Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember a thread a while back about the use of Seafoam, but cannot find it. Anywho, who has used this product in their engines, and how well does it work? Plus any pros/cons would greatly be appreciated it.

-Alex

·
I blow up Toyota's
420 Posts
I used it and my car blew up the same day. Lost three quarts of oil in a few hours some how :dunno:

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I was hoping for some good results:(

·
I blow up Toyota's
420 Posts
I've heard good things about it too but from my personal experiance I would never use it again

·
Registered
189 Posts
Good Results don't often come in a can. If they did they would be advertised on Every TV Station on the planet. Seafoam does have its uses just not sure what they are since I bought some and tried in on many different tasks, none of them succesful.

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
Seafoam?? I used a seafoam spray to clean the grim off of some of my stuff. It worked great... Maybe I'm referring to something else though...?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I used seafoam twice on one of my supras.

I couldn't pass smog, and saw the "how to seafoam a supra thread" back in the day. So I picked up a can put some through the brake booster like and some in the gas tank. Next day had it smogged and it passed, I don't know if it was the seafoam or luck but yeah.....since then I used another can just beacuse I got it for free

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
ive used seafoam in 3 supra engines and my boat engine...always worked well, never had a problem, made car run smoother, cleared the crap out of it and was one hell of a smoke show.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Try trikkling a small stream of water the same way you'll get the same results, what its doing is permeating the carbon, then the FIRE happens casuing the liquid to expand cracking the carbon off and out your exhuast. One small not so good thing can happen, Carbon is like diamond IF a small chunk gets loose and lodged lets say between your piston and your cylinder wall it aint gonna be good.

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmmm so I am getting more nay than yay on this. I figured removing the carbon build up from the engine would be good, but damn, looks like there are people with too many bad side-effects. Now I am skeptible.

·
7m Power
32 Posts
a friend of mine that works at autozone used it on my supra. It made the car smoke for like 2 hours, i was scared as sh!t. It help me find out that i have a leak by the exhaust manifold. About a month late i took the emissions test and passed. The previous owner could not get it to pass. Seafoam may have helped or maybe it because they didnt put my car on the treadmill. the emissions ppl had me get in the car and rev it to 2500rpm and hold it. I've got a video on my phone of the car doin the emission test , i could post it if any1 cares to see.

·
Shop Tech All Around Auto
510 Posts
I've used Seafoam a few times on different vehicles. It will smoke really bad for a while, but it did seem to clean the plenum out some.

For fuel systems, instead of Seafoam, I like to use Ford's carb. cleaner that pours in the tank. It won't clean the intake and vacuum system, but works wonders in the fuel system and cylinders. The stuffs pretty potent, so mix it with a full tank, and make sure you don't get any on you, or your clothes. Iirc, it comes in a red and white can, and should run $8 to $12. This is what I'd use on a turbo car, takes longer to work, but don't have to worry about pushing any carbon particles through the turbo.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
seafoam is bad for cats as well from waht I remember...

but NEVER add it to your oil, I know they tell you to, but DON'T!

·
Me
242 Posts
seafoam is bad for cats as well from waht I remember...

but NEVER add it to your oil, I know they tell you to, but DON'T!
your supposed to change oil afterwards.

i poured some in gas, brakebooster, and oil. lotta smoke but didnt really notice a difference in my idle or a smooter ride(my car was running fine before) but it was cool when all the smoke came out.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts