Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
sry my post's seem to turn into stories.... ...

well decided to take my car down to the strip tonight after i got off work..

on the way there i fiddled with my mbc and got it to about 13psi..

after i got into the gates it took about 10 minutes before my first run, which i ran a 14.17 A HuGe improvement over my last few attempts at the track, wich showed my the corrections on my couplers helped and fixing my filter problem help aswell, so i twist the boost controler up another 3 full turns, this time i ran a 14.01 or so and didn't get a decent look at the boost gauge while going down the track,

after i turned off the tracked my car started running a little funny, wanting to die, and running way rich at idle... 10:1 or so... it did die on my once which i thought was wieird,

pulled back into staging and puped my hood, not knowing what really could have caused the car to idle erractic and die.. i checked my pipes and looked it over, and decided to pull the plastic cover off the stock fpr,

low and behold the skrew for the fpr had backed out completly... so i grab my driver and thread her back in, and pop the plastic cover back on..

turn the mbc up a little more since my afr's are back with in respective range...

do my brun out and looked at the boost gauge, it's reading 15psi.. and holding pretty good.

to night i had came up with the idea since i was having problems boosin off the lines with breakin traction i had been power braking And holding my e-break. and droping the brakes at the same time..

my last run went like so..

330-n/a
1k-n/a

now here's the legist of why im really posting..

during that last run, not only did break into the 13's , I also learned how if feels to see a project go up in [email protected]

blew my hg as i was crosing the finish line. and once i go slowed down, and off the tracked i pulled right over at shut her off, or did she die? either way she only ran for 30-60 seconds while smoking...

during the time of slowing down, i thought i heard knocking.. but i may have been in a panic state.. after sitting on the side of the return path taling on the phone w/ pop, i decided to start her back up to determine knock....

took her a lil bit to start30 sec's or so.. versuse 5 seconds norm.. puffing smoke out the exhaust, and out from various area's around the head :1poke:
i reved it a lil bit and did not hear any knock, and i had 40psi when i lost the gasket...

i do have arp's Stud's and they were torqed to 85-90 ftlbs as to tsrm torqe pattern and re-torqed 3 weeks after installation..
i have stated in my mod list a felpro gasket, but it is really a "rock" set i picked up at my local PS...

well definitly looks like mhg is in my future.. and doesn't look like im going to be puttin her on a dyno with the auto like i wanted... because by the time im done fixing what ever happened. i'll probaly had sourced a clutch and will have swaped my 5spd in with the fresh top end.. guess it's time to do those valve steem seals aswell... gulp...

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
pimptrizkit said:
pulled back into staging and puped my hood, not knowing what really could have caused the car to idle erractic and die.. i checked my pipes and looked it over, and decided to pull the plastic cover off the stock fpr,

low and behold the skrew for the fpr had backed out completly... so i grab my driver and thread her back in, and pop the plastic cover back on..
Thats is not the Fuel pressure regulator. Thats the FPD (fuel pulsation dampner). The FPR is located on the the other end of the rail.

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
eh well when the skrew came out of it, i was running rich, and when i put it back in it went back to 14's at idle..

edit, oh yeah i forgot it had the vaccume line hooked to it..

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,985 Posts
pimptrizkit said:
eh well when the skrew came out of it, i was running rich, and when i put it back in it went back to 14's at idle..

edit, oh yeah i forgot it had the vaccume line hooked to it..
You touched the FPD, so placebo effect- you did nothing. If you're going to mod, knowing what you are working on is fundamental.

AFRs don't mean much when the intake temps skyrocket and 15psi on the stock CT-26 is pushing really hot air. 15psi on a Chinese HG is nuts. Guys who go about things this way are either rich [monetarily] , or lacking good judgement, or both. Sure other guys may have done it no problem, but the truth is, they were just lucky.

Good luck.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Larry_A said:
You touched the FPD, so placebo effect- you did nothing. If you're going to mod, knowing what you are working on is fundamental.

AFRs don't mean much when the intake temps skyrocket and 15psi on the stock CT-26 is pushing really hot air. 15psi on a Chinese HG is nuts. Guys who go about things this way are either rich [monetarily] , or lacking good judgement, or both. Sure other guys may have done it no problem, but the truth is, they were just lucky.

Good luck.
/thread

Don't really know what you expected with that boost on a chinese hg? Do it right once or do it again and again and again...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Turkish said:
/thread

Don't really know what you expected with that boost on a chinese hg? Do it right once or do it again and again and again...
My japanese newly installed hg bursted at 16 psi after 4 weeks. :rolleyes: Origin doesn't always tell us about the quality of the parts.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
NJsupraA70 said:
Thats is not the Fuel pressure regulator. Thats the FPD (fuel pulsation dampner). The FPR is located on the the other end of the rail.

what is that screw for? i noticed mine was loose or not screwed in for whatever reason a while back. i tried to put it back in but wouldnt go. so i just put the cover back on with the screw how it was. :sadance:

·
Registered
357 Posts
LordLo said:
My japanese newly installed hg bursted at 16 psi after 4 weeks. :rolleyes: Origin doesn't always tell us about the quality of the parts.
If it wasn't a mhg I am not suprised, if it was then improper machining is my bet.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,985 Posts
LordLo said:
Well looky here, another smart guy, and politically correct, too. LOL.

When are you simpletons going to figure out that high-boosting on non-MHG gaskets is a bad idea? We're done here.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Larry_A said:
Well looky here, another smart guy, and politically correct, too. LOL.

When are you simpletons going to figure out that high-boosting on non-MHG gaskets is a bad idea? We're done here.
No mister, I'm just saying that a OEM toyota HG is not superior to a Felpro. They are probably fairly close in composition and contruction. :coold:

Never did I say a OEM gasket could withstand the same boost pressures as a MHG. :wtflol:

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,985 Posts
LordLo said:
No mister, I'm just saying that a OEM toyota HG is not superior to a Felpro. They are probably fairly close in composition and contruction. :coold:

Never did I say a OEM gasket could withstand the same boost pressures as a MHG. :wtflol:
Read more carefully. He didn't use a Felpro. He used a ROCK, whatever the fu<# brand that is.*

As for your comment regarding OEM vs MHG, you inferred it by running 16psi on it. LOL. You are so owned, it makes baby Jesus cry.

In thirty [30] years of working on & modding engines, I have helped fix many BHGs...always on someone else's car. Personally, I've never blown a head gasket, ever. Does that make me an authority on the subject? Not in the eyes of those who don't know me, but definitely in the eyes of those that do.

Take care.

*edit:
i have stated in my mod list a felpro gasket, but it is really a "rock" set i picked up at my local PS...

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Larry_A said:
Read more carefully. He didn't use a Felpro. He used a ROCK, whatever the fu<# brand that is.*

As for your comment regarding OEM vs MHG, you inferred it by running 16psi on it. LOL. You are so owned, it makes baby Jesus cry.

In thirty [30] years of working on & modding engines, I have helped fix many BHGs...always on someone else's car. Personally, I've never blown a head gasket, ever. Does that make me an authority on the subject? Not in the eyes of those who don't know me, but definitely in the eyes of those that do.

Take care.

*edit:

I know of many people who run Rock gaskets, however as Larry and others have mentioned here... you are taking an OEM (or possibly lesser) replacment and asking it to do more then it was designed for. If you wanted to run 2x the factory boost level, don't expect the Rock to last forever... I am currently running one in my 22re turbo motor at 8psi... and I am counting the days till it pops and I put a cometic in for a replacement.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,985 Posts
catch2nd said:
I know of many people who run Rock gaskets, however as Larry and others have mentioned here... you are taking an OEM (or possibly lesser) replacment and asking it to do more then it was designed for. If you wanted to run 2x the factory boost level, don't expect the Rock to last forever... I am currently running one in my 22re turbo motor at 8psi... and I am counting the days till it pops and I put a cometic in for a replacement.
I subscribe to the do what works crowd...so if that brand works for you, then great! Heh, my last Celica engine was a carb'd 20R...stout engines, & a relief from cast iron cyl heads of the 8/18R from the prev gen.

Personally, I wouldn't take any OEM-style HG beyond FCO, regardless of fastener type & torque value. MHG + prep for modding, then enjoy many years of trouble-free operation. 400+rwhp will take its toll, but usually on other parts. Good drive train & tuning will make it an Energizer rabbit.

Take care.

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the reasons i didn' go with a mhg when i had the head off, i was out of money, being a broke first year collage student, i really wanted to get it running,

i knew it was going to go, and it probaly started to go on my second pass at 13psi when my afr's were rich, and she died on me..

im definitly going mhg, i already have arp's

...ne ways, brain fart, have a good one..

for some reason i Cant get my 60ft any lower then 2.2

can auto's cut better 60's??

·
Registered
625 Posts
that sucks balls man I didnt see the run I took off right after I watched you run the 14.0. I knew youd get into the 13's but bhg sucks azz. Geuss well have to match up after you get the new hg. Same time exactly but I had to squeze a 2.0 60' just to get it and my trap was only 100mph... Hmm I need more power lol. Late man

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah when i get this fixed you betta race me fool, i dont know exactly how long my cars gona be down for though...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts