Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about this. The Solstice or Sky, I was thinking about this... The GXP and Redline already have any awesome motor, and once they come out with some good aftermarket parts for it, the motor will be another SR20DET only better. (in my opinion) But, nothign beats the good ole 2JZ.

Now outside of the 2JZ totally wrecking the near 50/50 balance of the car, it would be AWESOME. I wonder if those guys will consider a Swap into a solstice?

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wha?
I do not believe the Solstice shares any parts with any toyota. I could be wrong though, any idea where you read that? It is a 5-speed which in theory would go with the 7M and 1J
Im pretty sure they use an Aisin AR5 (MA5) in the Solstices and Skys

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
The solstice does in fact share a SUPPLIER with toyota. Toyota has used many Aisin parts/transmissions over the years, and the Solstice just happens to use an R series Aisin transmission that is very similar to the one used in Mk3 Supras and many Toyota pickups. If search were working you could read up on a guy who took a tranny out of a solstice and put it in his mk3. He had to use a mix of parts as far as the pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, disc, modified tranny x-member, but the large majority of the transmission was the same.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Yeah the LSx motors are a more likely swap than the 2JZ. Some company already did one awhile ago and I believe Hinson motorsports is working on a kit for them right now.

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are plenty of LSx motors out there, and Mallet being one of them is great! But, a 2JZ would really be more of my cup of tea.

I think the dimensions of the motor should probably fit eh?

·
Registered
13,581 Posts

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
Hot Rod magazine did a project car with an LS7 Solstice last year sometime, it was detailed in the magazine, I think they're still massaging on it. Here's info from their website http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/hdrp_pontiac_solstice_ls7_project_build/

2JZ is a very cool motor but I don't "feel" it in the Solstice.
That Hot Rod build is freakin insane! I love all of the work they've done. I read it a month or two ago, but I still get excited every time I see it.

·
Banned
2,655 Posts

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Not only does Toyota use Aisin, they own a portion of them as well (I believe ~20%).

A Solstice with a 2JZ would be AWESOME, but I'm not sure it would fit, the engine bay doesn't seem long enough.

The solstice does in fact share a SUPPLIER with toyota. Toyota has used many Aisin parts/transmissions over the years, and the Solstice just happens to use an R series Aisin transmission that is very similar to the one used in Mk3 Supras and many Toyota pickups. If search were working you could read up on a guy who took a tranny out of a solstice and put it in his mk3. He had to use a mix of parts as far as the pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, disc, modified tranny x-member, but the large majority of the transmission was the same.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Just to get a little off topic...
Dodge is using a Aisin 6 speed auto with the new 6.7L Cummins in their pickups. So far people are saying it should be better and stronger than the Allison in the Chebby's. It's about time they put a decent auto trans behind a Cummins.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I think the best swap for this car would be an LSx motor. They get [email protected] with an LS2 Swap, so how does this compare to a C5 Z06? How much does a solstice weigh? Are there any drivability issues with the car not being able to hook?

I like the looks of the solstice, especially with the grill painted black and the black wheels.

·
Administrator
17,255 Posts
I don't think the 2JZ-GTE would be an easy fit on a Solstice/Sky, whereas the LSx V8's are considerably shorter. You'll recall that the S2000 has a very long nose whereas the Solstice/Sky would probably require heavy firewall modifications to house a 2JZ-GTE. Just a guess though! :)

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Once the swap is done the weight difference between a C6 and Solstice is minimal (less than 100 pounds) so the only reason to do the swap as opposed to just getting a C6 is if you like the looks of the Solstice better or to be unique (you may also be able to save a few bucks).

I personally would rather have the C6.

I think the best swap for this car would be an LSx motor. They get [email protected] with an LS2 Swap, so how does this compare to a C5 Z06? How much does a solstice weigh? Are there any drivability issues with the car not being able to hook?

I like the looks of the solstice, especially with the grill painted black and the black wheels.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts