Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just about finished the rebuild, so now it's time to order a new turbo and I'm looking for feedback on some of my options. Flamers: yes I did search.

Background info: My goal is for around 450~475 whp, engine is being built with pauter rods, coated Ross pistons, Ross Racing rings, arp everything, Toyota bearings, Titan mhg.
Suporting mods are 255 fuel pump, 550 rc inj, lexus afm, afpr, safc-II, avcr, fcd, 3" down pipe and Greddy cat back, spearco intercooler, defcon hard pipes, greddy bov, PWR radiator, RPS flywheel, Spec stage 3, fully rebuilt r154.

I know that the ct 26 upgrade can come close and the sp61 can do it, but I also want something water cooled, ball bearing and also very reliable. I had ordered the SS stage V bb but they aren't making it any more and the Boss 550 is untested and sometime away.

The choices I've come up with is 935 street upgrade (Garrett GT3071-wg), the 935 race upgrade kit (Garrett GT40R), continue waiting for Supra Sport (Jack said I would have one of the first 550s but couldn't give me a date on when that would be).

As you can see this project is not about making the most amount of horse power for the least amount of money, it's about making a respectable amount and making it reliable enough to be a daily driver for years to come (the wife would kill me if it dies in a year or two). The budget allows around $2500 for the turbo and anything involved in its install.

Matt

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Well... BB have not proven thier reliability... I would go with the older style of floating bearkings... ANYWAYS.. A simple 60-1 or 62-1 would be fine.. Let me know if this is what your interested in, and I will get you a AWESOME price on it..

·
1jz-gte motivation
805 Posts
Would you be able to duplicate that price for another Supra owner? :bigthumb:

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
IF you PM me!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply CK, but are you talking about the ct26 60-1/62-1 upgrade or something else?

As far as DBB reliability I've only ever heard about the ITS ones having some problems, that were quickly addressed by ITS. Garrett has a ton of dual BB out on the market right now and have been doing them in large numbers for several years, if they were having any reliability issues then they would have been popping up on the radar alot more, don't you think?

Matt

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
a full 60-1

·
Registered
370 Posts
any phr turbo...

I have the PHR stage 1 with greddy mani (original) and it pulls like a m*ther f*cker. Even though it might surpass your 450-475 goal u have the supporting mods for it. I recomend it to any looking to upgrade

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
The 3071 is the best of the turbos you have listed and will more than meet your goal. You may get more "bang for the buck" from an older type turbo but, is that what you are after? Or, are you the type that would say damn the torpedoes, gimmie the best turbo I can get with the most efficient wheels and best area under the curve. Garrett BB turbos have a proven track record, no need to worry about reliability with them.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Chevy, I definately want the best turbo I can get but with realistic streetability, 450-475 in a daily driver is the "current" goal, but it would also be nice to have some flexability just in case I want to turn it up later.

Jessie isn't the PHR a Garrett GT turbo anyway? I only saw a stage 1 for the mkiv on their website, is it something they still do?

Matt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts