Registered
1,025 Posts
im with Co-operators , rhd , single turbo fully built . been there since 2008

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im with Co-operators , rhd , single turbo fully built . been there since 2008
I'm looking to insure a RX7 FD and they quoted me something around $7000 a year with full coverage. Can't call on a weekend So I have to wait.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I'm looking to insure a RX7 FD and they quoted me something around $7000 a year with full coverage. Can't call on a weekend So I have to wait.
Why bother with full coverage on an $8000 car ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I called Intact and they quoted me $5339/yr with liability, Theft, fire, etc. No collision.

I called like 30 insurance companies yesterday so maybe I'm mixing up the co-operators up with someone else.

Also buying the car as a shell for 2 grand

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I called Intact and they quoted me $5339/yr with liability, Theft, fire, etc. No collision.

I called like 30 insurance companies yesterday so maybe I'm mixing up the co-operators up with someone else.

Also buying the car as a shell for 2 grand
I pay $175 a month for appraised value

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a friend locally who does RHD insurance: Blake Trickey at DLK Insurance in Brockville. I can't remember who he insures through, but he owns a RHD as well as a lot of his friends. Email is [email protected] or call the office at 613-342-8663. Feel free to tell him Jason sent you his way.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Unless you have an existing policy, it will be very hard to insure. Haven't the RHD Inc. guys started a RHD insurance company for Ontario enthusiasts?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Unless you have an existing policy, it will be very hard to insure. Haven't the RHD Inc. guys started a RHD insurance company for Ontario enthusiasts?
They did start but it's not cheap.. I got a quote from them for over $3800 per year. That is with 2 tickets. So just going to wait till the tickets are off my record and try again. he said it will go down to around $3100

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dlk

Would you be able to find out what insurance company that was? Talked to Blake he said the only option is Facility 600-800 Monthly

·
Registered
232 Posts
Would you be able to find out what insurance company that was? Talked to Blake he said the only option is Facility 600-800 Monthly
I talked with him tonight. He can offer 4 companies, but Facility is the only option for younger drivers (21 and under I think he said), those who have tickets, and you need to have another vehicle insured. The RHD can't be a primary vehicle it sounds like. So, if you're 18 and it's your only car, you're SOL it sounds like. If you're 30 and have another car and a home, shouldn't be a problem.

One of the big reasons I sold my RHD 7 years ago.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know this thread slowly died off, but I'm still having trouble finding someone in Ontario to insure a RHD car in general. I'm thinking of just finding a shell from the U.S and importing it... honestly 100% easier at this point... Being 18 and wanting a RHD car is pretty taboo as of right now... Maybe i'm just not looking hard enough?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think your age and years of driving experience are hindering your ability to get a insurance at this point. Have you looked at brokers outside of the gta?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think your age and years of driving experience are hindering your ability to get a insurance at this point. Have you looked at brokers outside of the gta?
At this point not really.. been trying to stick to locally but I'm probably going to have to start to out source if i want to find anything.. I'm probably just going to wait until the summer at this point. Save some money and get a left hand drive shell then drop a GTE in.. Easier to insure and I have a Toyota dealership 15 minutes away from my house.. So it would make life 100x easier with parts & such.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,223 Posts
When I had RHD cars, I was insured with various people a diffrent times none of them over 3500 a year.

On my Aristo, I had wawaneesa and eventually Sunlife.

I also had Silverwheels on my mk4 supra.

I had RHD for about 5-6 years no issues, but I heard it was much harder because of kids going overboard and crashing in to everything... Claims on the cars were just too much money so many of them stopped insuring them.

·
Registered
232 Posts
RHD is significantly harder to insure now. I had a RHD in 2008, but sold it 2 years later when things became more difficult. If you're young and male, without a home or something else to offer the insurance company, you're probably stuck with Facility and you'll pay out the nose. 5 years ago, I paid $90 a month, but that was becoming harder to do. Hence, why I sold my car. I didn't want to be stuck with a car nobody would insure. I wouldn't be able to sell it in that case.

·
Registered
100 Posts
im still with lant or hagerty now since 2010. No complaints

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sadly I'm 18, male and I don't have any other vehicle currently. Goal is to save for the summer and then get a cheap daily for the winter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts