Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just removed my turbocharger and downpipe, and noticed all the internal exhaust walls are coated with a white or very light-brown residue.

It doesn't flake off easy, is thickest by the engine and gets thinner further downstream. It is dry to the touch and smells like.............soap??? :)

I've never experienced this before, when working on the exhaust.

Looking inside the exhaust manifold, it seems that it is coming from all the cylinders equally.

The catalytic converter has the same color (usually it's dark brown), but past that it's the normal blackish color.

Any ideas?

Thank you.....Shawn.

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
could be two things...one, light brownish/white residue is usually ash...I would think at first you may be running too lean.

I don't know what the other thing would be...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes chevyeater-on-sf, it looks like that. It doesn't have a pinkish hue to it though, but maybe it's just the picture or my monitor.

What did it end up being? Don't sugar coat it now. :)

Forgot to mention, that for about 3 days, I was running extremely rich, due to a O2 sensor. I got that fixed up now.

Thank you for the input.

·
HMOOB VWJ NYOB MINNESOTA
1,352 Posts
I see the same thing you're seeing after I put some c16 race gas in the tank. I thought that that was normal for race gas, I might be wrong though. Now even without race gas Im still seeing them in my exhaust tip.

·
*RockStaR*
561 Posts
coolant/anti freeze possible? my mechanic said there was a white residue on my turbo and said it was possible dried up coolant

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is coolant! I have asked many members about this cus when i blew my HG, I took off my turbo and noticed this and was like WFT? Everyone I ahve talked to has said it was coolant.

Later

Jason

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From the Chilton repair manual, Toyota Trucks, 1970-88:

Ash (Lead) Deposits
APPEARANCE: Ash deposits are characterized by light brown or white colored deposits crusted on the side or center electrodes (of a spark plug). In some cases, it may give the plug a rusty appearance.
CAUSE: Ash deposits are normally derived from oil or fuel additives burned during normal combustion. Normally they are harmless, though excessive amounts can cause misfiring. If deposits are excessive in short mileage, the valve guides may be worn.

Now, I assume the ash could travel downstream and stick to your turbine blades and such, but I have never seen them in the quantity thay you describe. So have you been using additives?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the suggestions.

I looked in a engine troubleshooting book, and it basically said what 'supra_89t' posted, regarding the spark plugs, but did not mention the exhaust components.

Here are some other changes that happened lately, that could be to blame:

-1) The exhaust fumes with the car running kind of smell like soap (well warm burning soap :) )! Not an unpleasant odor and it's very faint (I have to stick my nose right by the pipe), and it's a very different scent from burning oil, or coolant. It smells just like the deposits in the exhaust pipe.

-2) My fuel filler pipe broke few days ago, so I got lots of water and most likely dirt in the gas tank. I fixed the pipe, and gone through about 2 gas tanks since. I cannot drain it, since the drain plug will probably just break off (rust problem).

It may be possible I got soap in the gas tank, while washing the car before knowing the filler pipe was broken.

-3) The car doesn't appear to use any coolant, and there are no signs of a BHG (oil in coolant, milky oil, low compression, white smoke etc.).

-4) I replaced the o2 sensor few days ago, and when I put it in it, it was normal color (gray/black). When I checked today, it has that white residue on it just like everything else, so the car is still doing it whatever is causing deposits.

-5) I have not switched oil or gasoline brands. However it's possible they changed to the winter blend gasoline already at the station (Chevron).

:scratch: ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's Oil residual burned with rich fuel mixture.
when it appears brown = lean condition
when it appears humidity black = good fuel mixture or little rich.
when it appears white = oil burned with a little high rich mixture. high residual.

about the gasoline
95 or - Oct = black
98 or + Oct unleaded = white or light brown little residual

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Here is the thread where I saw that picture- http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=20507&highlight=stock+turbo

I saw the same white residue on my Subaru turbo when I put the downpipe on. It didn't have any of the damage the TD05 in that thread though. I attribute it to high EGTs. The little turbo on that car is going almost constantly.

The fact that you had an O2 sensor failure leads me to believe you may have something else going on though. Maybe silicon contamination?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts