Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out a good looking combination for my car. I've got my eyes on the SSR GT3 but the darker color wheel comes largest front 8.5. My take is that okay, I could get this smaller footprint, will it really look different from 18x9 in the front? I guess .25 on each side or something...but what about performance? My general perception is wider is better... at least on the rear but what about the front?

also, what size tires should I get for the wheel? You know, I am not all about bulgy side walls. I hate sloppy side walls and I really don't dig the look of a tire bulging beyond the sidewall...nor am I keen to the wheel bulging waay past the treads... What wheel size and tire package would look good? Oh yeah, 10.5 and higher is out of the question, those rubbers for that size is incredibly expensive just for stepping up a little bit.

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
You can get the GT3's in a 9" front and 10" rear. As a matter of fact you can get them in a 9.5" front and 11" rear. All you have to do is ask the sales person for the correct size, offset and disk type.

I would recommend an 18x9.5" +50mm offset front with a 265/35R18 and 18x10.5" +55mm rear with a 285/30R18.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion Steve..

I take it that Wider is better and what I heard about making the fronts wider will hurt performance is bogus right?

Wider in the front will not hurt = true.

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
If your looking for the most cornering grip than wider is better. If you want the most straight line traction and speed than narrow in the front and the best compound possible in the rear. Wider within reason (255 or wider) will not make a difference on the street in the rear. 9" and 10" will work fine if 9.5" and 10.5" are not available.

Later, Steve

Later, Steve

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
.. just as i thought, wider is better... i'm not bagging on those who drive fast straight, but.. i really like to turn a lot.. I'll go wider!

·
TRNSFST
890 Posts
TommyR1 said:
.. just as i thought, wider is better... i'm not bagging on those who drive fast straight, but.. i really like to turn a lot.. I'll go wider!
:D :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Listen to Steve. He knows his stuff.

For what it is worth, I am running 9's in front w/ 265s and 10s in back w/ 285s. After a little suspension work, the car runs like it is on rails compared to stock.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
snausa said:
Listen to Steve. He knows his stuff.

For what it is worth, I am running 9's in front w/ 265s and 10s in back w/ 285s. After a little suspension work, the car runs like it is on rails compared to stock.
Could you possibly take a pic of your front and rear wheels, i want to see how the tire is seated on it.. if possible, diagonalshot of the face would be cool..up close

·
TRNSFST
890 Posts
DevilChrist said:
wider is not better for rain...
so make sure you get skinny tires:rolleyes: :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts