Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i visited Vinny Ten at Performance Factory to see about a Apex-i N1 Exhaust for my friend's 97 NA Auto. I asked Vinny what a NA owner could do instead of a NA-T, nitrous, or a 2JZ-GTE swap. Vinny said he's been meaning to get to a 2JZ-GE buildup because he thinks there's a strong interest in the IS300 community as well as NA Supra owners. He told me if I could leave the car for a month at the shop, they would begin work on a custom fabricated equal-length header system, some hi-compression pistons, higher lift and duration cams, and experimenting with various aftermarket intake and exhaust setups. He guesses the the 2JZ-GE would gain about 30-40 HP with these upgrades and is on the lookout for a owner to allow his car to be the guinea pig. Parts won't be free of course, because everything needs to be fabricated, but labor charges will be almost non-existent and you have the distinction of being the first built NA Supra to come out of the shop that holds the titles of World's Fastest and Quickest Supra Turbo. That's right the privately run Performance Factory Supra was the first Supra in the 12's, 11's, 10's, 9's, 8's and in the coming 2002 season will probably be the first to crack the 7-second barrier in a Supra. The PF Supra also successively smashed the 140, 150, 160 and 170 MPH barrier in the 1320. Vinny's daily driver is a 750RWHP 95 Turbo with a custom B&M 4-speed AOD automatic designed for a Ford. The race car also uses a custom Ford 9-inch rear axle (the most widely used axle in the NHRA) along with a custom suspension setup that no one including that fool Craig Paisley can come close to.

So any NA owner who is looking to go another route, stop by the Performance Factory and give Vinny a shout. He's always willing to talk shop and the thing that impresses me most about their operation is that it is strictly no bullshit. Even a lot of Supra owners are misinformed and Vinny and his team alwyas take the time to make sure you know what you want in your buildup. He won't just take your money and promise you a lot of things. One of the things he always says to me is that he never promises a certain 0-60, a ceratin E.T. in the 1320 etc because that is all dependent on the driver, weather and track condidtions etc etc. What he will guarantee is the work him and his team of pros do and the power numbers he says the car will produce.

Hope this gives some help to the NA guys, I know you hate looking over your shoulders at the TT guys so hopefully this can start you one your quest to extract more power out of your 2JZ-GE's.

www.performancefactory.com
I am not an employee and have no vested interest in any sort of business conducted at the shop. I am merely providing information to the members of Supraforums so they can make their own decisions.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hold up a sec... let me wipe my drool

that's some good news for us NAs... thanks for looking out!

·
Senior
1,475 Posts
Its about ^#%[email protected]* time! Powerhouse did a 13:1 I'm told, but that certainly wasn't streetable. 30-40 hp? How much is the question. High comp pistons would have to be made although they could be based on some previous iteraion save for crown shape etc. Head work? Power curve? Development is the big time money investment here.
Hopefully with more squeeze, some porting (extrude hone anyone?), an M3 like 270-300(crank) can be attained. Any body wanna run a 3.5 Z, Altima,Maxima or stock TT?:p

·
Registered
679 Posts
too much work involved and probably will cost a shit load....
I would just go with basic bolt on that could put you in the 30-40 hp range.......exhaust,intake,cams,pulleys,afc..............

·
Senior
1,475 Posts
I assume thie would be for an older unit, 150k mi or more which needs freshing anyway. This car would still be ahead of the one with the bolt ons easily as it would already have intake exhaust if you're going this route. IMO, pulleys are a waste for a street car- 2-3 hp & questionable balance issues for the long term. I think this should be compared to a fresh engine swap from the dealer.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I didn't include any pricing..Vinny says an initial investment of approximately $3500 should be well enough to get started. I think this number is within reason because there will be a lot of manual labor done where Vinny will port and polish the heads, regrind cams, measure out an fabricate a header etc etc. Like I said before Vinny doesn't bullshit and I was actually surprised he quoted a hard price because there is so much work involved and possible pitfalls. The bottom line is that this is a business, Vinny really wants to have a 2JZ-GE package out real soon so if some willing NA owner would serve as the prototype car in return you will receive a very well-thought out car that will probably produce better power than most NA owners have. Keep in mind that NA tuning is very much a black art, it's harder than slapping on a larger downpipe and exhaust system. So while you guys should keep your fingers crossed, don't expect miracles. Vinny Ten is not god but 30-40 HP is a BIG difference don't you agree.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vreaux728645 said:
I assume thie would be for an older unit, 150k mi or more which needs freshing anyway. This car would still be ahead of the one with the bolt ons easily as it would already have intake exhaust if you're going this route. IMO, pulleys are a waste for a street car- 2-3 hp & questionable balance issues for the long term. I think this should be compared to a fresh engine swap from the dealer.
Actually as I said before this project is mainly focusing on the IS300 application of the 2JZ-GE so the work done will be concentrated on extracting power out of a relatively new engine instead of trying to recover lost HP from a tired motor.

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
??

Do you mean 40-50 hp to the wheels compared to a bascially stock na with cam gears, exhuast , intake? or to a bone stock na?

I live on Long Island and have 93,5 mkiv hardtop Supra AndI might be interested. I live not far from his shop. What exactly entails what will be done to the car? Give me all the details Please

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
my car only has 67k oringial motor and itsa far form a tired motor :)

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Xdreamer said:
my car only has 67k oringial motor and itsa far form a tired motor :)
like i said before my engine is a GE pushing 910hp to the wheels. here some pics of what the na kit looks like.

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
How much does the intakemanfiold run? And does it bolton to the stock ge head? I like And am interested. I am still debating putting gte heads . And am somewhat interested in getting my na built. Just would like mopre info. It might be more pratical to do a single but I am still thinking about having the first built all motor 2JZ-GE but anyways Email me or post message back. I was going to stop by the shop a few time but I just did all the work i needed to do in my garage alot cheaper plus saved me a 40min drive

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
? Can you give me more info oin that intake manifold and more info a on getting my 2jz built by them? Thanks Brett

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
From the pics I saw, they welded the wastegate flange to the turbine housing. Interesting way to do it, but works fine I'm sure.

TRDSupraSE said:
Is that the pic for the 2JZ-GE turbo manifold? Where does the wastegate go? How much does that manifold go for?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts