Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our good buddy that some of you might know set a Gen 5 Viper stock motor 1/2 mile record a couple weeks ago in Ocala. The car was put together at Nth Moto, and this was the video we were able to document and put together. Quite an effective vehicle!

https://youtu.be/t-y9eei0Cmo

·
Boost Junkie
12,600 Posts
Gen 5 Viper is the new Supra. Are you listening Toyota? Probably not.

Def a bad ass car.

Steve K.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Gen 5 is pretty effective at a variety of tasks. I'm curious what the overall RWD stock motor record in the 1/2 mile is. An AWD Huracán TT went 202 on a stock motor, evidently.

·
Boost Junkie
12,600 Posts
Sal in his Gen 2 did low 22X. That's the record for RWD. Calvo Motorsports has been 218ish with a Gen 5 in not so great conditions.

Steve

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
True, but those were not OEM stock motors I don't think, were they? Not that it matters at 1/2 mile speeds over 190; a built motor is just added safety in some regard. But it's cool to be able to buy a factory car and have that much power capability with just bolt on designs and power adders.

·
Boost Junkie
12,600 Posts
Missed the stock motor part. For the Viper it's 198.

Steve

·
Registered
242 Posts
I dig the way they keep the engine bay OEM looking, definitely know where I will be taking my car. Awesome vid!

·
Boost Junkie
12,600 Posts
Calvo or one of his customers I believe.

Steve

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Calvo or one of his customers I believe.

Steve
Hmm, that's interesting; will have to look into that further.

Between all RWD exotics like Supras, Corvettes, Vipers, Ford GTs, Porsche GT2s, etc, the Gen 5 definitely has a significant advantage combining sheer displacement with a bit of "new-ish" technology. Great platform.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Great video. NTH builds some of the best projects around!

As for the GEN V, having owned a 2015 Viper, they are hit or miss. There is a reason I sold mine.

·
Boost Junkie
12,600 Posts
Great video. NTH builds some of the best projects around!

As for the GEN V, having owned a 2015 Viper, they are hit or miss. There is a reason I sold mine.
Care to expand on that a bit?

Thanks!

Steve

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Care to expand on that a bit?

Thanks!

Steve
The quality control for the GEN V is all over the place. The most serious issue with it is the defective motors which all years have seen 2013-2017. A lot of recalls. I purchased mine brand new and with only 120 miles on the car the paint on the hood and hinge covers began to fail. The paint blistered and bubbled to the point it began peeling off. Took it to the dealership where it was a nightmare of an experience. They basically didn't want anything to do with the warranty repair. I had to do all the leg work on my own and in the end it wasn't Chrysler that helped me, it was Prefix, the company who paints the Viper. Dodge dealerships are among the worst you will ever experience. Chrysler were giving owners a hard time when it came to engine replacements for an issue they (Chrysler) were at fault for. After my friends motor failed I decided to sell mine with only 1000 miles on it.

Don't get me wrong, its an excellent performing car, its track times back that. Having owned a 99 ACR, the GEN V is also the best Viper ever. Just some quality control issues along with some really poor customer service. I really enjoy modifying my cars and can't drive them stock. The fact that Chrysler would deny my warranty claim due to a aftermarket exhaust or intake made me not want to own the car anymore. This is what many owners with defective engines are facing with some of these GEN Vs.

Here are just some of the issues owners are experiencing:
Rear Diff. whine (Recall)
1-2 shift problems (Transmission recall)
R28--R29 Oil contamination and crankcase vent (Engine recall)
Rear glass blows out when defroster is on.
Horn sounds for no reason (Recall)
Door sensors unlock doors for no reason (Recall)
Struts leaking
Paint issues

My hood replacement

·
Boost Junkie
12,600 Posts
Thanks for sharing. My buddy had a 2013 and had the rear diff noise/vibration from 80-90mph. It took Dodge about 3 months to replace the diff. I didn't know about those other issues. The engine failure problem is troublesome. Maybe it's good I can't afford one along with the Supra LOL.

Steve K.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Thanks for sharing. My buddy had a 2013 and had the rear diff noise/vibration from 80-90mph. It took Dodge about 3 months to replace the diff. I didn't know about those other issues. The engine failure problem is troublesome. Maybe it's good I can't afford one along with the Supra LOL.

Steve K.
Yeah I know I'm missing a couple other issues people are experiencing but those are the most common. Some owners get lucky and have a problem free car, others no so much. Would I give up a Supra for a GEN V Viper? Hell no! NA power and low revving engine gets old. At least for me it did.

·
Boost Junkie
12,600 Posts
Yeah I know I'm missing a couple other issues people are experiencing but those are the most common. Some owners get lucky and have a problem free car, others no so much. Would I give up a Supra for a GEN V Viper? Hell no! NA power and low revving engine gets old. At least for me it did.
Yes, that's why I didn't do it. His car was mint, but I couldn't give the Supra up for it.

Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts