do great in the rain, are quite, and ride reasonably well. I would highly recommend these tires on a daily driver. BTW I have run AVS Sports, G-Force KD's, P-Zero's, S02's, SP8000's, Michelin MXX3's, and Kumho 712's. All of these were run on my Supra's.

Later, Steve

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve Jarvis said:
All of these tire recommendations, but not one mention of the wheel offsets. If you don't provide the offsets than we can't tell you what will rub. We can tell you what will fit the wheel, but not if it will rub the fender. The offsets are printed on the inside of the wheel. Please check the offsets and I will let you know what will fit.

I am on my second set of AVS Sports. I personally feel they are the best all around performance tire out there. They don't have quite the dry grip of a G-Force KD, but they are equal to any other tire out there. They do great in the rain, are quite, and ride reasonably well. I would highly recommend these tires on a daily driver. BTW I have run AVS Sports, G-Force KD's, P-Zero's, S02's, SP8000's, Michelin MXX3's, and Kumho 712's. All of these were run on my Supra's.

Later, Steve
Steve...i dont know the offset of my wheels, but the store told me that 285's will fit without rubbing and in the front 245's..so that leaves me with the option. I've already ordered some Nitto NT555's....hope no one flames me haha!

·
3,148 Posts
big mike,

If I'm not mistaken Nitto doesn't make a 285/30R18 so you probably ordered a 285/35 and have a nice tall tire on the rear (25.9" dia. vs. stock 25.0" dia.). This will result in a speedometer error. You have also ordered a 245/40R18 for the front which is also very tall (25.7" dia. vs. stock 25.3" dia.). Now you have a 40mm difference in width from front to rear tires and a 1.5" wheel width difference. This will give you a Supra with LOTS of understeer and absolutely no fun in the curves. If you only dragrace than this shouldn't be a problem for you. If your interested in handling than you could have had a 255/35 front and a 275/35 or 285/30 rear that would have been more balanced and given you more overall grip (without the speedometer error on the 285/30R18). I would be careful taking the recommendations of "the store" if they didn't tell you this and didn't look at your offsets. For future reference, your offsets are printed on the inside of your wheels.

I am not pointing fingers at you. I am very suprised by all the advice people give when they don't know what their talking about.

Later, Steve

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steve,
Ive looked and looked and LOOKED at Supras wheel/tire combo. From what I've found, 80% of Supras go with the 285 rear/ 245 front tire combo. You can't tell me all those Supra's have MAJOR understeer problems. Im not speaking from personal experience, just from my research. I will find out, however, in a couple days as I went with that exact combo.....

·
3,148 Posts
phatsupratt,

I WILL tell you that "all those Supra's have MAJOR understeer problems" unless they have done suspension mods specifically for that setup. 99% of which have not. The only reason the owners are happy with that setup is because they have never actually pushed their car to it's limit. Most people go into a curve way below the limits of the tire and then power out trying to make up the time they lost. At this point almost any rwd car will oversteer. This is due to over powering the rear tires with acceleration, not with cornering forces. These people will say that their car is neutral and doesn't understeer. If you go into a curve under full braking, your tires will be sliding (most of the time making noise) from the time you are full on the brakes until you have reached your track out point. If your tires are not sliding before you get to the apex of a curve, you haven't found the limits of your car. If you have never actually push your car to the limit, you will be perfectly happy with the 245/285 combo. Most people run 245's on the front, because that is all they think will fit, or because the offset of their front wheel won't allow a wider tire. I have a friend who was a test driver for Michelin/BFG for 7 years (working on performance tires) and is now a tire designer. We both drove my BPU Supra on a roadcourse and can report with the stock wheels and tires the understeer was terrible. I will be more than happy to give him a call and have him post his experience from that track event and his opinion on the 245/285 combo. You mentioned that 80% of Surpa owners run a 245/285 combo. I would point out that only about 10% of Supra owners are truely skilled drivers (on a roadcourse) and only about 5% (or less) have actually taken their cars to a roadcourse.

Later, Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts