Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering why auto's seem to be as popular as, if not more than, the 6-speed trannys? i don't get it! is the auto THAT strong and good for performance driving? why would the fastest supras run auto trannys?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't do any road racing. Auto is much more pleasant and easier to drive when drag racing, For less skilled driver like me, auto launchs much consistant than 6sp. there for win more races. and since most of my driving are done in the traffic. So auto is the logical choice for me.
Only problem now is, (I know there are upgraded tranny/TC for sale) I don't know if there is a Tranny and T/C on the market today that can handle 600+rwhp beast very long. especially the TC.
I hope I'm wrong, may be some other of high power auto can give some input.

Wayne

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
Auto's are popular because of both drag racing and just plain availability. There are a few less 6-speeds out there, and those who have them are more likely to hold onto them.

Auto's are very streetable, practical, good for dragracing, and will keep up very well on the road course. 6-speeds are obviously a little more fun to drive (excl. traffic) and are kind of a handfull/skill art on the dragstrip.

As far as a reliable upgraded tranny, I think Larry @ Sound Performance has gotten the formula right. Of course only time will tell, but they've held up a lot longer already than any other manuf. And if they do fail, he will stand behind the product 110% unlike some other tranny builders/tuners I've done business with.

Much like Dusty @ MVP, Supra's are his bread and butter and he stands with a lot to loose if he wrongs the Supra community. That is why you see such good customer service from them. They both run good honest businesses which speaks a lot for them.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because Auto's OWN 6spds...:D

There were actually many more 6spd made than autos, but in the used car market, there seems to be more auto's available.

Also auto's are worth more according to banks, insurance companies, KBB, and ME...:D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh the never ending battle between auto and 6spd owners. :D I have to admit that I've been very happy with my auto. Both in how it performs and how streetable it is. Its a pleasure to drive it in traffic and on the open road. And since I use my car as a daily driver the auto option just made more sense. That and all the 6spds i looked at when i was in the market for a supra were ragged out. So I picked a stock auto that a little old lady used to drive. :)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I was really skeptical at first, because I was originally searching for a 6speed, I didnt believe how good the Supras Auto tranny was despite all the talk about it on here... but then I finally started to listen.. and after taking my first Auto TT for a test drive I was hooked, I thought it was just fine in acceleration and fun.. its a Supra. its fun to drive period in my opinion :D

Plus it shifts like a monster too, for being a stock tranny which I have now (going with Sound Performance when the time comes) I can easily loose traction on the 1/2 shift and 2/3 shift sometimes... which is pretty damn good for an Auto @ BPU around 20lbs of boost give or take... I cant wait til I have a built tranny :cool:

Edit... correction I meant during the #2 turbo coming online.. and the 1st to 2nd shift I can break loose with ease.. but I do only have Kuhmo Ecsta Supras on the back, so that could be a little bit of the reason.. my BFG's did the same thing though, and that was before BPU.. I think I have a pretty strong running car Id like to get on a dyno one of these days :(

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep, Ryan says right, i also got advice from my friend Andy,
because i am in the middle of chooing the single, but most of people seen put sound performance turbo if they have auto tran.
and 6-speed for Greddy turbo, just my opinion,.. and the popularity of the transmission is very hard to tell, anyhow, auto tt might be more than 6-speed out there. or maybe if you saw auto are more popular, maybe that's the time when most people like to using mkiv for drag raing than road racing.

just my personal opinion, no offence!
-Ming

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your right hand is shifting you cannot hold your beer.

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
wcc said:
I don't do any road racing. Auto is much more pleasant and easier to drive when drag racing, For less skilled driver like me, auto launchs much consistant than 6sp. there for win more races. and since most of my driving are done in the traffic. So auto is the logical choice for me.
Only problem now is, (I know there are upgraded tranny/TC for sale) I don't know if there is a Tranny and T/C on the market today that can handle 600+rwhp beast very long. especially the TC.
I hope I'm wrong, may be some other of high power auto can give some input.

Wayne
Alot of the Supra guys run the Prescion Industries TC. I know of cars (not supras) that run low 5s high 4s in the 1/8th with a Prescion Industries converter. PI makes all thier converters out of billet steel. So torque converter reliablilty shouldnt be a problem. Its usually the tranny that would fail first not the converter.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
G said:

Alot of the Supra guys run the Prescion Industries TC. I know of cars (not supras) that run low 5s high 4s in the 1/8th with a Prescion Industries converter. PI makes all thier converters out of billet steel. So torque converter reliablilty shouldnt be a problem. Its usually the tranny that would fail first not the converter.
I realize that a lot of Supra owners are using PI TC. But I like to hear from those owners just how are those TC holding up with 500-600+rwhp their turbo produced.

Wayne

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RSA Supra said:

LOLROTFLMAO!!!! :D :D :D

Come on JackB where are you, I think you and Roberto can have a nice pissing match. I think Roberto will win though. :p
:D :D :D :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what is wrong with you people

EVERYONE KNOWS that manuals are MUCH better than AUTO's. . .get with the program

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
You my friend... must not have too much Supra knowledge :D (just kidding)

I happen to love my Auto.. and my Auto with the same mods as a 6speed ... basically if the cars were identical... would beat the 6speed in a race 9/10 times... However, the 6speed is more fun.

when it comes to supras the only real advantage of the 6speed over the auto is... 1) more fun 2) better for huge turbos/defeating turbo lag 3) 3% less drivetrain loss... I think thats it. :D

I wouldnt mind having a 6speed though.. im sure its a ton of fun.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was dead set on a 6 speed.... till I started shopping around. Then I realized after 2 years, that you buy what you can find. I got an auto. I think it's great. I have driven 5 or so diff supras, all autos. So I can only assume the 6 spd is more fun.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Auto's are popular because turbos are built for automatic trannies :D They are like match made in heaven or hell....

·
Very Senior Member
9,962 Posts
This question is kind of misleading.
Since Toyota is not selling MKIV's in the US now, there is no popularity contest involved.
There were a certain number of 6-spd and a certain number of auto trannies sold. That's what is available now (less the ones that are no longer with us:( ).
Hopefully, everyone gets which they want. I didn't care which I got as long it was a good car for the money. I gotta admit, the auto fits me pretty good, since I don't have much opportunity to make use of the 6-spd.

·
No Mercy
387 Posts
Automatic transmission

The Supra's automatic is a low-loss, high-performance, high-durability, high-horsepower transmission that has its advantages and disadvantages in different types of racing applications (drag, autocross, road racing, top speed, acceleration, etc.)

Please don't confuse it with a shitbox automatic found in a car such as a Honda Civic.

Welcome to the world of high performance sports cars. Enjoy your stay.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts