Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this issue has been raised again and again and the problem is normal and not really a problem in our cars, but I have few, specific technical questions.

For the last month or two, I've noticed a puff or two of white smoke (white only, no blue or black) upon start-up in the morning and occasionally after an extended idle on the way to work. I think these symptoms eliminate the possibility that the smoke is caused by either a blown head gasket or bad valve stem seals. So if my diagnosis is correct, then the problem is a coolant leak or condensation somewhere. The car is garaged every night, so I don't think that weather/temps should bother it. So, my specific question is where/how do I look for/find/fix this leak?

Also, in the summer months, my coolant level has always run low fairly quickly. (About once a month) When this happens, the "Trac Off" and "Check Engine" lights come on. I would simply re-fill the coolant and the warning lights would turn off. However, this summer I have had to pull the negative battery cable loose and count to ten before putting the power back to it to re-set the ECU and turn off the warning lights? This week the lights came on and will not turn off unless I remove the fuse??!?!?!?

Are these two symptoms, 1) White smoke and 2) Warning lights, part of the same problem? Or, do I have 1) a coolant leak and 2)a short in the wiring somewhere?

The coolant level looks good to me. There are no other signs of any strain on the engine. The temps stay perfect and there are no "drips" under the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:rolleyes:

·
0 Posts
I would think at start up the "white smoke" is caused by excess oil, which burns up, an produces the white smoke, If I use my car everything, I rarely get it, but then when my car sits for more then a day or so, I'll get smoke.

2 RIP

Z

·
0 Posts
my car has always emits a puff of white/bluish smoke parked in my basement garage in the Bay Area, but when the car is parked outside at 90+ degree weather, no more smokes in the morning. weird.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Blue or black smoke is oil.

White smoke is water or coolant.

How many miles on your car? Perhaps you have a blown head gasket or nuked water jackets.

If you're using coolant as fast as you're talking about you probably have a cracked hose that is leaking or a BHG/water jacket issue...

You can get dye to put in your coolant, and a special bulb to shine that will illuminate the leak.

I'd go that route and try and find a cracked hose.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts