Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if anyone has run methanol on a NA-T set-up w/o a thicker headgasket. From my experience with my Typhoon anyway, methanol makes for some insane boost (read: double the psi from pump gas with zero knock) w/o making any other modifications. I guess what I'm wondering is if you fellas think that higher boost and in turn higher HP numbers are able to be made w/o having to go to a thicker head gasket. I want to keep as much low end as possible and a thicker head gasket will affect this adversely.

So, since I haven't seen much talk about it, let's make this the official thread regarding NA-T's and methanol injection.

So, who's got some Supra specific info here??? :bigthumb:

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
I will be installing a meth kit on my car, the guy from www.alkycontrol.com lives in my town and will most likely do the work on my car. We talked to him at a show about the kits and he definately knows his shit... after looking more into it I am sold...

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To give you guys an idea....

My '92 Typhoon has stock compression and on 91oct I was running ~14psi with no knock. The same truck w/nothing more than a progressive alky kit running 100% methanol was able to run ~25psi with absolutely no knock. This is also a low pressure reading as I blew the end tanks off my intercooler at this pressure when I was still tuning and had plenty of room for more boost. I still think it'll be near 30psi on 91oct with no knock when it's running 100% and tuned properly. I've got the new intercooler but am chasing down ignition gremlins at the moment and once that's solver I'll start putting the fire to it to see what it's got.

So, carrying this over to the Supra, what boost are NA-Ts running w/o the HG? Did I see 12psi? If this is the case, then there's no reason that a NA-T with stock head gasket couldn't run 25psi. Not to mention the turbo would spool sooner thanks to the higher compression (more 'engine power' down low) as well as methanol is claimed to assist in turbo spooling ~500RPMs (some claim even more) and the cooling characteristics are unbelievable if you've ever seen an EGT gage on a car making boost with methanol injection... the needle actually goes the opposite way you normally see it as boost and RPMs increase in 'normal' turbo charged vehicles.

I was hoping someone here had already done this with real world numbers for us.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a methanol kit for my IS300T, I haven’t had the opportunity to run the car yet. Hopefully by next week the car should be up and running.

·
At My Signal Unleash Hell
820 Posts
jeremyhelling said:
I'm curious if anyone has run methanol on a NA-T set-up w/o a thicker headgasket. From my experience with my Typhoon anyway, methanol makes for some insane boost (read: double the psi from pump gas with zero knock) w/o making any other modifications. I guess what I'm wondering is if you fellas think that higher boost and in turn higher HP numbers are able to be made w/o having to go to a thicker head gasket. I want to keep as much low end as possible and a thicker head gasket will affect this adversely.

So, since I haven't seen much talk about it, let's make this the official thread regarding NA-T's and methanol injection.

So, who's got some Supra specific info here??? :bigthumb:
Well, I've been running methanol/water all year last year but I do have the 3mm headgasket.
First, methanols/water does give you room for higher boost with pump gas. It cools down the motor and intake while under boost. At one Dyno session after 30 mins of the car running and about 10 pulls the intake was cold to te touch. You can also see you EGT's drop under boost.
You can try running methanol with stock headgasket and a little hight boost, but I would recomend to have some kind of monitoring. I have the TechTom (ODBI) and I monitor timing and knoking. Without methanol my timing stays at 17-20 degress under boost. With methanol my timing jumps to 27-30 degress, meaning the computer sees that there is no knocking and the car can handle more boost.
Methanol is so efficient that my last time at the track I overboosted (30+psi) running pump gas and methanol and the car did not smoke or anything. Drove the car home just fine and found out that piston #2 lost compression. Without methanol I would've blow the engine to peices.
Right not I'm in the process of changing pistons :)

--Oliver

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Urban Customs said:
so for some of us who dont know much about this meth conversion. what would be the advantage to a low compression na-t.
Methanol injection will allow for higher pre-detonation levels... which will allow one to run higher levels of boost w/o knock. Adding a thicker headgasket is one way to accomplish this but the trade-off is that the lower the engine compression the lower the engine power. The turbo more than makes up for this with higher boost levels once it's online but you WILL lose low end and midrange going to a thicker headgasket. My car is already nutless (I live a mile above sea-level where vehicles are ~20% less powerful) and I couldn't imagine doing anything to it that will cause even worse low end and midrange power. So, if I'm able to run 25psi (for example) on an NA engine with a 3mm head gasket and the same 25psi on the same engine w/o a thicker head gasket using methanol injection I'll take option B any day of the week. You'll also get a little quicker turbo spooling with methanol injection and another side effect is an engine steam cleaning which will keep carbon deposits from building up. So, methanol injection is gaining popularity for many reasons and a good kit is one of the best mods you can do to a turbo charged engine IMO.

It's not so much of a conversion as an add-on. You need a controller, pump, nozzle, container to hold the methanol and the wires and high pressure lines. That's the basics and there are many available from many different tuners. I have a progressive unit from Razor (User on the SyTy forums) that actually takes readings from your MAP and then revs up the amount of pressure in the methanol system based on the amount of boost you're running.

On my Typhoon, as an example of how well it works, I was running 14 or 15psi on pump gas (91 octane). With NO other modifications other than a methanol injection kit I was able to safely increase the boost to over 25psi (I blew my intercooler end tank from the excess pressure so I wasn't able to continue tuning and increasing the boost level but am pretty sure I would have seen almost 30psi on 91 octane with zero knock). To me, that's amazing and I don't know how everyone isn't running methanol (or alky) injection on turbo charged applications.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
you guys can read up more here:
it's a whole forum dedicated to alcohol injection

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14

they run some crazy boost when the alcohol is being injected in......

instead of running with a controller you can run with a dual nozzle system
(until you have the money for a controller anyways)
but it's works just as good

check www.coolingmist.com for parts to build your own and complete kits

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kmn5 said:
you guys can read up more here:
it's a whole forum dedicated to alcohol injection

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14

they run some crazy boost when the alcohol is being injected in......

instead of running with a controller you can run with a dual nozzle system
(until you have the money for a controller anyways)
but it's works just as good

check www.coolingmist.com for parts to build your own and complete kits
Yup, that's the place for the info there. Razor/Julio makes an unreal alky kit. It's the one I'm running on my Typhoon and I can tell you that I'm nothing short of amazed by it. Join up and do some research. If you do create a log in, please use my referral so I can use an avatar over there. You have to have some referrals before you can use an avatar so use this link:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=15225

You're looking at less than $500 (by quite a bit) for a full progressive control alky kit so for a Supra guy that's not a big deal compared to the $2k that gets dropped on intercooler kits. Matter of fact, if money is tight, do the alky kit first as you won't even need an intercooler with it. This $500 will be the best you ever spent on your Supra.

I'm curious who's done what with the NA-T using methanol injection. I see no reason at all why one can't run the same amount of boost guys are running with a thicker head gasket and keep the higher compression in the engine for more engine power on top of that.

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BlackSupra93 said:
i heard about a tt guy who parked on a slant and the alcohol drained into the engine? will that be a problem with this kit?
I can't say no to that because I don't know enough about that particular situation or what happened to say one way or the other if it would or wouldn't happen. If you ask on that site listed about I'm sure you could get a direct answer. Julio is the name of the guy who makes the kits. He uses the name 'Razor' on that forum and he is very good at replying and answering everyone's questions.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Never heard of parkign on a slank causing a problem

I have heard of fulid being sucked in under vacum, but that's won't happen
Unless your missing a Check Valve or Solenoid.

ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A CHECK VALVE, OR BETTER YET A SOLENOID
this makes sure the line will not dribble under vacum

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
kmn5 said:
Never heard of parkign on a slank causing a problem

I have heard of fulid being sucked in under vacum, but that's won't happen
Unless your missing a Check Valve or Solenoid.

ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A CHECK VALVE, OR BETTER YET A SOLENOID
this makes sure the line will not dribble under vacum
Kind of what I was thinking but I wasn't sure of the set-up of the car that had the issue. I seriously doubt that it's possible w/the kit I have but again, I can't speak from first hand knowledge.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts