·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
Ive ridden 'em....didnt like the dry clutch so i stayed Jap

·
Registered
861 Posts
lawdogg said:
Thanks for the input guys. Yeah I'll have to do some comparo shopping with the Jap bikes - dry clutch is something to think about. My alternatives are an R6 or R1 right now ... GSXR1000 is a damn good deal tho. :)
The midrange on the yammie is bleh in stock form.
Gix FTW...Although the 750 is the best of both power and handling worlds...
/Thread

-Steve

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
doug said:
buying a ducati is like buying a .45 Caliber firearm... its about over compensating :D
No, it's about getting it right the first time. :fawk:

Dry clutches kick ass.

I owned several jap bikes prior to my Duc. They're unrefined trash by comparison, I'll never go back.

·
Pimp of Centralia
2,815 Posts
Simba said:
No, it's about getting it right the first time. :fawk:

Dry clutches kick ass.

I owned several jap bikes prior to my Duc. They're unrefined trash by comparison, I'll never go back.
everyone bare with Simba... he mow's lawns for a living and just can't get away from that sound :fawk:

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
doug said:
everyone bare with Simba... he mow's lawns for a living and just can't get away from that sound :fawk:
Go buy some fairing neon or "R" stickers or something. :fawk:

·
road hazard
452 Posts
uponone76 said:
Save your money and get a gsxr 1000. You'll be a much happier man and have a lot more money left in your pocket. . .
hell ya!

sure, they're a dime a dozen but they cost less, parts are aplenty, work is easy to do, huge aftermarket, if you damage something...it won't cost you an arm and a leg...

my plan was to get the K6 gsxr750 when it came out but i just couldn't go without a bike long enough. i was seriously looking into the ducati 749 dark and the 1000rr before i decided on the gsxr1000. the ducati's long run maintenance just didn't fit the amount of riding i do and the 1000rr just wasn't a full package compared to the king of 2005 AND 2006.

you can't get away from the gsxr1000...huge power plant, slipper clutch, power of liter in a small, nimble package. its extremely fun to ride on the street and at the track.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I owned a 748 and 996 and I loved the dry clutches. They kinda sounded like my lwfw in the supra :) Of course they weren't slipper clutches like what came in my Aprilia which by far was a much nicer bike than my Duc's. If you really want to go dego go Aprilia, or atleast take one a test ride (they have alot more shit once derestricted).

·
Registered
42 Posts
I ride my 999 everyday, in very hilly PA. I have no probs with the dry clutch just have to realise that when you start to let it out, do it or pull it in. Best street powerband/rideability. Maitainence is no big deal, just make sure the previous owner took care of it (most do). Timeless style and will hold its value. Plus the look of astonishment on japanese literbikes faces as you walk them out of the corner.

Robb
03 Ducati 999
92 SC300 1jz

·
Registered
7 Posts
Get it if you really want one. I own a 2000 748R. I have no intentions on getting rid of it (only 12 R models were imported for the west coast during that year) and I have no intentions of buying any other bike other then a Duc. It is just a preference. My Duc requires more TLC then the average Jap bike, but it can be just as reliable. Maintenance is expensive and needs to be done more often. What do you expect from a Race bike in street clothes. I have learned to do the maintenance myself, so I enjoy the bike even more. Although it is not important to me, this 6 year old bike gets lots of attention and gets conversations going almost anywhere I take it. You definitely will get more bang for the buck with a Jap bike. After attending riding schools and logging plenty of track time with my bike, I'm a Duc owner till death do us part. Get what you want. The rest will sought itself out.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I used to have a 916 with some MER goodness. The bike was awsome. The only thing that I didn't like was the position of the pegs. Small gripe, but the bike more than made me happy. Another thing that sucked was the maintanence. You would think that adjusting things wouldn't be so damn expensive.

IF you can keep up with the maintanance and enjoy riding, et a Duc. I have rode a few April's, but just couldn't get to feeling comfortable on them.
-Tim

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've ridden and raced ducatis for over 5 years..I'll never go back to a jap bike. If you can swing an Italian bike..then do it.

dkm

·
TRNSFST
890 Posts
Hey, what's that gixxer doing in here, isn't this about ducatis? :rofl:

Toasted tires!!

Horrible picture, love that mono tail though.

This bike kicks ass. It's heavy, it's not that fast in a straight line, but I still love it. The guys on jap bikes always pull up and go nuts, I even had someone on a new zx6r pull up and ask to trade outright. Anyway, the dry clutch is pretty loud ya, but the engine just sounds so sick. She handles damn nice too.

Billy

·
TRNSFST
890 Posts
comadreha said:
Get it if you really want one. I own a 2000 748R. I have no intentions on getting rid of it (only 12 R models were imported for the west coast during that year) and I have no intentions of buying any other bike other then a Duc. It is just a preference. My Duc requires more TLC then the average Jap bike, but it can be just as reliable. Maintenance is expensive and needs to be done more often. What do you expect from a Race bike in street clothes. I have learned to do the maintenance myself, so I enjoy the bike even more. Although it is not important to me, this 6 year old bike gets lots of attention and gets conversations going almost anywhere I take it. You definitely will get more bang for the buck with a Jap bike. After attending riding schools and logging plenty of track time with my bike, I'm a Duc owner till death do us part. Get what you want. The rest will sought itself out.

Well said!

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
This debate is much like the single turbo supra vs ferrari 355/360/575 etc comparison. While we all know a single turbo supra will destroy the italian cars in a straight line, the people that buy the exotics are not concerned with how much more hp the next guys toyota has because quite honestly, if the people who spent 14-18K on their ducs really wanted a gsxr750/1000, they would have one...or two.

My first bike was a 916, I say get the bike, IMO theyre awesome machines.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts