Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Minor Threat
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a late Christmas present coming my way and want to know what Optima battery would be most suitable for my car. From what I've read, it looks like a Red Top (Starting) would be best. Do you see any reason I would need the Yellow Top (Deep Cycle) model? I don't have any high drawing electrical components, but in the future I may decide to put in a modest stereo system. Thanks in advance for your input....

·
CT12 Destroyer
2,993 Posts
i have yellow top in my integra and red for my supe. I have huge system in my integra so i had to use it . they both work great :) definatly worth the price

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
its fairly simple- if you live in a cold climate, you need the red top. battery design is a compromise between cold cranking ability and deep cycle ability. deep cycle batteries can't handle the cold, cold cranking batteries can't handle deep cycling.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I've got an orange top. Same as the red top with the terminals reversed to fit toyotas. It isnt worth the money imho.

·
Classic Cars = Secks
490 Posts
Red top here. I got mine free! :D My father took it from a parts car of his...

G

·
0 Posts
I would say get a red top (starting) espeically since you are farther north. But any of the optima batters will work (as already noted)

Just some better knowledge for those who are asking the same questions, if you get a deep cycle in any flavor you need to get one rated higher then what you need.. deep cycle are not by nature ment to be used as starting batteries, however they can be as long as you get one with more cold cranking amps then usual, I belive 5-10% more? The main difference is starting batteries are ment to send alot of power at once but cannot be drained too low (5% i belive befor they start to become ineffictive).. deep cycle are sorta the opposite.. they dont send tons of power at once but can be used to around 80% their capacity.

Also in colder climats you you are more conserned with cold cranking amps then those from warmer climats.. thus a regular starting better would be best. It would deliver a large amount of power at once.. something that deep cycle is not as effective at doing, althought they will last longer..

·
Registered
205 Posts
Between my dad and I we have 4 Optima Red top batteries. I bought the first one for my 88 4-Runner and had no problems mounting it since the battery location is on the passenger side and the normal red top (with side posts) fits just fine. I also purchased one for my 89 supra but had to extend the positive terminal to reach the post. My dads 87 4Runner was no problem since it was similar location as my 88.... BUT the newer 99 4Runner is on the driver side like the Supra... and he found out that there is another model of the RED TOP Optima that have the posts on the opposite sides, it also doesn't have side posts.

If you go for the Red top make sure you get that different styled one and it has 50 more CCA also(800 vs 750). Regular CA is the same on both 980. The different styled one was purchased at Batteries Plus in Billings, MT for $126. The oldest one I have is about 2.5 years old and never had a problem with any of them and it is garranteed for 4 years.
Hope that helps.

·
Do You Even HKS, Bro?!?
1,493 Posts
I have a red top in mine. Only problem is securing it which I did by fabbing a aluminum tray that bolted in to the stock area.

S

·
0 Posts
Just a question, why get an Optima at all? They are awfully expensive for not much benefit overall, depending on your application and Optima type used. Huge majority of cars on the road run "regular cheapo" batteries for many years without problems.

But to sum up the battery usage:

-Red top Optima: Think of it as an expensive regular battery. Apart from the ability to mount in any position, it doesn't offer much in return for the extra money. From what I've seen on the stereo forums, it doesn't seem to offer any extended lifespan over normal types.

-Yellow top Optima (or blue top): Semi-deep cycle battery, it is NOT a true deep cycle battery. Notice in their advertising it says "deep cycle ability" or "characteristics".

Biggest benefit is you can discharge it, without causing much damage to the battery, unlike the red top, or a "regular battery". Only useful if you use your car without the engine running, such as listening to the stereo etc. Disadvantages are reduced CCA's and extra weight.

-With the engine running, any battery is nothing but an extra load on the system. A bigger or more powerful one doesn't provide any improvement, quite the opposite.

-Most batteries will last about 5 years. My Yellow top may not last even that long by the looks of it.

-As far as starting the engine (main use of the battery), I haven't had any problems using a tiny 450 CCA "regular cheapo" battery even in relatively cool weather (-5 Celsius). My Optima cost about 6 times more than this battery! But I use the electrical system a lot without the engine running, so there is justification for using it in my case.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Having sold Optima batteries I can say they serve a purpose. I had a yellow top in my Supra for about 2 years, it worked great. Would I recommend an Optima over a regular car battery, well it depends on the purpose and manufacture. If any of you have priced a "true" gell cell battery then you know that the Optima is not a bad deal. But as far as a true starting battery, well its alittle overpriced. I would stick with a good Interstate or anything made by Johnson Controls. Deko batteries for you northern boys seems to be a good manufacture. Stay away from Exide and Delco. If price is no option then why not go with an Optima, plus they look good when you pop your hood:)

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
- Red Top
:D

·
Registered
318 Posts
I like them because they don't mess up the paint where my battery sits. My beloved SE-R has a huge nasty rust area where standard batteries have spewed acid over the years - I hate that.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yep, eventhough it doesn't purtain to supras in this case, off-roading you won't spill any acid and corrode the crap out of your terminals and paint. Pertaining to the supra, you won't corrode your terminals and have to clean them or worry about topping each cell off with water. This one truely is matainence free.

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Redtop Optima, and I have had no problems with it since I installed it.
Old battery puked on my light cover and front bumper cover. (Prior owner.)
Also the uncleaned up acid has eaten some metal, the only area of rust on my car at all. (Under the battery tray, and on both sides near the radiator.)
Dang normal acid batteries.
Next time I'm going with the smaller version from Holley. (Like the ones used in the SR71's. Very cool battery, but they are kinda on the expensive side, should be the last battery I'll ever buy however.)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thermactor said:
Red top here. Shafted for $130 in Pep Boys.
So did I....so did I.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts