Supra Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Thermactor said:
Red top here. Shafted for $130 in Pep Boys.
lamer5 said:
So did I....so did I.
Don't feel bad, I paid over 300 dollars Canadian for my Yellow top. I couldn't find any regular stores that sold it back then, and had to go through a car stereo place.

Like I said, if I get another year out of it, I'll be happy. :(

·
Registered
133 Posts
lamer5 said:
So did I....so did I.
This must have been the only time I've gotten lucky - I paid $110 for my Red Top at Advance Auto Parts back in July.

Is everybody using a custom battery hold-down with the Optima battery since the OEM Toyota bracket no longer fits?

·
Registered
193 Posts
The red top is great battery, but is expensive and requires pulling the stock MKIII battery wires very tight or making custom wires.

Based on my experience the red tops fail more quickly than a standard battery if allowed to drain below threshold. Something to think about if your Supra is not a daily driver. In addition, the red top should not be charged with a conventional fixed amp battery charger. To prevent damage you'll need something along the lines of a Battery Tender or the Optima charger.

On the plus side, it has a 3 year full replacement warranty. They haven't blinked an eye at replacing the two that I killed.

·
0 Posts
When I purchased mine about 6 months ago it already had an Orange top. Since I have never seen an orange top before this, I think it is an earlier model but regardless it gives me no problems and starts my car everytime.

·
Registered
269 Posts
wera172 said:
Is everybody using a custom battery hold-down with the Optima battery since the OEM Toyota bracket no longer fits?
I am still looking for a way to hold it down correctly, if anyone has a simple solution please share.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I haven't put an Optima in the Supra yet, but I have put an orange top (just a reverse red top) in the Tacoma. I don't know if it pertains to the Supra mounting issue, but I'll throw it out there.

On the Tacoma, the stock battery was taller than the Optima, so the factory hold-down would not work correctly. The solution - Optima makes a plastic adapter that snaps to the bottom of the Optima. With the spacer installed the factory hold-downs work.

If this is the same fitment issue on the Supra, your Optima dealer should be able to order the spacer. Batteries Plus ordered one for me and didn't charge me anything.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts