Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1

Looking to speak to the owner of this car about diff ratio and problems/hurdles to overcome with this sequential setup please.

And thank you 馃槉

Registered
Don't know who the owner is, other than his name is Vaughn apparently, but I believe the car may have been build by ARD Motorsports in Georgia (the state). No idea if they had anything to do with the sequential trans though.

Super Moderator
Don't know who the owner is, other than his name is Vaughn apparently, but I believe the car may have been build by ARD Motorsports in Georgia (the state). No idea if they had anything to do with the sequential trans though.
I heard "Juan", not Vaughn :).

Ken.

Registered
I heard "Juan", not Vaughn :).

Ken.
Yep, just re-listened, definitely Juan.

Delving further into the gear ratio issue, all of the HGT sequential boxes appear to be closer ratio than the V160 so I think your final drive ratio is going to depend heavily on your intended use of the car. Given the availability of parts and a wide array of ratios, either the Grannas Racing 8.8 diff or DriveShaft Shop 9" rear end kits would be a good option.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, just re-listened, definitely Juan.

Delving further into the gear ratio issue, all of the HGT sequential boxes appear to be closer ratio than the V160 so I think your final drive ratio is going to depend heavily on your intended use of the car. Given the availability of parts and a wide array of ratios, either the Grannas Racing 8.8 diff or DriveShaft Shop 9" rear end kits would be a good option.
Thanks for the replies.

I am looking at 4.11 gears with either a dss 9 inch or gforce 9 inch.

But really wanted to speak with the owner about what he used and any hurdles I can expect etc

Registered
I really, really wanted one of these for my Mk3. Still do, but... that's a budget buster, and at a certain point I really need to quit spending money chasing an "ideal Supra" and finish my car. So I decided on going to a T56 from Grannas for my setup, and use the difference elsewhere.

Can't beat the weight savings though, not to mention the shift speed!

Downside with 4.11 differential gearing is that your cruising rpm, even with the 0.88 gear set, is that you're gonna be cruising some pretty healthy rpms on the highway. Road tripping being a big part of my car, that was kinda a deal breaker. If they were able to offer something like a 0.70, or 0.63 or thereabouts...

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I really, really wanted one of these for my Mk3. Still do, but... that's a budget buster, and at a certain point I really need to quit spending money chasing an "ideal Supra" and finish my car. So I decided on going to a T56 from Grannas for my setup, and use the difference elsewhere.

Can't beat the weight savings though, not to mention the shift speed!

Downside with 4.11 differential gearing is that your cruising rpm, even with the 0.88 gear set, is that you're gonna be cruising some pretty healthy rpms on the highway. Road tripping being a big part of my car, that was kinda a deal breaker. If they were able to offer something like a 0.70, or 0.63 or thereabouts...
I'll post in here when it's done, but I don't think it will be too bad with a 28 inch Tyre

Registered
I'll post in here when it's done, but I don't think it will be too bad with a 28 inch Tyre
That is a much taller tire than fits nicely in a Mk3, but yeah, you should be fine with an extra 3" of tire height. Sorry, tyre height. :p

What is your plan for the car? If mine was strictly a track car or I never took it on long trips, I'd likely have went the HGT route. Richard is a great guy to work with, and the product speaks for itself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts