Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys got myself a 87 Supra with a 2JZGE. Motor came out of a 97 supra and this is my first supra ever so need to know some things.

Q1- Its has a r154 tranny and wanting to know if this is a good tranny to keep or just dump it.

Q2-The guy i got the car from said its has a 7MGE Computer. Should i just get a 2JZ Computer and build from that or would it be better to go ahead and get a stand alone.

Q3-Cant decied if i should go NA-T or just getting a 2JZGTE instead. Im wanting to build this car to about 800hp to 900hp. I have seen NA-T's that have 900+hp but would i have to spend more money building the NA-T instead of buying the 2JGTE and just building that.

Q4- Anyone know of any web site i can buy alot of oem parts for my car. I know its a 87 but i had a 87 RX7 and knew a place to get alot of that shit.

SO if any one can help me just hit me up. Thanks guys

·
Wheel slip
265 Posts
OK guys got myself a 87 Supra with a 2JZGE. Motor came out of a 97 supra and this is my first supra ever so need to know some things.

Q1- Its has a r154 tranny and wanting to know if this is a good tranny to keep or just dump it.

Q2-The guy i got the car from said its has a 7MGE Computer. Should i just get a 2JZ Computer and build from that or would it be better to go ahead and get a stand alone.

Q3-Cant decied if i should go NA-T or just getting a 2JZGTE instead. Im wanting to build this car to about 800hp to 900hp. I have seen NA-T's that have 900+hp but would i have to spend more money building the NA-T instead of buying the 2JGTE and just building that.

Q4- Anyone know of any web site i can buy alot of oem parts for my car. I know its a 87 but i had a 87 RX7 and knew a place to get alot of that shit.

SO if any one can help me just hit me up. Thanks guys
1.Keep the R154, next best thing to a V160 without the huge price! lol
2.Standalone if funding permits with 2j harness and electronics IMO.
3.GTE swap IMO
4.Driftmotion.con, talk to Aaron.

·
91TT comin up, 01 s2k
2,664 Posts
what i want to know is how are you going to fund your project. You're just making it so simple. It's not as easy as it looks and from what you are saying you don't really know anything about the supra.......800-900hp supra cost a lot and you have to do so much to achieve that.....are you going to do the swaps yourself? And how could a 7mge ecu work on a 2jze? Is the 2jzge actually in your car right now? I'm confuse

·
KBR
2,910 Posts
ok i found a 2JZGTE from japan that came out of a Aristo will that still work good? Is the R154 tranny a hydro tranny or cable if it is cable is there the a hydro coverson kit that i can buy.

hydro tranny??... cable tranny???

we have Supra's, not Honda's.

that terminology doesnt fit here.

aite, peace.

·
Wheel slip
265 Posts
Come on now guys don't knock this kid just yet. He is simply trying to get general knowledge of the swap, tons of research will take you a long way BTW. I too had a big 2j MK3 supra dream and EVERYONE on the local forums here in Louisville shot me down until I posted a video of the car running and pictures of the swap. I like proving ppl wrong...sorry! lol I wired my 2j with bits and pieces of info and glad to say i didn't pay 500-700 dollars for wiring and I also wired tucked the whole harness. That 500-700 dollars was spent on material I used to build my T4 tubular manifold. :) My swap was supposed to be a stock build but I got toooo in depth with detail and now have a big single turbo project brewing... sigh! :( $$$

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hope you have at least $20,000 to drop on this project.

1) The R154 will not be sufficent for 800-900hp even when built and cryo-treated.
2) The GE and GTE will need to be built to be reliable, if you want 900hp porting and cams are a must, custom turbo manifold.

And don't listen to the idiots talking about basic piggyback bullshit for someone who wants to make this much power.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We my goal right now is to get the 2jzgte then try to get to the 500hp range and ill go from there. The 800-900hp range is later down the road. I do plan on doing this build right the first time so for those that think its a dream well when this car is done ill show you how a dream is turned into reality. But this will take some time to get there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what i want to know is how are you going to fund your project. You're just making it so simple. It's not as easy as it looks and from what you are saying you don't really know anything about the supra.......800-900hp supra cost a lot and you have to do so much to achieve that.....are you going to do the swaps yourself? And how could a 7mge ecu work on a 2jze? Is the 2jzge actually in your car right now? I'm confuse
Ok I picked this car up the way it is right now and just going by what the guy told me on it. I know get that much hp isn't easy I'm not stupid I know the time and cost. I'm working 2 jobs just so I can get this build going good.

·
91TT comin up, 01 s2k
2,664 Posts
Ok I picked this car up the way it is right now and just going by what the guy told me on it. I know get that much hp isn't easy I'm not stupid I know the time and cost. I'm working 2 jobs just so I can get this build going good.
It's all good, next time do a little research and what you are getting and know your stuff, you never want to be the "ass" that just got jacked by believing what was told to him......you have to know what to look for....and good luck with the build, I know the swap is a pain in the ass cause it's taken me about 2 years to find all the right stuff, a whole lot of money for the swap and I'm 80% done.....you have some guys on here that took longer.....but yeah alot of time, money and effort but well worth it in the end........goodluck

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can anyone give me the list that of what i will need to convert from my 2JZGE to 2JZGTE and i want to go with a standalone ecu you so if and one knows a good place to go and order one.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
R154 will be toast in not too long at 900 hp. You are going to need a TH400 auto tranny or V160...but the TH400 would be the smarter choice.

Your going to need a standalone system.

GTE swap

Elmhurst toyota or driftmotion

1 - 20 of 36 Posts