Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

I just finally got my car done and now it runs great....but when the car idles i get white smoke, specily when i just gave it something to do!

Besizes that nothing seems wrong... it uses some oil but no water.

Whats wrong whit it ?

It's a 1JZ whit CT12a and it's got around 64000miles on the engine before i swaped it

·
Registered
929 Posts
i get the same thing. i think it could just be that water might drip down from where the heater vsv is and touches the hot exhaust parts. at least that what i think my problem is.

·
Registered
297 Posts
80er - if this is actually SMOKE as opposed to steam.. its one thing and one thing only, from your description of when it happens its a dead giveaway.

Blown turbo seals.

Supratrbox ... yours is also probably blown turbo seals. When you free up backpressure on the 1J (by for instance hollowing out the cat) the turbo seals normally blow very shortly afterwards.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it's when its happening that is the giveaway. Classic turbo seal symptoms are wispy smoke coming from the exhaust after coming to stop at traffic lights, or when idling down after a boosted run. It normally starts within a minute of coming to a stop and continues until you start the car moving again.

Coupled with the fact that the 1J is known to blow its turbo seals regularly its almost a certainty.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Just curious.... how can freeing up the exhaust system cause the turbo seals to blow? Isn't restriciton in the exhaust, backpressure, the main killer?

·
Really Tall White Guy
1,085 Posts
I would assume(don't take my word) that since you free the exhaust up to a MUCH greater level than stock(thus giving the ability to boost more) you stress hte little buggers out and kill them.

·
Registered
297 Posts
i dunno.. for some reason the backpressure is needed, and when you remove it the turbo's tend to go. Maybe this is the reason for the weird Y pipe design? Who knows.

All i know is that it happens..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts