Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question that i've been wondering guys....I've loved the MKIV TT ever since its release in 1993 at which time i was around 12 yrs old but obviously didnt know that the 2JZGTE engine could handle 900+ hp on the stock internals. Who were the first, should i say, "people" or person, who put the engine to the test and explored uncharted territories to give us what we know today? :coold:

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Yup, it was Blach, with 958 rwhp :)
Peter

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
houstonT said:
Peter
Peter can you explain, did you have any prior knowledge or was is make it or bake it?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think it was the gradual increase. BPU to BPU +++ to singles. If you look back at some of the older pages and posts from like the original tx2k you'll see the supra world changed gradually. The other day I found Neros page with the Titan supra when it was BPU ++ and its funny to see its evolution to the car it has become.

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
flexysteve8 said:
I think it was the gradual increase. BPU to BPU +++ to singles. If you look back at some of the older pages and posts from like the original tx2k you'll see the supra world changed gradually. The other day I found Neros page with the Titan supra when it was BPU ++ and its funny to see its evolution to the car it has become.

:werd: people were seeming slow at 700-800rwhp this year at texas. seems like you gotta break 1200's to run with the big dogs anymore

:faint:

·
Stock Body Supras FTW
1,226 Posts
houstonT said:
Peter
What year was this discovered?

·
en hopup veritas
165 Posts
One of my My father's (a soon to be retired Toyota product engineer) favorite stories of working at Toyota is when he went to Japan in December of 1992 as part of new model training. It was there at a tour of the Motomachi plant (where the Supra and Soarer were made) that one of the drivetrain engineers stated in his best English that the 2JZ was/is "our 1000hp engine". When asked if this was its potential, he stated "no, already tested". Just a interesting didbit to share.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I know he didnt do much dynoing but your forgetting about Vinny Ten at Performance Factory NYC...he was going 140 mph in the 1/4 in 1997 on stock blocks..thats pretty stout, im not shure what the car weighed but i think it was around 3300-3400 lbs...thats 850-900 hp to the track............wow, come to think of it that was a long time ago, im getting old...

·
SupraForums Manufacturer/Tuner
1,002 Posts
Damn, everyone forgot about old me... LOL. Im the source for "old-school" Supra news so I'll chime in here.

Vinny was running 140 MPH back in 1997, but never dyno'd the car (to my knowledge) so no one knows what actual HP he was making back then. The car was just a shell though, no interior at all, so probably sub-3000 pounds or so. It was a "theft recovery" car.

In 1998, Humberto was kicking ass, ours included. He was running 133-135 MPH consistently back then through the auto box. Really consistent car, and very fast every time.

By late 1998 and 1999 we had our new engine in the red Supra, and were running 10.1 to 9.9's at 140+ pretty consistently. Best was at the nationals in August 1999, the first sub-10 second pass for a unibody Supra (9.98 at 144.7 MPH). The red car was doing 887 WHP through the Toyota automatic in early 1999, and we all know what kind of HP that sucks up to the wheels.

Bryce Dana never cracked the 900 WHP mark officially, using a HKS T51R SPL with 120 HP NOS kit on his last car before he vanished. He was in the high 800 WHP range for a long time though. Thats a name I havent heard in quite some time.

Mark Tozer did have the first recorded 900+ WHP run on a stock block. Even though it took out the rod bearings to do so.

Peter was still in high school during all this.. :)

Dusty was still in high school and was looking for his first Supra, a white Supra with red racing stripe down the center and bull horns on the hood (no joke)... :)

Nero was bugging me to come visit again so I could take him for a ride in my Supra... while still living with mom and dad in college... :)

Mark Tozer was merely a shit-talking customer of ours, funny though. :)

Obiwan was just out of high school and working on old muscle cars... :)

Horsepower Freaks didnt even exist yet.. :)

Larry at SP was still installing stereos and taking orders from Tim Maxwell... :) J/K

Ben not Obiwan (warloc) was my shit talking right-hand man and helluva driver after I retired... :)

"APU" for a Supra TT was considered a cat-back exhaust and VPC.

Supraforums was not to be for another 3 years...

Nick Potkay was the god of MKIV.com...

"Sale Pricing" meant 5% off MSRP for Supra parts.....

And PHR was the king of the world LOL!!!

How I miss those days... LOL!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts