Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what company makes the rear hatch glass since its discontinued from Toyota?

Thanks

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,527 Posts
^ for real?

·
Super Moderator
10,115 Posts
When I was looking for rear panel glass the guy told me they can cut there own glass if needed I was shocked
I went down a deep rabbit hole with Safelite trying to get rear hatch glass, and they cannot duplicate the curvature of the MKIV glass.

If you need an off the shelf replacement anytime soon, the best bet is a Lexan rear window from Titan or similar.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
NEVER USE SAFELITE, Trust me i have a body shop!!!
Fuyao and Pilkington are the largest company in the world that manufactures for almost every vehicle !

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
i've had pilkington glass in a couple of my cars. great quaility. how do i find out who uses their glass in my area? need a new windshield for my mkiv.
the other cars were insurance claims so i guess i got lucky with the brand.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'd simply ask. I did that when I needed a new windshield on a couple cars. Called around until I found a shop using a windshield that was recommended. Pilkington was what I had been told, along with PPG, which is now something else like Pittsburgh Glass, I think?

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,527 Posts
i've had pilkington glass in a couple of my cars. great quaility. how do i find out who uses their glass in my area? need a new windshield for my mkiv.
the other cars were insurance claims so i guess i got lucky with the brand.
Check the DOT number on the windshield. Then look up the DOT number online to find out which company really made the glass, and where.

Reactions: 2jzgte77

·
Registered
5 Posts
correct, PPG makes both OEM and Refinish automotive paints.....they sold the automotive glass business to LKQ Corp in 2016. PPG still makes glass for aircraft.

·
Registered
367 Posts
PPG is a paint manufacturer
I'm aware of that. They also made automotive windshields/glass since the 1920s, and were founded as a glass manufacturer. Their paint business came later. They slowly got out of it over the last decade and looks like their last presence in the market was under the name Pittsburgh Glass Works (PGW). Looks like PPG sold them to another company in 2016. Believe my post mentioned their glass might a different company now. I've got a PPG branded windshield on the MR2 sitting in my garage right now.

Reactions: 2jzgte77
1 - 15 of 15 Posts