Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased TEIN FLEX for my car. I am trying to put it on by myself with the help of others.
Anyway, tonite, I have tried my best to take off the rear suspension. but I couldn't.
I unbolt the bottom part of the suspension and top part (3 bolts). I also disconnect the sway bar connection.
It's still hard to take off. Do I need the spring compressor???
Please help!!

Any advise will be appreciate. Thank you!

·
4 T's and an X
2,117 Posts
You do not need a spring compressor to remove the stock springs/strut assembly. When I pulled mine, the rears are easier. Wait till you get to the fronts. You still dont need a compressor for the fronts but the upper control arm can make it difficult.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^how did you do it?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
The rear takes me about 15 minutes tops to do. The front is a little pain, but in 25 minutes I can do it. The biggest pain for the front is putting in the shock.

What I did for the rear is I pushed down on the rear brakes and tugged it to the side and then I had enough room to work with there. I don't even need to remove the sway bar link in the rear, but I do need to do it in the front. Just look how it moves up and down and see how much room you have to fiddle with. You'll get it done easily by doing that.

Gl.

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
You can always get someone to stand on the brake rotor hat, that will get it low enought to get the shock out... good luck, the front is the worse... aight peace :chicken:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KumiJr said:
The rear takes me about 15 minutes tops to do. The front is a little pain, but in 25 minutes I can do it. The biggest pain for the front is putting in the shock.

What I did for the rear is I pushed down on the rear brakes and tugged it to the side and then I had enough room to work with there. I don't even need to remove the sway bar link in the rear, but I do need to do it in the front. Just look how it moves up and down and see how much room you have to fiddle with. You'll get it done easily by doing that.

Gl.
KumiJr, how did you push down the rear brake? It seems so tight. Did you use any tools to push it down? which bolt did you take out?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BoostAddctn said:
You can always get someone to stand on the brake rotor hat, that will get it low enought to get the shock out... good luck, the front is the worse... aight peace :chicken:

got it! Thank's! I will have someone step on it.:)

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
All you need to unbolt in the stabilizer bar bold, the bottom shock bolt and the top 3 ones in that order. step down on the rotor to get room until the 3 studs up top are clear and angle those badboys out. it jsut took me 6-7 hrs to get 3 of 4 out this evening.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^noted...thank's...I will try tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Good luck having some step on the brakes while you are under removing that strut. I stepped on it myself to push it down and I tucked the strut/shock assembly towards me, and then it would come down.

Remember to atleast loosen the top 17mm bolt, or else you will find it very hard to loosen once it is off the car.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
KumiJr said:
Good luck having some step on the brakes while you are under removing that strut. I stepped on it myself to push it down and I tucked the strut/shock assembly towards me, and then it would come down.

Remember to atleast loosen the top 17mm bolt, or else you will find it very hard to loosen once it is off the car.

Did you mention about the center bolt on top of the strut?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spoolin Turbo said:
so how bad is the fronts? Any tips to give me since I will be doing those on my car? What should I do about the control arm? Does it need to be removed?
thanks
I haven't done the front yet.

Guys, any advise.....

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
NITECRUISER said:
Did you mention about the center bolt on top of the strut?

Thats what I mean by when I say 17mm on the strut. The through bolt on the bottom is a 19mm.

I'm awfully tired, thus I might sound confused or something, but it is just me being tired.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Spoolin Turbo said:
so how bad is the fronts? Any tips to give me since I will be doing those on my car? What should I do about the control arm? Does it need to be removed?
thanks
the front is a pain. the control arm will have to go on the fronts. ull have to remove radiator resevoir on the driver's side. the bolds are also hard to reach with a cheater bar

·
Old School
4,051 Posts
You don't need to remove the control arms in the front. Disconnect the sway bar at the top, then remove the 3 nuts on the top of the shock, the 17mm bolt at the bottom, then move the shock around at the bottom so you can remove the 2 bolts that hold the mounting bracket to the lower control arm. Remove the bracket, then stand on the brake caliper while wiggling the shock out through the upper control arm.

Much easier.

·
LD President
502 Posts
yeah, use a prybar to move the rear suspension down, it fits real easy. the rears are definitely the easiest. fronts take more time due to the a-arm like everyone has said. had ryan23 teach me.

·
Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,088 Posts
For the front, just remove the top 3 nuts and the bottom one, have someone step on it until the lower part clears the arm, then slide down first, then when the top clears the fenders slide it out. O yea make sure you unbolt the swaybar links it will make the arm drop a little bit more.

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
I noticed in the FSM that the center lock nut in the middle of the suspension support is a non-reusable item. Do the Teins come with their own or are you buying a replacement from Toyota? Need to know since I have a set of Tein SS on the way.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally, I got it done. It needs 2 person for doing this installation.

To answer the question above, Tein Flex came with the top mount and came in assembled. Don''t need to un-assembled the stock one.

It's actually easier than I thought for the install.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts