Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a quick question for you guys. I just got some new wheels and a new suspension, and I know I have to get an alignment within the next few weeks. I have heard from several people that it would be a bad idea to put the new wheels on the car while getting the alignment, because they can easily be scratched during the alignment process. I am wondering if this is the case.

Also I don't know whether it maters or not, but my new wheels have diameters of 25.7" both front and back. This is different then the stock diameters by .4" in front, and .7" in back (difference is actully greater then this since the tires on teh 19's are new and the tires on the 17's are not). Is the alignment going to be wrong if i get the alignment done with the stock wheels and then put the new ones on after the alignment.

thanks in advance for the help
-Geoff

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
you must align the car with the equipment that you will be driving on. In other words, install all the new stuff, then have it aligned. Stand near the alignment rack and ensure that the mechanic knows you will be on fire if you see any scratches on your shizzzznit.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
You want your new wheels on during the alignment.

Yes they could scratch those nice new wheels, so make sure you take your supra to a good, trusted shop that will pay extra attention to the small things like not scratching those wheels. Depending on how much difference is between the stock wheels and your new ones, which seems to be a lot, getting an alignment with the stock wheels is a waste of money. The car won't be 100% aligned with the newer larger wheels. Get the alignment done with the wheels you intend on driving with.

Do not go to NTB, or places like that. They are there for the 8.50 an hour and don't really care if they scratch up anything. Everyone that I know that has gone to NTB has ended up with a bent or scratched wheel.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Geoff, let me know where you go and how you make out. I'm going to needed the most trusted alignment shop in the tri state area as well!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Imagine buying a 6000 $ set of HREs and then needing to get a new alignment done. The car I'm buying actually has a set like that and they should already be aligned. Couldn't spot anything on the rims so I hope it was done. I'd freak out trying to find a shop that would do a good job so I feel your pain. I'd probably take pictures before and have them sign for any damage they cause, in new rims only, no shitty 'we'll pay you to have it fixed' patches :)

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
94suprattmd said:
thanks for the imput guys this seems to make sense.

by the way is their anything that I can do to try and prevent them from being scratched

thanks,
Geoff
Wherever you go, take a picture of the wheels before you go to a shop so you have proof that it wasn't scratched. Date you picture too.

I'd personally take mine to the dealer and make sure you tell the service manager to take good care of your new wheels.

M

·
0 Posts
Hey everyone. One of the VERY BEST alignment shops in our area(and the only place that I go) is called Cecil's alignment shop. They do all of the trick trucks and stuff because their equipment will clear any lowered car. The guy there (Dan IIRC) does all of their alignments and it's all that he does all day, just alignments.

They're located in Edgewater, MD, next to Annapolis. Their number is 410-798-0181. They charge 75 for a full alignment.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions I will do as you guys are saying and take pictures pior to taking the car.

Cherza- It sounds like you have a mighty fine car coming your way...enjoy it

1badsup- Ill definately take a few pictures of the car before taking it in

Mark- Im going to check this place out. its about an hour from me but if I can be gauranteed a top notch job id make the trip.

thanks again guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts