Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Trev
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. First off, my 1j has always idled on a morning/cold start at 2000 rpms, then worked its way down to about 700 at operating temp after driving. Now for some reason it starts at 1500 then works it way down...i still can;t find what is causing this. I am curious to see what everyone is idling at.

Trev
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,588 Posts
on a cold start, it idles near 2k, like 1800-1900..then if i do drive it, depending on if im crusin or going thru stop lights, it'll settle down anywhere between 500-1,000...if i let her warm up properly it idles properly..idk why it idles weird sometimes tho..
 

·
going broke fast
Joined
·
2,401 Posts
my idle isn't consistent.when i first start it cold,it is more like 1200.when its warm its like 900 for the most part,but sometimes after driving it will idle at 1200(hot).in gear at a stop light(auto) its at like 600.i used to think it was going to stall.now,i'm not even paying any attention to it at all(i give up on it)
keith
 

·
Republican
Joined
·
8,421 Posts
mine goes up to 1400... and slowly goes down to 700-800...
 

·
Newbe....I know nothing!
Joined
·
1,853 Posts
My 1jz on startup idles at 900RPM and stays there. I wish it would idle high on cold start.

Jeremy
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
JonnyRedline said:
on a cold start, it idles near 2k, like 1800-1900..then if i do drive it, depending on if im crusin or going thru stop lights, it'll settle down anywhere between 500-1,000...if i let her warm up properly it idles properly..idk why it idles weird sometimes tho..
thats because you have your plugs gapped at .026
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,294 Posts
cold start is right around 1300rpm then once warmed up it's between 600-700. then on humid days it will sit around 550-600 at times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
mine starts around 2000 drops down to 700 in a couple of secs. but when its 700, it goes up to 900. it goes up and down between. so i adjusted my throttle to 900.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
cold start 1800ish and slowly down to 700 in a few mins. I dont have a working speed sensor in my car so i doubt it has an effect. I think the temp effects it more
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,588 Posts
NeverNZ said:
thats because you have your plugs gapped at .026

that has nothing to do with that....

its done this before i gapped the plugs down, the result of gapping them that low is a little bit of miss at idle, but no miss under boost, unlike before :)
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
JonnyRedline said:
that has nothing to do with that....

its done this before i gapped the plugs down, the result of gapping them that low is a little bit of miss at idle, but no miss under boost, unlike before :)

i was referring to your idle at 500rpm, the miss at idle causes the car to drop in rpm randomly, going between 500-1000
 

·
Resident Smartass
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
yes having the speed sensor connected affects this greatly, Don't expect a consistent idle rpm w/o having the speed sensor connected.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,588 Posts
jwcatto said:
yes having the speed sensor connected affects this greatly, Don't expect a consistent idle rpm w/o having the speed sensor connected.

hmmm...i wonder why that is....thanks for the info! :bigthumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,500 Posts
what options do I have if the tranny I am using doesn't have provisions for a speed sensor? my swap is into a very old Toyota chassis, and the trans doesn't have a speed sensor.
 

·
Resident Smartass
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
Did I miss the sarcasm or something????
or are you being serious?

directed at Johnny

Pete: Not sure what you could do except find out what voltage the speed sensor sends and mirror it from something else. Mine Idled like crap forever until I plugged up the speed sensor and now it idles at whatever I tell it to, consistently.
 

·
Making a ComeBack!
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
supraturbo1987 said:
Just curious. First off, my 1j has always idled on a morning/cold start at 2000 rpms, then worked its way down to about 700 at operating temp after driving. Now for some reason it starts at 1500 then works it way down...i still can;t find what is causing this. I am curious to see what everyone is idling at.

Trev

My 1jz does the same thing too and so does a couple of other guys I know with the 1jz.. :dunno: seemed normal to me, didn't think much about it cuss it would start to idle normal after a min..or 2..
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top