Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing a second amp and a 12" sub in my car and now I noticed that when I am accelerating there is a high pitched whine coming from my speakers. This noise wasn't there before and I already had an amp installed. Do I need some sort of filter? if so, where do I put it ?

·
4 T's and an X
2,119 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I thought it might be a ground was bad but if someone else can provide a differant insight

·
Let's go Phils
624 Posts
You most likely have a ground loop. Try changing your ground point to an unpainted metal surface. Also make sure you are using quality rcas. I love when someone comes into the shop and buys 1500 in sub and amp, the buys the 7.99 rcas. Also your power wire and rcas should be ran down opposite sides of the car.

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
97gt2835 said:
You most likely have a ground loop. Try changing your ground point to an unpainted metal surface. Also make sure you are using quality rcas. I love when someone comes into the shop and buys 1500 in sub and amp, the buys the 7.99 rcas. Also your power wire and rcas should be ran down opposite sides of the car.
I have the 2nd sub grounded at the same bolt location as the first. The RCA's I bought are from Best Buy and I think they are Rockford Forsgate ($22 each). I also ran the power wire down the driver side and the RCA's and remote wire down the passenger side. They do however meet up in the back for about two feet and go into the amps. I also have the blue remote and power wires tapped off of the first amp but they each have their own ground wires.

What is a ground loop???

·
Registered
372 Posts
same problem...

check your gain and other features on the amp...

tune it to your best!

or try to have audio rca coming out from the deck/receiver rather then amp

good luck!

:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've got this same annoying whining noise but it only happens when i turn on my air conditioning and as i accelerate. I wasted money replacing the AC Compressor but it doesnt seem to be the problem. I think its the extra strain on the alternator when the AC is running and the sterero setup ccombined make the whining noise.

You can buy these things called Ground Loop Isolators to plug into the RCAs but these didnt seem to fix my problem either. Im thinking of replacing the alternator with a more powerful one. Other than that, i got no idea what to do. Anyone?

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
Ive seen the problem come from bad decks too. Try swaping the deck with the same model if you have access to do that...and it could possibly solve your problem. Also try re grounding the alternator or battery with 4gauge

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I changed the setting on the sub amp from mono to L/R and this seemed to solve the problem of the whine. I am not getting the whining noise anymore but now I am getting some hissing, maybe it's too loud.

·
Banned
888 Posts
check your wires make sure that the power wire is run away from your rca and your speaker wires. It called road noise what you have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts