Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking....who are the most knowledgeable Supra owners out there? I have been seeing a rise of owners that dont know their car from a rock in the yard. SO, who do you trust...who are the best owners we have on here?

Jason

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Mine has been apart, rebuilt, and taken apart again so many times since 2001 it isn't funny. :lol: I think I have enough spare parts laying around to build another car...

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I was thinking....who are the most knowledgeable Supra owners out there? I have been seeing a rise of owners that dont know their car from a rock in the yard. SO, who do you trust...who are the best owners we have on here?

Jason

I know exactly what you're talking about. It seems as if we just got a HUGE wave of new MKIV owners that don't have a clue. MKIV & MKIV technical sections has become one newbie fest.

Most of the knowledgeable guys I think all have moved on from here, and/or no longer post due to being tired of having to answer the same questions over and over for years.

Bad part of this is now we have many people giving advice that should not being giving advice.

·
Boost Junkie
12,636 Posts
I've done every modification that is on my car myself including single turbo conversion, gauges, fuel system, intake manifold, cams, swapped valve stem seals, timing belt, water pump, pulleys, electric fan conversion, swapped entire interiors including the dash, swapped to a built auto then a 6-speed, hood, hatch, front lip, redid my turbo brakes, then went to NA brakes, then back to turbo brakes, rear end, axles, full coil overs, piggy backs, exhaust, headlights, swaybars, wheel bearings, etc.

The only thing I am not real familiar with is rebuilding the motor, which I will never have to do because I am happy with the power the stock motor will hold, and I know pretty much nothing about standalone engine management systems and tuning them, which I also will never need to know about because piggy backs will be fine for my horsepower level.

Steve K.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've known mine since June of 1996 and like a good Marriage we're still together.. 'till death do us a part. :love: I don't think i am the most knowledgeable but I know a few things about Supras in General Thanks to www.mkiv.com and www.supraforums.com Community for sharing their experiences and frustrations

Men, I Miss the Search Feature..:gapteeth:

·
Administrator
17,262 Posts
That is pretty f--king impressive. You have my vote at this point! :bigthumb:

I've done every modification that is on my car myself including single turbo conversion, gauges, fuel system, intake manifold, cams, swapped valve stem seals, timing belt, water pump, pulleys, electric fan conversion, swapped entire interiors including the dash, swapped to a built auto then a 6-speed, hood, hatch, front lip, redid my turbo brakes, then went to NA brakes, then back to turbo brakes, rear end, axles, full coil overs, piggy backs, exhaust, headlights, swaybars, etc.

The only thing I am not real familiar with is rebuilding the motor, which I will never have to do because I am happy with the power the stock motor will hold, and I know pretty much nothing about standalone engine management systems and tuning them, which I also will never need to know about because piggy backs will be fine for my horsepower level.

Steve K.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
I watched the new owner of Jamie Carter's old 1135HP Supra take 2.5 hours to change the plugs last night.

:kekegay:

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,832 Posts
I have touched almost 20 of these cars... Everything other than the cage and assembing blocks were done by myself, with a helping hand here and there. Swapping stock twins, to building 1600hp supras.. I think it would be safe to say, there isnt a bolt i havent turned on the supra.

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
Lagtime (Chip Schartz)
Stu Hagen
T66 Dawg (Guilly Polo)
RSA Supra (Ryan Hawkins; auto tranny expert)
TT_6SPD 95 (Tony Brock)
Anthracite (Tommy Banh)
Sidwin (Sid Nguyen; not on much any more)
Boost Junkie
Evill Supra (Steve K.)

Ken.

·
Registered
593 Posts
^
There is still a handful of members as Ken has mentioned.

add a few more to the list...

Kean Wang.
Ken Henderson.
BLKMGK.

·
Administrator
17,262 Posts
If you want to talk about stock twins knowledge...there is only one name at the top of the game, and that is Stu Hagen. Having him as a local resource is truly priceless.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Me being one of the newbies on here that doesn't no shit about these engines are glad the older more knowledgeable members are on here. Other wise I wouldn't come back. I might be 41 but am willing to learn. This site and the people in it have given me a lot of good advise. Keep up the good work.

·
Saved
643 Posts
Nick 95 6sp
gixxer_drew
turbo mx-5
TWINS TURBO Motorsports
AlexRSPTT

Almost all of the regulars in the road race section are extremely knowledgeable about Supra's and the overall physics of the automobile. I very much look up to them all and most of them are OG members. Classy guys who are patient with questions and chock full of information.

Josh

·
60 footing
966 Posts
chris johnson aka PM supra

·
4,109 Posts
Lagtime (Chip Schartz)
Stu Hagen
T66 Dawg (Guilly Polo)
RSA Supra (Ryan Hawkins; auto tranny expert)
TT_6SPD 95 (Tony Brock)
Anthracite (Tommy Banh)
Sidwin (Sid Nguyen; not on much any more)
Boost Junkie
Evill Supra (Steve K.)

Ken.
Phil Panas (pwpanas) Original 94 Supra owner. I swear he can quote the entire Supra manual from memory. There might be something he doesn't know about Supras, but I have yet to figure out what

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Some of the folks that I listen to (in addition to some of the names above):
- Ishii. I've never met a Supra owner that knows more than him. He's so OG most folks don't even know him. :)
- Choritsu-shi.
- Carchitect.
- turbomx5.
- gixxer_drew.
- Brian McGaha.
- Lagtime.
- Ken Henderson.
- Mani. (is he even here any more?)
- Eric Kozuleh (twinsturbo) (some pretty interesting ideas)
- Eric Typpo
- Steve Jarvis

Most of the road racers know their cars better in all aspects than 99% of the folks on Supraforums.

I've installed coilovers or other suspension components on 7 cars with the A80 chassis. Fuel system wiring for a single turbo conversion. Timing belt. Clutch/flywheel. Racelogic install and debug, etc. I do all of my own work.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts