Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my '95 6spd TT 36k miles with downpipe, exhaust, and HKS BOV idles very rough and low (about 400-500rpm) and it sputters while idling. Every time it "puts" white smoke comes out. It can't be condensation because it starts to smoke after about 8 mins of warming up. There are no smoke in that first 8 mins.

The car is also very slow and jerks a lot while driving in the lower rpms (under 3000rpm). It feels like the car is hesitating. I already changed all my coils and connectors. Checked for codes and there aren't any except for code 42 which disappeared after resetting the ECU (it might have been triggered when I installed my TRD tach).

Please help me out! TIA

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and another thing, I changed about 90% of the vacuum hoses and it hasn't changed a thing.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should I check my rad for oil while the car's been cooled down? Can I just check my rad overflow or check the rad itself?

·
I'm back!
6,712 Posts
SupraSaiyan said:
Should I check my rad for oil while the car's been cooled down? Can I just check my rad overflow or check the rad itself?
The catch tank probably won't have anything in it. It might be a good idea to drain the radiator and inspect the water though.

This really sounds like a blown head gasket with the symptoms you are mentioning, especially the rough idle.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, after a hard drive, it actually idles normal. But the rough idle comes and goes and happens far too often. I guess its time for a compression/leakdown test.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you guys think its safe for me to put on 300miles non stop? I'm planning on heading down to Horsepowerfreaks/Torquefreaks to have them take care of my problem.

·
Registered
707 Posts
HPF's will take good care of the car while it is there and give you a complete rundown on what's up. Beware it will cost you though. They are in Business for themselves just like any other business owner out there. But they are also quite fair about it. I'd trust Chris , John and shawn to work on my car anytime.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bill P said:
HPF's will take good care of the car while it is there and give you a complete rundown on what's up. Beware it will cost you though. They are in Business for themselves just like any other business owner out there. But they are also quite fair about it. I'd trust Chris , John and shawn to work on my car anytime.
Chris Bergman (SP?) works on cars too? I know he owns HPF but I didn't know he also worked on cars at TF. Now I'm confident!

What are the going rates for a headgasket? I want to get a rough idea. Thanks guys!

·
Banned
942 Posts
SupraSaiyan said:
Chris Bergman (SP?) works on cars too? I know he owns HPF but I didn't know he also worked on cars at TF. Now I'm confident!

What are the going rates for a headgasket? I want to get a rough idea. Thanks guys!
Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Just so you all know, TorqueFreaks is privately owned by Sean. I own HorsepowerFreaks. Our businesses are side by side but not one in the same. HorsepowerFreaks is in the parts business not the service business so when I do work on a Supra it is usually my own.

I would gladly take a look at your car if you wanted me to, but all the work and warranty, etc. would be done by TorqueFreaks. Your car will be in good hands however... they always have 10-15 Supras in there among the several dozen other cars they're working on.

Take care,
Chris.

·
Banned
942 Posts
Could be a number of things. A cheap thing you could test would be compression, check out what the plugs look like, look and listen for boost leaks, etc. White smoke is often from the turbo leaking oil or the exhaust valves. The hesitation could be from a seized turbo as well. Your #1 turbo may be fried. Will the car create a normal amount of boost? Do you hear a funny howl sound when it does? You could try running a thicker oil to see if the white smoke goes away. The BOV could be set up too loose causing the poor idle. Make sure it isn't bleeding boost at idle. Make sure there are no leaks around it. Have someone rev the car and let off while you put your hand over the outlet of the BOV. You should feel a puff of air everytime the throttle blade is closed after being revved. If the BOV is vented to the atmosphere, the idle will always be bad when coming to a stop. The only cure for this is to tighten up the BOV, re-route the bov back in, or to get a MAP ECU or AEM or VPC. This should give you some ideas to look at.

Take care,
Chris.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ChrisBergemann said:
Could be a number of things. A cheap thing you could test would be compression, check out what the plugs look like, look and listen for boost leaks, etc. White smoke is often from the turbo leaking oil or the exhaust valves. The hesitation could be from a seized turbo as well. Your #1 turbo may be fried. Will the car create a normal amount of boost? Do you hear a funny howl sound when it does? You could try running a thicker oil to see if the white smoke goes away. The BOV could be set up too loose causing the poor idle. Make sure it isn't bleeding boost at idle. Make sure there are no leaks around it. Have someone rev the car and let off while you put your hand over the outlet of the BOV. You should feel a puff of air everytime the throttle blade is closed after being revved. If the BOV is vented to the atmosphere, the idle will always be bad when coming to a stop. The only cure for this is to tighten up the BOV, re-route the bov back in, or to get a MAP ECU or AEM or VPC. This should give you some ideas to look at.

Take care,
Chris.
Thanks a lot Chris!

I will try most of that before Friday. I've tried to get in touch with you by calling the HPF toll free and couldn't get ahold of you. Anyways, I will be picking up a few items from you while I'm there.

Could you PM me your direct extension?

Leo

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The car is running like absolute crap now. It was running fine since coming back from Portland.

I can build 7~8psi in 2000rpm but the car is only going about 20mph or so. Talk about spool!

I did a boost leak test over the weekend and found the nut that I took off to install the HKS SSBOV was missing and it was leaking from there. Right after I put a nut on, nothing changed. It dropped boost slower I guess you could say.

However, I did hear the saucer looking thing around the EGR leaking but I don't feel any air coming out of it.

In the attached pic, the red circle is where the sound is coming from and when I pinch the two green vacuum line, the sound goes away.

Another thing I noticed is my car sounds extremely quiet. I sounds like it was stock. I have 3" downpipe and HKS Ti w/o silencer and it was super loud when I first installed it when the car was running fine.

Is this normal? Am I going the right direction to fixing my problem?

·
Banned
942 Posts
Right next to that is the IACV... a big rubber hose goes into it. That controls idle and will make an air sucking sound (especially when you start your car cold). The EGR may also make a sound as well as it recirculates air back into the intake stream.

Have you done a compression test?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chris, Torquefreaks did the compression test and said it was fine. So the sound I'm hearing is not a leak?

·
Banned
942 Posts
SupraSaiyan said:
Chris, Torquefreaks did the compression test and said it was fine. So the sound I'm hearing is not a leak?
It could be a crack back there in your EGR. You could always buy our EGR block off plates and remove your EGR. You will probably not pass DEQ when you do that, however.

The way I test for leaks is to use a testing tool I made. Go to home depot and get a plumbing end cap that is the same diameter as the IC pipe coming off your turbos. Get a air compressor quick disconnect and tap and drill a hole in the plumbing end cap and screw it into it. Then pull off one of the IC pipes and insert the plumbing end cap in one end of it and clamp it down. Then hook the air compressor up to it and pressurize your motor. Make sure you have the air pressure turned down to around 20psi or so. Then listen for leaks. They could be anywhere. :)

Chris.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just put the car in temp TTC and the its still hesitating... I lost almost all hope :(

Removing the EGR will be too much hassle for me to put it back on when I do the inspection.

Will do another boost leak test this weekend. Thanks Chris!

G

·
Does it smell rich at all?

Check your spark with a spark tester. Check fuel pressure, etc...Go over the basics first, and work your way outward.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cloak said:
Does it smell rich at all?

Check your spark with a spark tester. Check fuel pressure, etc...Go over the basics first, and work your way outward.
Spark plugs looked lean to TorqueFreaks, but fuel pressure was fine. Does not smell rich but my dyno's show running extremely rich at WOT. Put the car in TTC and when it doesn't hesitate, I hit 1.2 bars with only downpipe and HKS Ti and no BCC.

Check for boost leak and couldn't hear anything and reading from the boost gauge I'm losing about 0.1 bar/2secs. Also replaced all new coil and coil clips.

My next attempt will be new o2's which I want to avoid buying....:(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts