Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
10'S BABY
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching and reading about this for a week or so now and I still cant point my finger directly on anything.
Upon startup I have a lil smoke which is a valve stem seal problem...that i know
When I drive and get off the throttle I get a lot of white smoke..I mean a lot....Anytime I rev.. white smoke. I've only had this car for a month or so and comp tested fine and leak down tested fine as well before I got it.. A few days ago it was cutting out around 2500 RPM or so...Today I pulled the Autolight plugs that were in it and replaced them with NGK's that were pre gapped to .031. No more cutting out and idles and drives fine, but still lot of smoke. Today for the first time I either was pinging or backfiring at WOT near red line..after changing the plugs..I just dont get it...Im running stock boost on a BPU car..My thoughts on the smoke are turbo going out.....and on the pinging(at stock boost????) or backfiring I have no idea...This was on 91 octane.
O when I pulled the Autolite plugs they looked good..no signs of anything bad...with exception of a little oil on #6, but all in all...good
What do you guys think? Thanks

·
SUPRAS FOR LIFE
4,188 Posts
hey man....do u smell a pungent odor...check ure coolant..see if there is any oil in it....if so..the oil n the coolant is mixing...due to a head gasket failure....lots n lots of white smoke is due to coolant burning!!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Synthetic oil like Mobil 1 will smoke bright white when it is exposed to high heat, say via a hole in your piston, but you did a compression check right so there's no holes in your pistons? It could also be a real bad turbo seal going, that would be my 2nd guess, Last guess is a blown head gasket with coolant leaking into a cylinder but this rarely happened on a 2JZ. One more, could be broken piston oil rings...

Good luck

·
10'S BABY
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well the guy I bought it from..Monty187 on SF.. Said a comp test was done and all was good. The car feels ok..not bad internals feeling..i hope anyway...Tonight I noticed it being more sluggish under boost. So I am going to go with some better twins and ill keep u posted. Thanks a lot

·
Team 10+ Year Member
3,510 Posts
So your problem was yoru turbos right? I am having some of the same issues with white smoke on the decel, I think my number 2 turbo is burning oil. Can you let me know how you solved your problem?

·
10'S BABY
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure thing bro. I just replaced the entire assembly. I am glad I did. #1 had quite a but of shaft play as well as #2. Problem solved. You can get some low mileage stock twins off the forum. Just get some from someone who went single. You can get them for around 300.00. Just be sure to soak all the bolts in WD-40 before you even attempt to start and even then some are hard to get off.

·
Team 10+ Year Member
3,510 Posts
Yea I figured it was my turbos.... hmm do replace the stock twins or to go single.. now THAT is the question.. thanks for you reply +1 for the help bud!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts