Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Under Construction!!!!!
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today when I was driving from work to my house I sort of felt a lost of power and the car kind of pulled back on me. So I slowed down and babied the ccar to my house. When I got there I opened the hood and it wasn't very noticeble but there was smoke coming out of where the intake pipe(rubber part) that connects to the TB. So what do you guys think it is? My dad told me the engine might be gone but I can still drive it not that I am but I wanted some input from you guys see If I can get to the end of this. Also my car is an 86.5 N/A automatic. Thanxs

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
Are you sure that its coming from there? becuase it may be possible that the PCV hose cracked or came off. I know that the pcv puffs out small amounts of white smoke. And if that is the case, it may also have caused a post afm air leak... thus explaining the lack of power. If it still doesn't help... you live in SoCal, contact another supra owner, i'm sure someone would love to help you out. :)

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
ya but he said he noticed a "loss of power" making me think more and more that its his pcv.
PCV problem = smoke and unmetered air
umetered air = bad, (unless u know what ur doing)

·
Under Construction!!!!!
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey guys thanks for all the info. I'll look into the pcv thing I just gotta find out where it's at lol but I looked around tightened sall the pipes and my exhaust side valve cover was loose. I'll be damn but I will look into the PCV to see if that is the problem. Thanx again.

·
Under Construction!!!!!
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also my exhaust has just started blowing out white smoke kind of a lot not like a cloud of it but a legitable amount of WHITE smoke but it is only done at idle. It even does it while it is warm. Anybody know wht it could be and is it really possible that it could be a BHG?

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,152 Posts
Very good hint... What does the exhaust smell like? Burning coolant?

Also PCV is on top of the valve covers right behind the 3000 pipe..

Check if they are clocged.

·
Under Construction!!!!!
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I don't have a 3000 pipe cuase it is an N/A but now i knw where it is at in a turbo. Also it sorta smells like coolant can't really smell it at the moment cuase I am sick but I would do my best to try and see if it is burning coolant. Also I repalced my Radiator, and ALL radiator hoses lasdt Friday even the 90 degree hose witch everybody knows is a *&$%^ to get to. I havn't loss any coolant from the looks of it but I doubt it is coolant.

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
alright... lets think positiviely and fix the easy stuff first. There are pcv breathers on the engine. They are located on the valve covers close to the firewall, one per valve cover. They are really just crankcase ventilation breathers. IF they become damaged or stop working they can cause some if not all the symptoms you have described.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/ec/EC_05.html

see that link for the TSRM info on the PCV

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
sorry.... i accidently pushed submit reply b4 i was done.

but anyways, the the TSRM doesn't do a great job desrcibing its location and my pics are all stupid and ugly. So, what you'll need to do is look past your Y-pipe and throttle body. There is a linkage attached to your valve covers that looks like an upside down "U" with an appendage attached to the throttle body. Push the clamps together and remove the tubing and rubber connectors. There should be a small hollow nub sticking out of each valve cover. those are your breathers. if memory serves they ought to just pull out. so yank them out with a pliers, take them to the local car parts store and get two new of the same. it should cost about 2 bucks per. just plop them in, put it back together, start your car, let it heat up, and take her for a spin. Let us know how it goes and if there still are symptoms. Note: the symptoms may occur for a few minutes after replacing the breathers.

·
what will the future hold
916 Posts
Its seems you might have blowby. Which is gases that escape past your rings. Take the oil cap off and see if it smokes puffs out of there. Then remove the oil dip stick for the same thing. If that is the case you probably have a cranked ring land or busted ring. Next thing to do would be a leak down or compression test. That should give you a solid answer.

Will

1 - 16 of 16 Posts