Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just looking for a count of people looking to do a fuel upgrade from stock or people who are just changing up there current setup .

if this is you what are your plans?

as for me i currenty run 2 fuel feed lines to the front (one -6 line for the new pump in the tank, and the stock line for the current pump in the tank of the car).

Im thinking about just using one Y adaptor to the outlets of the two pumps with in the tank and then run a single
-8 line forward.
The line will then get split again after the fuel filter into another Y adaptor and then into separate -6 lines and run to each end of the fuel rail.

will i gain anything from doing this mabe not but it might help in equalizing the fuel pressure that each end of the rail will see's.

what do you guys think ?

B

·
0 Posts
There's not much point in doing that, I'd say there probly wouldnt benifit from it at all. It'll just cost you a bunch of money, those Y blocks aint cheap and neither is -8. I dont think there's even much point in having dual feeds into the rail, but thats just me. You're probly fine how you are:)

R

·
0 Posts
The advantage is in plain fluid dynamics.. Your also not having the pumps work harder trying to overcompensate flowing against echother. It's a more efficient setup doing it single and Y. But each to his own ;)

·
Registered
457 Posts
I hope to put in a fuel system this winter or early spring using this type of setup. Anyone want to hook me up with a system?

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
Brad Mayo said:
There's not much point in doing that, I'd say there probly wouldnt benifit from it at all. It'll just cost you a bunch of money, those Y blocks aint cheap and neither is -8. I dont think there's even much point in having dual feeds into the rail, but thats just me. You're probly fine how you are:)
:wtf:

While I can't speak for supras in specific, I have had a miata 4 injector rail on a flow bench with 720 injectors and there is a definate advantage of having dual feeds. With injectors that size you get fuel cavitating without multiple feeds into the rail. We tried multiple diameters of rails and couldn't get the cavitation to go away. I would assume that the supra would be even worse as it has more injectors and a longer rail.

Matt

B

·
0 Posts
Wow, very good to know:D Looks like I'll stick with the dual. Did you ever try anything with different radius's on the holes in the rail or anything? I wonder if that'd help at all. I imagine if you experienced it with single feed then its there in some form or another even with 2. Finding some way to fix it would be great! How much variance did you see from one injector to the other? Which ones were the worst, farthest from the feed?

R

·
0 Posts
Size nothing to do if your fueling the rail with enough fuel and have the right size lines. a -8 will do 1500 hp, I've seen it done. Split it at the rail to twin -6s and it's just plain fluid dynamics that you'll see more even flow and the oscilliation will go down due to the fact you don't have two pumps fighting echother.

·
Registered
827 Posts
The single -8 line with the Y at both ends is exactly like the fuel kit. I just ordered .

·
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brad i understand your point about the -8 and there are many guys running high hp numbers with my currect set-up ,but like stated by rocked im thinking about the fluid dynamics inside the rail im sure there are just as many guys running the set-up im thinking about as well with high hp motors.

the idea of 2 pumps figting each other at each end of the rail kinda gets me thinking hard about whats going on inside the rail

with the setup im thinking about now i personaly think it will help distribute equal pressure through out the rail.

·
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brad Mayo said:
Wow, very good to know:D Looks like I'll stick with the dual. Did you ever try anything with different radius's on the holes in the rail or anything? I wonder if that'd help at all. I imagine if you experienced it with single feed then its there in some form or another even with 2. Finding some way to fix it would be great! How much variance did you see from one injector to the other? Which ones were the worst, farthest from the feed?
from what i have been told the best way to feed the line from the rail would be to have it comming in from one side of the rail and then put another opening near the #4 injector but again this is just an unproven theory's .

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
the diameter of the rail did matter in our tests, but there was a point of deminishing returns. What we discovered was the best setup was to have preassurized feeds at both ends of the rail with the return in the middle of the rail.

·
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
turbomx5 said:
the diameter of the rail did matter in our tests, but there was a point of deminishing returns. What we discovered was the best setup was to have preassurized feeds at both ends of the rail with the return in the middle of the rail.
what test? and by "preassurized feeds at both ends" do you mean fuel comming in at both ends from there own fuel pump or from just dual lines?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ranger,
Sounds like the setup you are considering the Induction Motorsports setup? Seem to recall that their setup is similar to the one you are asking about....

Glad you posted this as I am currently gathering parts for my fuel system and am interested in the feedback.

Thanks,
Kelly

·
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: who plans on doing a fuel system upgrade?

KGB Supra said:
Ranger,
Sounds like the setup you are considering the Induction Motorsports setup? Seem to recall that their setup is similar to the one you are asking about....

Glad you posted this as I am currently gathering parts for my fuel system and am interested in the feedback.

Thanks,
Kelly
close to it. mabe a group buy can be started sometime soon, but i would have to ask if your interested pm or email me and ill see what i can do.

·
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mr TT said:
Two -6s will flow more then a single -8.

Pete
with out a dought .
but two fuel lines with a pump at each end pushing into each end of one rail will work harder trying to overcompensate the flow of each line comaperd to a a -8 split into two -6 lines im thinking.

·
Kwan Jul Sul Freak
928 Posts
Just a thought regarding the "two pumps fighting each other"...

Aren't fuel pumps designed to constantly fight against fluid resistance. Furthermore, a fuel pump with no resistance will burn up/fail in a relatively short period of time if I remember correctly.

So, whether you run the dual Y setup, or twin -6's and a single return, the fighting just "occurs" in a different spot. The dual Y setup would provide a failover in case one pump fails; thus avoiding the cavatation that may occur if twin -6's are ran with a middle/single return line.

Sort of along the same lines... I have seen drag cars (not Supras) with 3 fuel pumps all with less than 2 feet of line going to a huge distribution block and a single -10 running to a BG regulator feeding an injection system on top of a supercharger, living ontop of a 502ci Merlin bigblock. Talk about a fight. (my cousin's 67 Camaro)

·
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Goldfinger911 said:
Just a thought regarding the "two pumps fighting each other"...

Aren't fuel pumps designed to constantly fight against fluid resistance. Furthermore, a fuel pump with no resistance will burn up/fail in a relatively short period of time if I remember correctly.

So, whether you run the dual Y setup, or twin -6's and a single return, the fighting just "occurs" in a different spot. The dual Y setup would provide a failover in case one pump fails; thus avoiding the cavatation that may occur if twin -6's are ran with a middle/single return line.

Sort of along the same lines... I have seen drag cars (not Supras) with 3 fuel pumps all with less than 2 feet of line going to a huge distribution block and a single -10 running to a BG regulator feeding an injection system on top of a supercharger, living ontop of a 502ci Merlin bigblock. Talk about a fight. (my cousin's 67 Camaro)
good point i was thinking the same idea as well lastnight whne i was putting some info down on paper(the thing old people use still)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts