Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a survey so to speak to see what the demand is for the x-bar at the bottom.

i'm trying to scope out interest to see if i could get it fabricated for a group buy. in addition to the x-bar, for bars encircling the x-bar would be available for an additional cost making it look like an X inside a rectangle. the idea is to increase rigidity of a hatchback and simulate a bulkhead that is present behind the backseat of a sedan. I believe the supra twists quite a bit as a hatchback is kind of like a rectangular box in the cabin.

MelloBoy

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
I'm interested, lets see more pics, specs, and how much ?:) aight peace

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this particular design from japan is approximately 5kg shipped (so about...3-4kg i'm estimating...don't feel like doing a conversion to lbs) and is made from SUS304 stainless steel tubing that is 32mm in diameter. it bolts up to the strut tower and to a set of bolts behind the seatbelt, thus you can still carry passengers in the rear seat if you so desire.

the pro and con of this off the top of my head is as follows...it functions as a strut tower bar and more, but because of the complexity of the intersection of the 2bars, i believe it will be on the harder side to have fabricated. from a few supra friends in japan i have that have used them, it will make the gas pedal control much easier and make the supra much more responsive.

as for pricing at this point, i have no clue, but under $200 will undoubtedly be very difficult. a cusco rear strut bar costs from $120-$160 from the prices i have seen, and this setup should do far more than the cusco bar. my bar will be arriving in about a month's time (hopefully less) so i will have more detailed images and such up though someone's already interested in buying it.

I am making an educated guess at the cost being $300-$400. if it goes beyond that, i don't think a group buy would work well.

melloboy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i would haev to take a look inside an 87/88 chasis. These don't bolt to the rear seatbelt, but to a set of bolts behind them (is that the seatbelt attachement point?)

btw, is that an os giken clutch in your signature? if it is, which model (single, twin, triple) is it and what do you think about it? i just got myself a slightly used os giken single disc lol :)

melloboy

·
SF in my veins... sigh
1,586 Posts
MelloBoy said:
i would haev to take a look inside an 87/88 chasis. These don't bolt to the rear seatbelt, but to a set of bolts behind them (is that the seatbelt attachement point?)

btw, is that an os giken clutch in your signature? if it is, which model (single, twin, triple) is it and what do you think about it? i just got myself a slightly used os giken single disc lol :)

melloboy
not sure on the seatbelt thing as I have an 88... so the rear shoulder belts aren't familiar to me :)

Yep it is... it's a twin plate.... haven't driven on it yet as the project is still in final assembly... but if ya like I can let you know how it feels when I get there... one day ;) From info I've gathered though I think you'll like it... apparently takes some practice to master them but once you do the owners seem to love em.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
:stupid:

outofstep said:
fyi i got my rear strut bar for 60 bucks and i almost got a hatch bar for 140 bucks...
sooo... then $200 for a similar bracing set-up as the X-bar?

My problem is the Chassis twist when the Targa is off. There is nothing joining the front half of the car to the rear half except a relativly flat piece of Floor and stamped sheetmetal "Frame rails".

Its the biggest source of instability as far as im concerned. I need something that will some how join the front of the car w/ the rear even if the Top is off... the only viable way i can see to do that, and eliminate the majority of the chassis flex is to get a 6 pt cage or a 4 pt w/ down tubes running up to the front floor boards, near the dead pedal/kick panel

·
Mr. 2JZUL8R
6,024 Posts
since the day u showed me this Ryo u KNOW im down! :cool:

i'd sport it cause no one else would have one! AND u guys know how annoying a roll cage can get with passengers! though opf course some of u dont sport the passenger in the back mod! :rolleyes:

this unit is actually productive with the suspension as well! unlike a roll cage!

muhahhahahahaa......

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
i could see you justifying all this "chassis stiffening" in a silvia or something but c'mon people...this is a 3600+ lb touring car...it ain't no auto-x'er or drifter

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
psychot|K said:
i could see you justifying all this "chassis stiffening" in a silvia or something but c'mon people...this is a 3600+ lb touring car...it ain't no auto-x'er or drifter
i hate to admit it, but he has a point... this isnt a featherweight.

btw, that X-bar that nick posted is ICY HOTT... the only problem is that the top bars that make up the top of the rear quarter windows is weak! i can grap a hold-a them and twist them... they are spindly and dont seem to be load bearing. I noticed when i was leaning into the back of my car w/ my hands placed on both sides... they flexed and then i called my car a piece of shit... but i didnt mean it... yet

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm in if it is under 200.00 that is really my price range for somethign that is like that but....it's cool in my book

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nick photochopped that into a supra from a 180sx setup i sent him :) but that is basically what the complete set would look like.

melloboy

·
My name's Scruffy.
1,566 Posts
count me in. just give me a price and the final decision will be made...pm me with more info on this and prices

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1jz-power
i think you're the guy i bought the turbos from? lol

the x-bar should arrive on shore in late october, early november. looking at about 1-2 month development time using that one as a prototype. i'd like to get it out so people can get them during the holiday rush as an x-mas gift for themselves :)

in terms of pricing, i have no clue. if anyone has a metalworks place that they could recommend to us in SoCal somewhere, i'd appreciate it. i'd prefer that than going aroud a bunch of places w/o knowing anyting about their reputation.

melloboy

·
anti-hardtopper#1
407 Posts
Let me know when you have a final price figured out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts