Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about doing the EGR mod to free up some space and have a cleaner looking engine bay. Before I do it I wanted to find out what the point of the EGR is in the first place? Are there any added advantages or disadvantages after doing this?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just disabled it. Didn't take it out. People claim it doesn't add any power or speed. They did 1/4 mile runs with and without and there was no diff. It is actually supposed to cool the engine by diluting the intake 21% O2 with exhaust byproducts. Creating a less O2 rich burn. Cooler and less emmisions. But for performance sake, how much sense does it make to put your exhaust back into your engine? Esp hot gases. It is also supposed to help with overheat of cyl 6. Hope this helps

·
Old Member
167 Posts
Agree w/ six-n-twins. I did the EGR mod - put in the blanking plate (recommend that you get the laser cut one from Mohd), and the resistor - MIL disable. The main motivation for the EGR mod is to prevent overheating of #6 that can occur from the EGR leaking- especially when at BPU. No discernable impact on performance one way or the other.

·
Very Senior Member
9,964 Posts
Yeah - I did the plate and resistor mods.
A problem I had been having with cold starts apparently went away after that.
The plate mod is easy to undo in case someone needs to go back to pollution control compliance.

K

·
0 Posts
2 plate EGR Mod

Won't it eliminate the possiblity of the EGR leaking boost if you do the 2 plate EGR mod? So I've hear. I have the plate and ready to install it. I am open to any inputs.

Kaz

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
In my 94 manifold, there is a tube cast inside that actually dumps the recirculated EGR gas up around the number 1 cylinder. It doesn't dump at the number 6 as commonly thought. Hust a little trivia.

·
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Supra400hptt,

I'm just curious........did you run that 12.36 with your 18" volk rims and 275s? What was your 60'? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
It was on the Volks and 275/35 18 Yoko AVS. The sixty foot was a 1.9. Usually the car does around 12.5 to 12.6 with 2.0 sixty foot times when I get things right. A good trap speed for me is 117 mph with a 118 mph one time. Stock clutch also. This year I'll be putting in a better clutch and probably get slicks or drag radials. 60ft should improve a bunch.

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
supra400hptt said:
In my 94 manifold, there is a tube cast inside that actually dumps the recirculated EGR gas up around the number 1 cylinder. It doesn't dump at the number 6 as commonly thought. Hust a little trivia.
What I understand is the location of the EGR cooler on the back of the cylinder head right behind #6 is the heat problem, where the gas is dumped is not the problem.

·
silvermkiv
448 Posts
A buddy and I just did the egr block plate instal on my 94. We did not use the torx wrench and found that a 5mm socket works very well. Just remove the 12mm nut first, then use the 5mm on the torx stud. The biggest problem was lining the holes on the new block plate back up to get the torx stud back in. All totaled it probably took us like 20 mins.

·
Very Senior Member
9,964 Posts
parboy said:
......... The biggest problem was lining the holes on the new block plate back up to get the torx stud back in. ..........
Suggestion to others -
use a nail set (something with a similar shape to line up the holes). I used two (one on each side) and it went very smooth.

Someone needs to add this to the writeup on mkiv.com.

·
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Parboy,

Those are nice rims! I didn't know they would fit a supra. How wide are they, what size tires do you have and how much did they cost you?

·
silvermkiv
448 Posts
Thanks boosted! The wheels are SSR integral's 18x8 front with 35 offset, the rears are 18x9 with 38 offset. The tires are the bridgestone pole position s-03's 235/40/18 fronts and 275/35/18 rears. The wheels only weigh 18lbs front and 19lbs rear. I haven't driven much on the tires yet, but from the few hundred miles I have on them I absolutely LOVE them! They dont wander like the yoko intermediates that were on there before. I got the wheel/tire set up from Luke at www.tirerack.com for $2100 shipped. Just the wheels were about $300 each.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts