Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Supra Turbo M/T
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping to lean on you guys out with more experience.

With my EBC turned up, I'm barely getting more boost. I've leaked tested the intake piping up to 20 psi with no leaks. I'm convinced part of it is my "bad" style CXracing or driftmotion intercooler. My wastegate opens up at 7 psi (tested with a hand pump), yet it needs 80% duty cycle on the EBC to get 13.5 psi of boost. That really doesn't make sense to me. I have a fairly free flowing setup (BIC divorced DP, 3" exhaust, 2.5" intercooler piping). Also, targeting above 400WHP so might as well address the sub-optimal intercooler.

Here's what I'm thinking about....

This is the budget option from silicon intakes. They claim less than 1 psi pressure drop and good up to 600hp

The other one's I'm considering are treadstone. One is rated for 500hp and the other 720hp. The smaller one is rated for 1.5 psi pressure drop. No specs on the bigger one. The smaller one is appealing for packaging and price reasons. Kinda surprised about the pressure drop but maybe that has more to do with the test itself? Maybe size isn't really much of an issue here?

Which one is the best way to go on a 57 trim setup on standalone aiming for 400 WHP+?

·
Registered
89 Supra Turbo M/T
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@CTsupra , hopefully not too much additional piping work, but I'll definitely share the info if I go that route.

@black89t , that was my first thought. I did pull the wastegate and test on the bench. It will start to crack the actuator a little under 7 psi... so maybe my boost pressure makes sense in light of that. I have another wastegate on the way that I'll be putting on. Going to try a 2 port wastegate with a 4 point solenoid just because I have the opportunity to.

@Z06gette , do you notice any performance decrease above 400 hp? Lots of people reporting some big pressure drops with that IC.

If I do got with another IC, I'll probably go treadstone TRV185.

·
Registered
89 Supra Turbo M/T
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it. I have this one. I'm running one that looks like this, which is currently sold by dirftmotion. This is the one with the pressure drop issues.

·
Registered
89 Supra Turbo M/T
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ducting sounds like fun! Any pics for inspiration? I have some bumper stuff waiting to be put in (S2 airguide, fog light ducts, and grille guides). I could probably do something with that.

I was told the Albeart Meade 57 trim with a clipped wheel should get to 400 WHP+. We'll see. Others have reported dyno numbers in that region. I've seen several posts in the high 300's at 16 psi and these are apparently efficient up to 20psi. I might run out of pump though (walbro 255, 40psi base pressure, 650ccc injectors).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts