Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im just curious to know how many still have the stock oem original 6spd rear and are making 600+rwhp on the track.? i only ask this to narrow down some swaying issues and having trouble staying in the groove goin down the track. mostlikely its the combo of 28" et streets and my 18" radials up front. i max inflated the fronts to 50 psi to help this but still no luck.and yes ,many will say " use the trd rear" . but if it aint broke i dont want to fix it. ill try to bring up the et tire pressure to 24 psi cold and see if that will help a lil and deal with the wheel spin.

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
Im using the stock 6sp rear on my auto and have NO issues at all. Making lots of power, good launches, ect... What kills them is the wheel hop you 6sp guys get. :)

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
drift tt 23 said:
its the combo of 28" et streets and my 18" radials up front.
That is why the car does not track very well. Period.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Most people prefer to run skinnies up front with ET Streets.

·
Revolutionary Brotha
35 Posts
davidX said:
Most people prefer to run skinnies up front with ET Streets.

True, less rolling friction. IMO, i dont think you need for that big of a tire in the front, throws off alignment angles (SAIand caster, I think), tho i dont kno wether or not that would affect you in the quarter.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Had it in my old car.
NO swaying BUT I had the skinnies up front...which is your problem for swaying as Dan stated.

Reactions: Viper TT

·
Registered
353 Posts
FYRARMS said:
That is why the car does not track very well. Period.
Here is your answer as FYRARMS has already stated. It is strongly recommended a bias ply tire should not be mixed with a radial tire.

If you're running an ET Street or equivalent bias ply tire, it is in your best interest for safety to find a bias ply front tire which normally equates to a skinny.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Sal is right. Not to mention that a wide radial tire up front with be trying to follow every little dip and groove on the track. Meanwhile, your fat slicks out back are all mushy and are swaying to begin with.

It makes for a scary ride. I ran my old Vortech'd 10-second Formula with Yokohamas up front and M/Ts in the back. I about shit myself halfway down the track at how bad the car was moving around. :eek:

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm still running the stock diff and gears for a 6spd. Wheel Hop and not preloading the driveline on the launch are you 2 biggest contributors to broken diffs.

One the other subject:

Most of the time the moving around felt in the car is from a lack of weight on the rear. Which translates to suspension not the tire on the front.
I never had 1 issue with running 18's on the front and ET on the rear on stock springs and KYB's. I put on the HKS drag coilovers and the car is planted and never moves even at 9 psi in the rear tires. Heck most people think my car is an auto because once it's planted it doesn't move. :bigthumb: The skinnies were to help with weight transfer and 60'.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i can control the swaying til i get to top of 3rd shift to 4th and then its all over the place. it feels like to me the rear isnt posi,kinda like power is alternates from left wheel to the right for the rest of my hell ride. runnin max psi 50 psi in front toyo radials seems to help a lil bit.i posted this only cause so many told me to replace my stock rear with the trd unit and all will be fine.so after reading all the replies[ :hug: ] i can come up with a answer.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Track conditions play a major role. If you're at a track with heavy grooves and you come out of that groove with a radial/bias combo at a high rate of speed, there is a very good chance you're not coming out of it without some serious complications.

Briefly, the reason this is not recommended is the response from a radial tire is drastically different compared to a bias ply tire. Hence, running a bias ply front tire will prevent accidental overcorrections, which if you've really experienced a serious situation, really doesn't require much with a radial tire up front.

Yes, people do it all the time. That does not necessarily make it acceptable. My primary concern when racing is the safety of myself and others around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts