Supra Forums banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
N/A cars are sexy. Nice work guys. Responding to earlier questions of whether one should bother buying mods for an na or not: I'd do it just for the improved sound! An intake doesn't cost much, and you can purchase an exhaust that you can grow into with a turbo. I say go for it!

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts

·
Banned
486 Posts
This forum section including most of the threads are there for NA freaks like gfallon, flzboy, carlos and so on.
Including myself....

Please use your own thread to call people liars and tell us what NAs cannot do and how slow they are.

Thanks

PS: some people just refuse to understand that you can build a nice and pretty fast NA.
Of course it's not the bang for the buck and it is nothing compared to a singled Supra, to others it's just great fun.

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
Aren't the 97+ Preludes vtek? hahaha
I assumed it was the prior gen since they are like lemmings in California. In anycase, racing auto 97+ won't win you praises.

·
Actual Member Since 2003
3,210 Posts
I think LRG_SOUP will be posting up some big numbers soon. I hate California.
hopefully within the next couple of months when we get to install the built head. =)

·
7M Fanatic
3,081 Posts
What have you done to your engine 7mguy?

A lot.......
In fact, the last time it went back together, I skimped, and didn't put in gappless rings.
So before it goes back in, the pistons will be popped out again, and get a set.
That will allow me to dump the second compression ring, and it's drag.

But main points are, 12:1 compression, TRD272 x 10.8 cams, lots of coatings, roller bearings on the oil pump drive,
down to a single belt on the front, for the alternator, and as soon as it's been broke in with the old intake system, 50mm ITBs and stand alone.
The stand alone will allow me to explore a 9500 red line (only been reving it to 8500 until now).

Trying to come up with a remote power brake booster, since I can't run the booster & master with the itbs.
Looking at either the Buick GN elec/hydro system, or just the Toyota vacuum set up remote mounted, with a vacuum pump.
(big cams make for lousy vacuum)
Howe makes a very compact single outlet master that will clear my itbs,
and use a GM clutch slave to actuate the remote brake master.
With 13" front, 12" rear rotors, and R32 calipers, I can't get to 1G braking without havng NFL linebacker legs.
So no power brakes are out of the question.......
It's the little things that drive me up a tree :(

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hmm so u only run the top compression rings? If so didn't know you could do that. How much hp is that worth in your application.

Was also thinking that the thinner vvti rods would be better for an all NA build (2jz).

·
7M Fanatic
3,081 Posts
F1 engines from a few years back, before the FIA mandated 2 races from each engine, ran a single compression ring, like a 2-stroke.
Not even an oil ring.
Now that the engines must last more than 50 or so laps (not to mention qualifying) times 2, they now run an oil ring with their one compression ring.

The Toyota 503e Group-C engine that I had, ran a single compression ring, and it was made to stand up to 3+ bar boost.
I am sure the engine was freshened after every event, but the drag does kill top end.

The only way I would halfway trust a stock rod at the speed I turn my engine, is if they had the beams polished, and re-shot peined.
Even then, they would have a limited life due to stress.
My Crower (the real ones, not brat son's chinese junk) are lighter than stock by over a 100 grams.
Oh, and I run titanium wrist pins also.
As the rpm goes up, the stress on parts goes up exponentially, so you want really strong, but light parts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
An n/a Supra will get embarrassed by a stock Civic Si. It's a waste of time.
Humorous quote, friend has an 8th gen and I spank it hands down, also own a 6th gen and the supra is crazy compared to it...

All i have is IHE, though a lot of my interior has been removed and my wheels have been replaced with lighter ones, I am still 6ft tall and 250lbs...

·
Actual Member Since 2003
3,210 Posts
I am hitting 245ish rwhp at the moment :drama:. Going to be tuned on E85 soon with my built head and custom headers soon. Hoping to achieve around 260ish rwhp.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts