Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NO, not another "U get what U pay for" thread.....

I'd like to know who has actually purchased, received, and/or installed one.

There have been quite a few kits sold, so someone's got to be using one.

Please PM me if ya don't wanna post it, or reply in this thread. I would like some specific feedback/opinions from someone who can provide actual info and NOT opinion on something they do not have.

·
Registered
907 Posts
hopesully they threw it out or atleast used it as a paper weight. ive seen pics of those turbos litteraly falling apart.

·
Registered
532 Posts
my buddy bought a new greddy turbo kit from ebay for his prelude...exact same kit you would get from a regular store, just cheaper. Works fine.
kev

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dave Capone said:
he's talking about the SSautochrome kit or whatever its called

Yeah... any of them really. I see alot of hearsay/opinions, but not from ANYONE who's actually got one. SSAutochrome seems like they've sold alot. Why would anyone else buy a turbo kit for a Supra? Gotta be someone on this forum that can give ACTUAL info. Sorry, but I see 'em going for around $800 shipped... even tho there are some missing items (like lines), there's gotta be someone who can give the details, since they ARE being bought. Thing is, there's a bunch of pages in threads knockin' 'em and no one's willing to come forth.

Just pm me with details... I have some issues with my stock setup and it's gonna cost me damn near $800 to stay stock (WTF is that!?!?)

Anyways, if I can gleam a few pieces out of this kit, it would be a step towards going single and upgrading in the future.

Please do not respond or express your negative opinions (we've heard them all), if you do not have one of these kits. I want info from an actual recipient/owner. Thanx.

E

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
the manifolds are great, i dont personally have one but a friend of mine bought one and compared it to his genuine HKS manifold and it was identical in every aspect, except the wastegate runner was smaller.
The wastegates are identical he said as well.
The rest of the kit I cant give input on.

G

·
satan's said:
Yeah... any of them really. I see alot of hearsay/opinions, but not from ANYONE who's actually got one. SSAutochrome seems like they've sold alot. Why would anyone else buy a turbo kit for a Supra? Gotta be someone on this forum that can give ACTUAL info. Sorry, but I see 'em going for around $800 shipped... even tho there are some missing items (like lines), there's gotta be someone who can give the details, since they ARE being bought. Thing is, there's a bunch of pages in threads knockin' 'em and no one's willing to come forth.

Just pm me with details... I have some issues with my stock setup and it's gonna cost me damn near $800 to stay stock (WTF is that!?!?)

Anyways, if I can gleam a few pieces out of this kit, it would be a step towards going single and upgrading in the future.

Please do not respond or express your negative opinions (we've heard them all), if you do not have one of these kits. I want info from an actual recipient/owner. Thanx.

E
^^^Exactly!!! We want some real info, not just bashing or flaming. Can someone who actually owns and installed this kit respond?

·
Registered
946 Posts
2 of my friends bought the turbo kit from SSautochrome.
Both manifold fitted nice and easy, everything whent smooth, untill the time came to put the turbo on the mani, it fitted right up but without the front housing, the housing was rubbing on the manifold tubes.

The only turbo that did fit right up without rubbing was the Master Power turbo.

1 of my friend is using the Master Power turbo with out falling apart or anything wrong with it, but my other friend bought a ITS turbo and the back housing (cracked) open.

I think the ssautochrome kits are good turbo kits, but they have some minor fitting problems still with only a few buck you can have a great turbo kit.

Even the wastegate fitted nice and performed good and inside and outside looks the same as the 40mm or 50mm wastegate from HKS.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Biggest problem with them is you cant get in touch with them

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Hey ToomuchBoost, did your friends have Supras that they bought the Turbo Kits for?

And any more info on these kits would be great. I actually wrote the guy an email, offering him an opportunity to get some good exposure by testing out one of his kits and do a write-up with pics, and have it professionally installed by Jpimportz. But he didn't reply. All I wanted was for him to furnish the kit free, or at a discounted rate. :dunno: :biggrin:

But seriously, I'm interested in these kits solely because from what I've heard the Manifolds are pretty good, the Intercoolers used are good, and so are the Wastegates. So for the price of $1100 bucks the turbo's only like $300-$400. It could be worth the risk to just see how this thing holds up.

Anymore info or Experience with these kits would be great. Thanks

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
I won't give out any names, but I will give a little info about the poor quality of the kit. I helped install one. The manifold required dremeling to line up the holes properly. Turbo would not line up on the manifold. The guy had to weld an extra t4 flange on top of the manifold to give the turbo placement more height.. More height prevented the compressor housing from hitting the #1 runner. The wastegate doesn't hold boost (just b/c it looks like hks doesn't mean it will perform the same). To top it all off.. the manifold is cracking.

P.S. A good running BPU car will out perform his with less issues!!

G

·
I dunno, if you buy it and it breaks you have to buy it again... or buy a name brand one.

I wish there was more reviews about this :(

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
I can't say anything about the kit, but I have had no problems with the manifold . A few braces, v-band downpipe and mine was good to go. Everyone who has seen it can't believe it's the Ebay manifold.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
onelove said:
I can't say anything about the kit, but I have had no problems with the manifold . A few braces, v-band downpipe and mine was good to go. Everyone who has seen it can't believe it's the Ebay manifold.

I have seen it on Wes's car and the thing looks/sounds unbelievable. makes me wanna switch my sp manifold for one :)

-nick

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts

The rest of the kit was fabricated at Titan, however it wasn't anything entirely difficult. 3.5" v-band downpipe and your standard aluminum intake pipe.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've seen some mixed reviews and it looks like maybe different kits from different vendors... kinda hit or miss. Some seem to have received one and have had fitment issues, while others' just bolt right up.

Kinda need to capture the kit's contents, seller, and actual manufacturer (XS Power, reddogmotorsports, etc).

Seems that the manifolds are coming from different sources and if that can be nailed down, you can choose a kit/auction with the one you know will fit, etc....

MIDPIPES - Anyone know of any midpipe options, other than the Greddy, Blitz, etc ones? I am probably gonna use one of these kits in my MKIII/2JZ setup and don't want to get a standard MKIV midpipe and try to mate up to the MKIII exhaust. Will any exhaust shop be able to fab one up...if so, what would be a reasonable cost?

·
Registered
544 Posts
i have one haven't put any miles on it yet, but it physically mounted up without any dremeling etc. maybe they have QC issues.

it does look like a big compressor housing will hit a runner. a spacer should solve the problem just fine. with good gaskets and a stainless piece, i would think sandwiching the spacer would work just fine if you don't want to weld it onto the manifold.

i did some deburring, got a shorter stud and a thin, shaved down nut for one of the mounting holes, other than that, it mounted up just fine. Also, if you're going to spend time going over it, i'd consider machining the turbo and wg flanges. they totally did not seem like they were milled flat to me.

again it's not a great manifold. oh and just to repeat because its always worth mentioning, this thing doesn't cost shit. braced like onelove has it, it might be fine for quite a long time, who knows. i'd definitely make sure the downpipe was supported really well, too, and not just by the turbo and the rest of the exhaust.

shiva

1 - 20 of 123 Posts