Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here changed their own fuel filter on their MKIV before? I'm just curious how hard you thought it was...

I've done many fuel filters on many, many other cars, but I heard that on the MKIV, the flare nut is the biggest bitch in the world and messing it up means replacing the filter-back fuel line (doh!). :urowned:

Am I putting too much thought into this?
Also at what mileage did you change it at?

Any feedback would be great. All these stories are scaring me away from attempting it. If doing it in my garage will lead to downtime for the supra while I wait on an expensive replacement line from the dealer, I'll just take it to a good shop I know of.

Much appreciated.
Jon

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
weird...the email notification said Importsupyours replied to my thread...
where'd it go? :p

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
my car is making a ticking sound in the morning.,.and when rpm increase it also tick than goes away after 3k rpm.... sounds like comming from middle and the back.

anyone has similar problems?? head gasket? exhaust mainfold gasket??..?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
make sure you unbolt the fuel filter from the chassis before you try to unscrew the flare nut and you will be fine.

Carlo

·
Registered
185 Posts
TunaRollZ said:
weird...the email notification said Importsupyours replied to my thread...
where'd it go? :p
right here, I changed mines and it was easy. I also did the fuel dampener bypass mod while at it :bigthumb:

tbkonwso said:
my car is making a ticking sound in the morning.,.and when rpm increase it also tick than goes away after 3k rpm.... sounds like comming from middle and the back.

anyone has similar problems?? head gasket? exhaust mainfold gasket??..?
you probably need a valve adjustment :scratch:

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carlo - thanks for the tip!

Tbkonwso - LOL. Why'd you ask that on this thread? haha. It could be a lot of things. An exhaust leak would get more severe w/ RPM increase. Noisy valvetrain should probably be the first thing to suspect.

Importsupyours - thanks. That's encouraging news. What happened to your original reply? lol. Did you delete it?

·
OCC
897 Posts
The fuel filter r/r is pretty straight forward as long as you use a flare wrench and not a regular open end wrench. Be sure to relieve the fuel pressure, and also, raise the front of the car only (this helps to keep the fuel in the tank). Oh, and make sure u have plenty of ventilation and a fire extinguisher handy. :bigthumb:

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the additional tips!! :D

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Make sure you have a nice looking hunny with huge ass tits helping you out. Makes the job a lot easier. Trust me.

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
VINZE said:
Make sure you have a nice looking hunny with huge ass tits helping you out. Makes the job a lot easier. Trust me.
I don't know homie...might be too busy doing other things
:drool: :takethat: :faint:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Importsupyours said:
right here, I changed mines and it was easy. I also did the fuel dampener bypass mod while at it :bigthumb:

you probably need a valve adjustment :scratch:
Is there any write up on that? I woud like to read more about it. Thanks. Seems like fuel filter wouldn't be that hard..

·
Registered
185 Posts
VINZE said:
^yeah make sure she gets dizzy from sniffing the gas fumes :drool:

RichGT said:
Is there any write up on that? I woud like to read more about it. Thanks. Seems like fuel filter wouldn't be that hard..
click me :bigthumb:

·
Registered
793 Posts
It's not hard to do. I personally stripped the flare nut beacuse I used a regular wrench. DO not do this! You will strip the flare nut and pay 90.00 for curt to send you a new fuel line. Use Flare Wrenches! if its the original fuel filter be carefull you don't strip the threads, mine had some kinda orange lock-tite on it. Changing out the filter is a no brainer, as long as you're carefull and use the right tools.

- Randy

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the additional warnings man. I didn't get a chance to do it yet, but now I'm not all worried...

Those MKIV.com posts made this fuel filter job sound as bad as pulling teeth... :p

·
Registered
793 Posts
it's only bad if you damage the flare, then you can count on spending 2 hours replacing the entire line to the gas tank.

- Randy

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
understood. Thx homie

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pwr4all said:
it's only bad if you damage the flare, then you can count on spending 2 hours replacing the entire line to the gas tank.

- Randy
Looks like I'll be replacing the filter-to-tank line as well bro...

I had all the right tools and the flare nut did come out after much struggle. But going all the way into the new fuel filter was impossible. It just wouldn't go in all the way and fuel was able to spray out when the fuel pump was primed. I guess the old flare nut threads just didn't want to work anymore (I read about many cases of this on MKIV.com, which is my original reason for this thread).

So it took you 2 hours to replace the line?
Was it a pain in the ass too?
I didn't get a chance to look, but where is the rear connection at? I'm assuming it's either hiding in the rear suspension somewhere or all the way near the pump. Is it hard to get to?

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yessir I did. I read that it's pretty common for the flare nut to not want to go back in after it was finally removed. Upon removal from the old filter it started ceasing up...never a good sign...

·
Registered
793 Posts
TunaRollZ said:
Looks like I'll be replacing the filter-to-tank line as well bro...

I had all the right tools and the flare nut did come out after much struggle. But going all the way into the new fuel filter was impossible. It just wouldn't go in all the way and fuel was able to spray out when the fuel pump was primed. I guess the old flare nut threads just didn't want to work anymore (I read about many cases of this on MKIV.com, which is my original reason for this thread).

So it took you 2 hours to replace the line?
Was it a pain in the ass too?
I didn't get a chance to look, but where is the rear connection at? I'm assuming it's either hiding in the rear suspension somewhere or all the way near the pump. Is it hard to get to?

put the car on jack stands and allow all the wheels to have full droop ( espicialy the rear ). Take off the black plastic cover that covers the fuel and brake lines. The hard line goes from filter to just over the IRS. The hardest part is working the old and new line over the suspension. There is a soft line that connects the hard line into the fuel pump assembly. If you grab a flashlight you will plainly see this under the car. Do use anti sieze very sparingly on the flare nut threads so if you ever remove the filter again it comes out with eaze. I ordered the fuel line from Curt Aigner. PM me if you run into any snags.

- Randy

1 - 20 of 37 Posts