Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Unlimited Time Attack A70
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Basic stuff. My car is setup for street with occasional track use. Fortune coils, sway bars, strut bar, just replaced a bunch of suspension bushings so I’m excited to test it out on the track. Thunderhill has west or east side or the whole 5 mile run. The day I signed up for is the west 2 mile run.
Nice, which Fortunes are you running? I've got some Pro 2 ways going on mine.

The west side looks like a fun course to run, good luck man!

·
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have the 500 series on mine. Pro 2 way has an application for Supra’s?
Not directly, but they will make a set for your application

·
Registered
680 Posts
Is everyone running stock hood on the track? I’m thinking of ways of how to make my engine less hot during my time on the track

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,233 Posts
^ Stock hood here, but I open it to let heat escape after a track session.

Is your water temperature normal during a session, or does it get hot?

·
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Is everyone running stock hood on the track? I’m thinking of ways of how to make my engine less hot during my time on the track
I'd run a well vented hood if I were you. Depending on how you have the vents setup the high pressure will greatly pull low pressure out from under the hood, helping with aerodynamics as well as cooling.

·
Registered
680 Posts
^ Stock hood here, but I open it to let heat escape after a track session.

Is your water temperature normal during a session, or does it get hot?
Yeah that’s what I do too. I have no measurements currently but I just recently purchased the bti gauge so that I have a better sense of my engine vitals.

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
I have the stock hood and from BPU days thru my twin setup my engine coolant has never climbed to being too hot but oil temps are the main culprit to worry about.

MY FMIC mounting and aluminum panel under the engine area allows the wide central opening on my Seibon front lip to channel some air under the intercooler so more goes to the radiator and underhood area. Sorry I have no comparative temp numbers.

·
boost'en down 101
1,229 Posts
i removed the weather strip that sits on top of the firewall sealing the back of the hood. you can visually see heat pouring out compared to with it in place. get the same effect as people who shim their hood up but don't have to have it look retarded lol

·
Registered
957 Posts
Stock hood here, haven't had the opportunity to get it on a proper track yet to test the effectiveness of the cooling system. On hot days and 30-50 second autocross courses my temps tend to climb a bit, but nothing over 200, so it might be alright if I'm able to keep some air flowing in at the higher speeds a track would allow.

Worst case I'm not afraid to ventilate my stock hood to test for cooling benefits. Carbon would be ideal, but it's also more expensive than my time with an angle grinder. :p

Also, I uploaded a bunch of videos from a couple of the autocross sessions this summer:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7rMn_7vntwCmAzw8r4EppQ

Have more to upload from the last two events I attended, but my upload speed is abysmally slow at home, so I have yet to get to it.

·
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Im either having one made along with my carbon body or chopping up a carbon one and adding vents. I've yet to find a carbon hood with the venting I'm after.

The stock hoods are super heavy and you can get quite a bit of cooling and aero effects with a properly vented hood.

·
Very Senior Member
9,979 Posts
Curious just to see which members here are dusting their cars off and doing some sanctioned racing this season. ..
Nick
I have made the hard decision to "retire" from all track duty and to give my car a well-deserved refresh.
My reflexes and eyesight are below the standard where I am comfortable going all out on the track, and I don't know any other way to drive (on a track!).
My last event was a bit difficult on me, and my enclosed trailer had some suspension components fail just before we got to the track. Finding parts and working on the trailer just drained time and energy from the event - and cemented my decision to retire.
I will miss it mightily, but I knew the time was coming.
Hope everyone has a great season - and HAVE FUN!

·
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I have made the hard decision to "retire" from all track duty and to give my car a well-deserved refresh.
My reflexes and eyesight are below the standard where I am comfortable going all out on the track, and I don't know any other way to drive (on a track!).
My last event was a bit difficult on me, and my enclosed trailer had some suspension components fail just before we got to the track. Finding parts and working on the trailer just drained time and energy from the event - and cemented my decision to retire.

Ahhh thats a bummer to hear, I guess its better to throw in the towel when you and the car are still healthy though. People don't realize the physical demand of racing, its no joke.

I'm currently building a spec roll cage for mine right now, hoping to get some seat time next year

·
Registered
957 Posts
Im either having one made along with my carbon body or chopping up a carbon one and adding vents. I've yet to find a carbon hood with the venting I'm after.

The stock hoods are super heavy and you can get quite a bit of cooling and aero effects with a properly vented hood.
I'll likely be going with an Advan hood, I have an email somewhere that they told me it weighs something like 23 lbs. Heavier than the one I had custom made, but that one seemed like it didn't quite have enough bracing to stay together. Time will tell I suppose, as it's now on another car. Either way, the Advan looked like a nice piece, has vents above the intake and exhaust sides of the engine. Plus, it avoids the troubles of custom hood development, but in your case I suppose that matters only a little.

Nice rip Brad! looks like fun
Thanks bud! It is indeed a lot of fun. I really want to give one of the more experienced guys a full on shot with my car enough that they can get used to it, and see if they can beat my times in my car. Had one guy coaching me, and while I do appreciate his tips and guidance, (he is almost always the FTD at any autocross he attends), I truly wonder if he could do any better than I could haha.

More throttle response and / or better low end torque would be quite nice. So many ways to get there, but so little budget to work with for now. Suppose I'll just have to stick to scaring all the guys with newer cars... or just take the Miata out and try to beat them outright.

That is unfortunate to hear, but I can totally relate. I'm not old by any means, but even I have noticed I'm not as sharp as I was 20, or even 15 years ago. My skills as a driver are significantly better, but my abilities as a human aren't really on that level anymore.

Might I suggest autocross? It's still a riot, and I regularly see people in their 60's and 70's tearing it up among the cones...

·
Very Senior Member
9,979 Posts

Might I suggest autocross? It's still a riot, and I regularly see people in their 60's and 70's tearing it up among the cones...
That is a reasonable suggestion, but I tried autox a few times and it just did not click for me. It does have the advantage of not sharing the track with anything but cones, but I guess I am addicted to the higher speeds and long tracks - the longer the better! If the itch continues, I may have to give it another try.

·
Registered
957 Posts
That is a reasonable suggestion, but I tried autox a few times and it just did not click for me. It does have the advantage of not sharing the track with anything but cones, but I guess I am addicted to the higher speeds and long tracks - the longer the better! If the itch continues, I may have to give it another try.
I'd fully support giving it another shot. Try riding along with someone in a Miata sometime... it's a real eye opener for sure! I've only driven them in anger myself, to be a passenger at speed in one was honestly frightening. I've only autocrossed Supras until this most recent event, where I decided to sit out the afternoon session (new to us car, was making a suspension clunk when going over the big whoops in the parking lot we were in), when a fellow course worker offered to let me co-drive his Miata.

Nothing terribly special, wasn't "fast" by Supra standards, didn't have any power, but Good Lord, it was frighteningly quick! I was two seconds faster, consistently, than the Supra I brought to the track that day. Turns out there's a reason that Miata is the answer for everything haha.

Even if you stick to your Supra, you'll probably still have a good time. I'm considering stepping down to a smaller turbo for mine to gain some throttle response and ease of control (my 1j is gutless off boost, even with the 4.10 diff), but even so, I'm fairly competitive in a car that wasn't really designed with autocross in mind. :)

·
Very Senior Member
9,979 Posts
I'd fully support giving it another shot. Try riding along with someone in a Miata sometime... i......... Turns out there's a reason that Miata is the answer for everything haha.

Even if you stick to your Supra, you'll probably still have a good time. I'm considering stepping down to a smaller turbo for mine to gain some throttle response and ease of control (my 1j is gutless off boost, even with the 4.10 diff), but even so, I'm fairly competitive in a car that wasn't really designed with autocross in mind. :)
LOL. Missed my thoughts about Miatas in an earlier thread about track car options, huh? Not for me. Not at all.
I know they are nimble and quick, but not fast. That works for autox but not for me!
I purposely have a smaller turbo (PT5558) for track use/response and it works well and decent power.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I feel you Silver Supra. Heck I am 6'2" and cannot even get inside a miata without my knees in the windshield. I tried to get into a "bigger" S2000 and failed. Seat all the way back the wheel is in my chest. knees dont fit under the dash. The limit for me was a RX7 FD. That was tight cabin. 300ZX had room and a NSX did too. My SC has all the room I could want, and after replacing the entire suspension and drive-train it actually handles now. I'm probably going to keep tracking my SC and build a Supra for myself to enjoy. I am right there with you with the AutoX too. I need LAPS. I need to see immediate rewards of my work at the wheel seeing a lap timer click off a time every minute or so and not waiting 15 min to run 30 sec again wondering if I picked up a cone. So frustrating. It was good to learn with it but I want biiiiiig tracks like Silver Supra said. I wish I lived by Nurburgring or SPA Francorchamps. I wish racing was cheaper and I had large amounts of disposable income to do it every weekend. I would have a track supra and a nice one. music "back to life..back to reality..."

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I feel you Silver Supra. Heck I am 6'2" and cannot even get inside a miata without my knees in the windshield. I tried to get into a "bigger" S2000 and failed. Seat all the way back the wheel is in my chest. knees dont fit under the dash. The limit for me was a RX7 FD. That was tight cabin. 300ZX had room and a NSX did too. My SC has all the room I could want, and after replacing the entire suspension and drive-train it actually handles now. I'm probably going to keep tracking my SC and build a Supra for myself to enjoy. I am right there with you with the AutoX too. I need LAPS. I need to see immediate rewards of my work at the wheel seeing a lap timer click off a time every minute or so and not waiting 15 min to run 30 sec again wondering if I picked up a cone. So frustrating. It was good to learn with it but I want biiiiiig tracks like Silver Supra said. I wish I lived by Nurburgring or SPA Francorchamps. I wish racing was cheaper and I had large amounts of disposable income to do it every weekend. I would have a track supra and a nice one. music "back to life..back to reality..."
where in the US are you located? I don’t feel like it’s that cost prohibitive here. And big tracks you won’t learn as much.The ring takes a while to get around so it’s not like you get to see the same feature multiple times in a reasonable time span to test different things. Hell, you’re pressed to get more than 8 laps in on a public day.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts