Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting the T-78 and running it with stock fuel untill I get the money to upgrade the fuel system. I know that you have to run low boost (14-15psi) and change the wastegate spring and monitor it with an egt. I also understand the risk of boost spike. I want to know if you can run stock MAF with this kit. Does it have an O2 sensor fitting? Can you run the stock intercooler also? I plan on doing this just for a little while untill i get more cash, but I don't want to wait untill I have all the money because my twins are on their last leg. Is there any other useful info that anyone can give me? Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey
I run the T78 kit with stock fuel and MAF. I have ordered but not installed my low boost spring, so I have not even ran a full throttle pass/highway run with it, in this configuration. The kit comes ready to run, except for the pipe to use the stock MAF. The O2 sensor bung is on the DP that comes with the kit...it's a complete kit, unless you want to use a midpipe to replace your 2nd cat section, and you would have to buy that(HKS, BLitz)...or make one like I did:) I also made my intake pipe for my maf. Email privately for some pics..
SH
T78

M

·
0 Posts
My friend Andy (Gritsak) has put the T78 kit on his nice supra without upgrading the fuel, ask him about this, he will tell you more. congrat for having a nice single turbo!!!

i just a single turbo, plan to put in before the fuel upgrade.
but i really wanna do fuel soon after it.

good luck!

·
boost is good
772 Posts
Ming said:
My friend Andy (Gritsak) has put the T78 kit on his nice supra without upgrading the fuel, ask him about this, he will tell you more.
yep ming is right..i have the t78 on stock fuel, but i have a vpc and a fmic. theres a guy in indianapolis i think that runs stock i/c, fuel and maf and hasnt have any problems as far as i know...it can be done safely but you just have to watch yourself and definitely stay away from the upper end pulls.

O

·
0 Posts
I had the T-78 installed a few weeks ago and run stock fuel with the boost set at 1.1 bar. I run an FMIC, S-AFC and VPC, though so I don't know if I meet the criteria set in the origional post, but I can tell you that upper end highway pulls are not in the package. Otherwise it runs fine. A couple of things to think about, though.

1. Your stock twins are crapping out so do you have a lot of miles on the car? Mine has 152500. If so, when is the last time you repalced the coil packs and the plugs? My coil packs were original and just the addition of new ones made a signifigant difference.

2. Belts. If your going to lay down some serious numbers, consider changing the timing belts and main drive belt. cheap insurance.

3. Cltuch. I roasted my clutch on the dyno last night as it was a stock unit. When it caught for the last time, the dyno registered 463.6 rwhp. But the car sounded great for a while. :)

I'm going with the sprung hub and light flywheel configuration and try to get as close to 500 rwhp before I decide to install the unrated fuel, cams, ecu rev limiter upgrade, and everthing else that needs to be done. I just reread my post and it sounds kind of preachy. Sorry about that, but it's been a busy week with tuning the car.

Eric

T-(yamat)78

I

·
0 Posts
I've noticed lotsa members replace the restrictive MAFsensor with the vpc. Mine's a J-spec that uses MAP. Would it be necessary to install a vpc for cars using MAPsensors?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts