Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told Exvelocity is the Go To guy for headlight refinishing. I Pm'ed him and emailed and no replies. Does anyone know if he takes a while to respond or if he doesn't have any interest anymore.

If there is another option (other than doing it myself) please let me know.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,498 Posts
Dick,

Try MKIII Hater. He's very good and has a number of threads on this topic, I believe.

Ken.

·
Boost Junkie
12,615 Posts
Best thing is to either call or Facebook message Stefan.

Steve

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
I'll vote for MKIIIHATER as well. Very helpful and knowledgeable. I'm sure Stefan does good work as well...can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thanks for this thread.

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
What exactly does that include? As you know, a new set can be had for less...
Yes a new set is $900 with the discount + $25 shipping. The issue is that the OEM lights suck at not flaking around the tops of the reflector bowls, I've seen it happen in less than a year on brand new lights. Also a big issue is the condition of the headlights to begin with. When the lights are completely compromised, flaking/sun damage/condensation issues/water etching into the bezels and the lenses, micro cracks, ect... you are looking at pure labor.

Look at it this way:

-uninstalling the lights, baking and separating the lenses - 1.5 hours
-Disassemble the bezels - strip, sand, paint professionally (no rattle cans) clear, tape off, re chrome rings or paint a bright silver - 5 hours +
-Wet Sand micro fractures/scratches/discoloration out of lenses + optional clear coat and polish lenses - 3-5 hours depending on condition +
-Reassemble lights, reseal with new butyl tape, scrape out old sealant, bake and finish making sure they are completely air tight or they will condensate - 3-4 hours++

This does not account for consumables (paint/sand paper/polish/driving to paint shop/ect)
In the end you get something with better longevity than the oem lights that will fail in time.

Some people are good with average to mediocre results and can find solace in a rattle can of paint and stumbling their way through a process other people have down to a science and have repeatable, quality results.

So yes that is how refinishing lights can cost $1000, I retrofitted my lights with quad hid projectors, custom brackets, all the ballasts and relays, and I did not even touch my bezels and just lightly polished my lenses. I did all the work myself and bought good products at good prices and spent $800 easily.

Its all what its worth to you in the end! Mark my words everyones 97-98 headlight bezels will flake if they already haven't, if they haven't flaked your car hasn't seen sunlight.

Matt

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
$1000 to refinish a set of headlights? I think I can find time to do a set, lol. That's what I used to charge to deline a set of 97-98 headlights.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
$1000 to refinish a set of headlights? I think I can find time to do a set, lol. That's what I used to charge to deline a set of 97-98 headlights.
Yep, was just gonna buy another set but figured I would attempt them myself first. They are at a body shop now being sprayed. Hopefully they turn out alright.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts