Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm trying to put a cage in my car, and due to the roofline in a Supra my head is pretty much against the roof with a helmet on, and of course it's in front of the main hoop. Due to the roofline how it slopes, the top of my helmet is higher than the main hoop of the cage. I'm 5'10," I know there are people taller than me that have a cage in their car. How do you fit in the car w/ the cage with your helmet on? The other thing I was looking at is most cages have the bars that go down the a pillar straight across above the windows. If I could maybe roll the bars to fit the contour of the roof, then they would be at least as high as my helmet. Otherwise in the event my car goes on its roof, the roof could collapse and compress my spine due to the cage being lower than my head, and its probably not as easy as it sounds to duck down when you're strapped in, wearing a helmet and firesuit. This isn't just something I can't figure out on my car. I've sat in other Supras w/ cages, and sometimes the main hoop is even farther back, past where the stock seatbelt uppers mount on the B pillar. This is getting frustrating, If I can't figure out something I'm not even going to bother with a cage. -Nick

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
If you run the stock seat, you'd have to set it so you fit under the hoop. The seat bottom lower's quite a bit, and you can tilt the seat back quite a bit too. What I did was mount a aftermarket seat so I fit (I'm 6'-4").

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you run the stock seat, you'd have to set it so you fit under the hoop. The seat bottom lower's quite a bit, and you can tilt the seat back quite a bit too. What I did was mount a aftermarket seat so I fit (I'm 6'-4").
Dave,
How can you lower the bottom of the stock seat? Take it off the tracks and mount it right to the floor? My arms aren't that long and my car's stick, so I have to have the seat reasonably close so I can drive it. What aftermarket seat did you use, a racing bucket or something else?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'd be interested in hearing what seats those with certified cages are running.. I have Sparco Evos and was told that with those seats the cage probably wouldn't get certification because of something having to cross at a certain height relative to hips/shoulder IIRC..

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I'd be interested in hearing what seats those with certified cages are running.. I have Sparco Evos and was told that with those seats the cage probably wouldn't get certification because of something having to cross at a certain height relative to hips/shoulder IIRC..
The sidebar has to cross around the midpoint of your arm between your shoulder and elbow. The NHRA rulebook spells it out pretty well. I have a kirkey pro street drag seat.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Oh me:wavey:

My cage is legal.
It's a six point hoop at the top with an x in the back and bars going down the side of the door.

I pretty much have the same problem as you, when in the car with the helmet on my head hits the cage a little bit. If you have a halo at the top your roof should'nt cave in.i'm about 5'10 too so.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh me:wavey:

My cage is legal.
It's a six point hoop at the top with an x in the back and bars going down the side of the door.

I pretty much have the same problem as you, when in the car with the helmet on my head hits the cage a little bit. If you have a halo at the top your roof should'nt cave in.i'm about 5'10 too so.
You have a 6 point rollbar, which is good to 9.99. I need a cage, good until 8.50. The halo doesn't solve anything because the front of the windshield is lower than the top of my helmet. The highest point on a Supra roof is right where your head goes, it slopes up from the windshield, then back down. This is why I'm trying to find a chassis shop that can roll the bars to go completely above the side window instead of straight across, so I have more rollover protection. I'd really like to keep my cloth NA seats, but if I can't I can't I guess...

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
You have a 6 point rollbar, which is good to 9.99. I need a cage, good until 8.50. The halo doesn't solve anything because the front of the windshield is lower than the top of my helmet. The highest point on a Supra roof is right where your head goes, it slopes up from the windshield, then back down. This is why I'm trying to find a chassis shop that can roll the bars to go completely above the side window instead of straight across, so I have more rollover protection. I'd really like to keep my cloth NA seats, but if I can't I can't I guess...
If you look close, you can see we bent the bars that run above the side window to roughly follow the roofline. I think there are 2 or 3 bends in that piece.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts