Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Unlimited Time Attack A70
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious just to see which members here are dusting their cars off and doing some sanctioned racing this season. I know the tracks are starting to open up and the suns coming out, anyone else excited?

In my neck of the wood there is only a few tracks in my area, The Ridge Motorsports Park being the closest and best setup for lapping and endurance.

My car should be ready late in the season so hopefully I'll be able to get some seat time before the year is over.

I'd love to see what everyone else has going and what tracks you're trying to hit this year. What class are people running in what type of racing. My vehicle is setup for Unlimited Time Attack and Limited Circuit racing

Should be a killer season!

Nick

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,233 Posts
I've already been to one track weekend, last month. And my next one is at the end of April. Both at Viginia International Raceway (VIR). I take the (hot) Summer off, and will do two more weekends in the Fall.

Class: Instructor
Type: HPDE mainly, and open track events

·
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice! I'd love to get some seat time in at VIR, great track! We dont have any tracks that large around here

Do you have a dedicated track car that you run or do you play with a street car?

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,233 Posts
Very nice! I'd love to get some seat time in at VIR, great track! We dont have any tracks that large around here
It's very nice, and I'm spoiled to have it basically in my back yard. Technical, fun, elevation changes, and lots of safe grassy runoff area where it counts.

Do you have a dedicated track car that you run or do you play with a street car?
The TT in my signature is my track car. It's also a street car, but not my daily.

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Come up to Jersey - I plan on quite a few HPDEs this year between Pocono and NJMP. Would be great to see some of you there

·
Registered
957 Posts
Always seems like all the tracks are on the east side of the country. I hope to make a trip down the west coast and hit Willow Springs and Leguna Seca
Such is life, unfortunately. High Plains Raceway is the one track I may get to this summer, depending on my coach's schedule. I get the feeling old man Skip would really teach me a thing or ten on that track... The other track relatively nearby is Utah Motorsports Campus, used to be MMR. I now have a third week of vacation to burn, and they do an open track day on Wednesdays, so I may take a day or two this summer to check that one out.

Locally, it seems like we may be having three autocross events, which I am rather excited for. Could probably use new tires, but if I'm not gonna be in any sort of competitive range, I'll just screw around and have some fun, give as many ride alongs in the Supra as possible. Like you said in your build thread, seat time is king. :)

·
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a few tracks in Oregon as well, and I'm sure theres quite a few that I just havent heard of in the surrounding states and stuff. Gotta track those down and see what their scheduling looks like for the different events.
Once the car is dialed in I have to go through and get a competition license and certs so I can do some real racing. I am also rather excited for the open events as well and mess around with the car. I used to do a bunch of Autox with a Viper club, large fast course for autox, what a blast that was.

·
boost'en down 101
1,229 Posts
I'm gonna do a handful of track days at Sonoma because I have a friend in napa that I can visit and crash at they're place. I really want to do one at thunderhill when they have the 5 mile course going but its not too often. Laguna seca is great to but pretty dam far.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Found out that High Plains hosts the [email protected] race in the summer. Entry price is something like $1200, but you can race for 24 hours... That may be something I'd like to do someday, if I could sort out the logistics and ensure that the car is 100% solid.

·
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found out that High Plains hosts the [email protected] race in the summer. Entry price is something like $1200, but you can race for 24 hours... That may be something I'd like to do someday, if I could sort out the logistics and ensure that the car is 100% solid.
That would be awesome if you had some data logging software setup on your car. 24hr you could really dial in some suspension and maps .

I think it would be cool if the community could come together and get a track list with events and such setup on this page. Set everything up so it'd be real easy to select the tracks in your region and have them all organized by month and event.

Maybe I'll have to start putting that together. ahha

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Just went to High Plains this past weekend for their winter lapping days. Really enjoyed the low key environment and attitude. Track is fun with some technical spots. Elevation is well used.

·
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for sharing, sounds like a great experience. Have a track that's low key is great, you get to focus on your car and improving, not to mention lots of fun. Way better than having to worry about doing everything correct or if your in the right place or wrong place. Nice to be able to just drive.

What car are you running?

·
Registered
957 Posts
That would be awesome if you had some data logging software setup on your car. 24hr you could really dial in some suspension and maps .

I think it would be cool if the community could come together and get a track list with events and such setup on this page. Set everything up so it'd be real easy to select the tracks in your region and have them all organized by month and event.

Maybe I'll have to start putting that together. ahha
Running an MS3-Pro on my car, it has a decent amount of logging memory. Depending on what all inputs you had feeding into it, I'm not certain it would be enough memory for a 24 hour event though. I've always been more of one to drive a car and adapt myself to its limitations, rather than chase that "perfect" setup. Basically, unless I find something wrong, I rarely tinker with the suspension. Although... I have read up a bit on using dampening to affect weight transfer. I'm definitely an amateur in this regard, but I always thought that the dampening setting on coilovers (well, most anyway) was to set compression. Seems I might have had it backwards...

Also, I'll help you out in organizing the event data:

Location: Rock Springs, WY - Western Wyoming Community College
Event type: Autocross
Dates: June 30, July 1, July 28, July 29, August 11
Entry fee: $40 per day or $60 per weekend
Notes: I'll be there with at least one, likely two of our cars. Will have access to tools, air compressor, water, and shade. Come on out and introduce yourself, should draw a crowd from the surrounding states. I know folks from Utah, Idaho, and Colorado came up to last year's inaugural event. August 11th date also has a car show, dyno event is in the plans, details haven't been confirmed or announced as of this posting.

Just went to High Plains this past weekend for their winter lapping days. Really enjoyed the low key environment and attitude. Track is fun with some technical spots. Elevation is well used.
Good to hear, it does seem like a pretty relaxed environment overall. Will have to get with Skip and see if and when would be a good time for him to make a trip down there.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Once my motor is back together i'm hoping to make the the first race at home, then i'll do Rose Cup at Portland. I blew the motor last year so i'm hoping for a better season. Have you been to The Ridge? Awesome track.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I just signed up for Thunderhill in Willows, CA on April 28-29th weekend. I have been to Laguna Seca about two times in the past and man, going to the track is addicting for sure.

·
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Once my motor is back together i'm hoping to make the the first race at home, then i'll do Rose Cup at Portland. I blew the motor last year so i'm hoping for a better season. Have you been to The Ridge? Awesome track.
Man that blew :rofl: glad you're getting it back up and going! I have not driven the Ridge yet, cars not completely finished at this point. I have done alot of AutoX at the air field right next to it though. Excited to test it out. What's your setup look like?
I just signed up for Thunderhill in Willows, CA on April 28-29th weekend. I have been to Laguna Seca about two times in the past and man, going to the track is addicting for sure.
Thunder hill looks like so much fun! Racing is definitely my DOC hahha. What kinda setup are you running?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Man that blew :rofl: glad you're getting it back up and going! I have not driven the Ridge yet, cars not completely finished at this point. I have done alot of AutoX at the air field right next to it though. Excited to test it out. What's your setup look like?

Thunder hill looks like so much fun! Racing is definitely my DOC hahha. What kinda setup are you running?
Basic stuff. My car is setup for street with occasional track use. Fortune coils, sway bars, strut bar, just replaced a bunch of suspension bushings so I’m excited to test it out on the track. Thunderhill has west or east side or the whole 5 mile run. The day I signed up for is the west 2 mile run.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts