Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
SF's Cleanest
7,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my car to toyota (first mistake) to have a service done.

they decided to drain the tranny fluid before checking to see if they had the new fluid to put in.

turns out they didnt have any and can't get any until 5 days from now.

so unless i can find some fluid that will work i'm without a car until then.

can i get something at autozone or pepboys that will work.

what is the fluid that i should look around for.

thanks guys.

·
SF's Cleanest
7,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I'm going to do, I just wanted to double check. I talked to them and it should be in Tuesday. Oh well. Thanks anyways.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I had V160 in, drove with it for 3k miles then I had to take my tranny out for some work on it. I put in Royal Purple SynchroMax. People recommend this oil too and I have to say, it shifts smoother than the V160 fluid.

I'd say go with the V160 then,but to me, it doesnt matter.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I've been running Mobil1 Dexron III synthetic for about four years now with no problems. Didn't notice any difference from V160 fluid. Recommendation in the manual is V160 from Toyota at $45/liter or Esso Dexron II ATF which I have no idea where you can buy. Pretty sure that the V160 is simply Dexron II in a Toyota can to jack up the price. Paid $8 for a five cent 'o'ring for powersteering pump high pressure outlet so know all about how Toyota jacks up prices fgor parts.

The only fluid known to definitely cause problems with the 6-speed is Redline D-4 due to seal swell on a bushing in the shift centering mechanism. As someone said previously Royal Purple Syncromax has been used successfully by a number of people. I wouldn't let the car sit idle waiting on V160 from Toyota. Have them fill it with Dexron III then replace it with the V160 when it comes in to the shop.

·
Registered
922 Posts
normore said:
I've been running Mobil1 Dexron III synthetic for about four years now with no problems. Didn't notice any difference from V160 fluid. Recommendation in the manual is V160 from Toyota at $45/liter or Esso Dexron II ATF which I have no idea where you can buy. Pretty sure that the V160 is simply Dexron II in a Toyota can to jack up the price. Paid $8 for a five cent 'o'ring for powersteering pump high pressure outlet so know all about how Toyota jacks up prices fgor parts.

The only fluid known to definitely cause problems with the 6-speed is Redline D-4 due to seal swell on a bushing in the shift centering mechanism. As someone said previously Royal Purple Syncromax has been used successfully by a number of people. I wouldn't let the car sit idle waiting on V160 from Toyota. Have them fill it with Dexron III then replace it with the V160 when it comes in to the shop.
A regular old Dextron III might also have too much seal swell additive in it which could result in problems similar to the Redline.

·
Registered
643 Posts
im using some mobil1 stuff my buddy gave me from his shop (they build all the honda formula engines) that they use on their cars. has worked fine so far at 2500 miles...

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
normore said:

esso = exxon

jeff watson swears by royal purple so i would trust that if not use the toyota one,also make sure the toyotal dealer ship takes care of you since they disabled your car so they should give youa discount since you had no other car to use ;)

·
Registered
749 Posts
greensoup said:
A regular old Dextron III might also have too much seal swell additive in it which could result in problems similar to the Redline.
I doubt it. Dexron III is simply an update to Dexron II and must meet specific specification to meet API standards. The seals in the V160 tranny should be no more or no more less sensitive to any additives. The major oil companies are verfy careful to ensure their oils work in all vehicles and do not cause problems (helps reduce lawsuits). I am not sure a small company like Redline works to the same standard.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Of course don't do anything and wait on the V160 is the safe option!!! Seal swell is controlled by an additive and is part of all engine and transmission fluid formulations. Excessive swell is due to too much additive. It is either the correct amount or not. The majort oil companies get it right because they cannot afford to get it wrong.

·
Registered
350 Posts
In a few weeks I'm replacing my Getrag fluid with the Royal Purple Syncro Max. I've heard great things about this oil and how silky smooth the tranny feels after this switch. Plus, it's a hell a lot cheaper and people are slowly moving to it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts