Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to fix rod knock without taking the head off the block? if so, under what conditions? I dont wanna take my head off cuz then i'll have to buy a new MHG.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the engine is out and on a stand. I just dont wanna take the head off. I hear in some situations you need to pull the pistons out the top.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Last I heard, you can reuse a MHG 2-3 times as long as it isn't damaged.

You may want to get new head bolts, but if you have studs you can reuse them 2-3 times as well.

Some people say 4 times... but IMO your kinda pushing your luck.

·
DO WORK!!
2,275 Posts
You may want to have the crank checked and balanced as well... So you dont have to do this again. When you have a rod knock, things dont like to stay round under those conditions. just putting new bearings in will only "band-aid" the problem.

Take it all apart and have it done right.

[email protected]

·
JZS161 Aristo TT
881 Posts
You may want to have the crank checked and balanced as well... So you dont have to do this again. When you have a rod knock, things dont like to stay round under those conditions. just putting new bearings in will only "band-aid" the problem.

Take it all apart and have it done right.

[email protected]
Take the engine out its a POS to do rod beaing in place whole sub frame comes out to make this happen if the crank is scratched then you need to remove engine anyway hours of work to refit sub frame to then pull the engine ohnoes: :chairshot

Pull the engine find out why your bearings failed then put happy engine back in the hole :run:

:rockon:

PS you can replace all the crank bearings without touching the head just do this with engine upside down

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
^^ Ever heard about interpunction ??

Anyway, you could do it without pulling the head and stuff. Just put it upside down. Pull the oilpan and crank and check the bearings on the rods. Why ? If a rodbearing actually spun inside the rod you have to change or repair the rod. And to change the rod you have to take the piston out. That's when the head has to come off, the pistons only go out through the top.

Still i'd rather take it all apart, rodknock contaminates the oil with metalshreds and i'd rather clean the engine top to bottom to make SURE all metal is removed. Otherwise you'll be doing this again very soon.

I

·
0 Posts
C44 said:
^^ Ever heard about interpunction ??

Anyway, you could do it without pulling the head and stuff. Just put it upside down. Pull the oilpan and crank and check the bearings on the rods. Why ? If a rodbearing actually spun inside the rod you have to change or repair the rod. And to change the rod you have to take the piston out. That's when the head has to come off, the pistons only go out through the top.

Still i'd rather take it all apart, rodknock contaminates the oil with metalshreds and i'd rather clean the engine top to bottom to make SURE all metal is removed. Otherwise you'll be doing this again very soon.

Exactly.. You need to get the block hot tanked and totally cleaned ie. (clean oil ports ect..) even a little shard of metal can re introduce the problem again.. Do things right the first time and you wont have to worry about it anymore..Good luck...

Pat

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
iheart6bangers said:
is it possible to fix rod knock without taking the head off the block? if so, under what conditions? I dont wanna take my head off cuz then i'll have to buy a new MHG.
yup. provided it is in the early stages- i.e. not spun, just excessive clearance. measure for correct bearing, check journals for roundness, etc.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright thanks for all the advice. that cleared up some things i wasnt sure of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts