Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've done some searching but nothing really detailed. The brand I have is Initial K.
As of right now, i have no idea how to do this, theres a lot of wires. Do other aftermarket face gauges come with a main electrical body also? Where would this go. Anything is helpful.

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
yeah, you have one resistor that all the guages plug into... When I did this on my other Supra, I just tucked it behind the dash somewhere... I also had to dremmel some notches for the wires to fit through on the dash so the guages wouldnt lift up... Istall was easy, once you get the guage cluster out, just pull the screwa, slide over the needles and put screws back in... The only guage that was a pain in the ass was the oil pressure guage, make sure you put it back right or else it wont work... I wired it to my parking lights fuse...

Hope that helps...

Jake

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok the gauge cluster is out now......im not a big fan of wiring at all! And how exactly should I drill to allow the wires through the gauges?? will it end up looking dumb and very visible or not? And where is the parking light wires to connnect to? I will see what I can do and search but if anyone could help with this final install part thatd be cool.

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
Now you have the cluster out, pull off the clear front... Then remove a few screws from the back to remove the black bezel piece... When you put the guages on, you'll see how the wires lay, and you can notch the plastic as needed, the black bezel will hide the notches... Dont let this over whelm you man, trust me, when yur done, you'll be like: damn that was easy...

As for the parking lights, check this out, it's really easy... Go to an auto parts place, they have these REALLY cool fuse holders, I never saw these before till recently, but they're one of those inventions that you think, why the hell didnt I come up with that? This is how it works: it looks like a fuse holder with fuse ends, a fuse holder and a wire coming off it... What you do is pull the fuse for the parking lights *pull the cover on your driver's side kick panel* plug that fuse into this fuse holder, connect the wire to the positive on your gauge lights, then plug the fuse holder in where the parking light fuse goes... Of course, before you hook up the positive, make sure you ground the black wire to a good ground...

Good luck... It's really not that hard, you'll see...

Jake

·
stop pulling me over pigs
1,259 Posts
When Im threw on my speedhut gauges, there was no need for me to drill anything behind the bezel, the wires layed fine, without getting pinched. Maybe that set is different...

Took me like 4-5 hours, just because I'm slow and like to be extreeemely careful hehe Especially with that freakin oil pressure gauge, since it likes to fly apart in a million pieces. Gotta be extra careful with that, and hold it together when you take the screw out.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah im on the black bezel right now and it wouldnt come off but i'll look for the screws. Thanks alot, especially ReignMaker :bigthumb:

·
1,259 Posts
I wish I could remember more....it's been a while for me. If I lived in Minnesota, I'd be your man! Just bring the beer and I'd be good to go LOL

·
can't spell shazam w/o it
315 Posts
Once you are done removing that front black bezel, you ONLY have to remove the 2 screws holding the old gauge paper in place. Pop the needle off, and easy as pie from there. This way, non of the units themselves will come out, so no need to worry about losing more pieces.

The only thing that kind of pisses me off though is the alignment of the needle afterwards.

·
1,259 Posts
Dude, please don't take the needles off....the gauges flex - youll jack up your gauges popping the needles off, there is absolutely no need to. You're asking for trouble with them if you do that.

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
hamzam said:
Once you are done removing that front black bezel, you ONLY have to remove the 2 screws holding the old gauge paper in place. Pop the needle off, and easy as pie from there. This way, non of the units themselves will come out, so no need to worry about losing more pieces.

The only thing that kind of pisses me off though is the alignment of the needle afterwards.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAH! Dont take the needle off... Dood, you took your needles off? Why? The couple reverse glow gauge sets Ive seen all just slid over the needle...

Dre, dont take your needles off, you could bend, break or throw them off calibration...

Ham, did your set tell you to pull the needles? Cuz you shouldnt have to...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i feel like a dumbass but I have another question about wiring: do I have to open the "back" to run the new wires through? yeah I knew not to touch the needles.

·
can't spell shazam w/o it
315 Posts
Reign_Maker said:
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAH! Dont take the needle off... Dood, you took your needles off? Why? The couple reverse glow gauge sets Ive seen all just slid over the needle...

Dre, dont take your needles off, you could bend, break or throw them off calibration...

Ham, did your set tell you to pull the needles? Cuz you shouldnt have to...
I got my set direct from speedhut.com

They did not come with any instructions, maybe I was missing them. However, they also didn't have slits for sliding over the needle. The faces of the gauges were the same shape and dimensions as the stock ones.

Yes, I took the needles off :stickpoke ... shit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts