Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's so frustrating trying to pick up a MK4. A year and a half ago when I tried, it seemed like every person selling their car was a shady ass.

Ever been in a wreck? "Nope," is their reply as I'm looking at the fender overspray in the engine bay and different fender bolts. "Sure the engine is real strong," comes back from a compression test with 50 psi deviance between some of the cylinders. "I've never boosted over 16 pounds on the stock twins," with the greddy peak and hold showing 22psi. All of these from different people. So it's not like it was the same person being shady, but three different folks. So I got frustrated with it and just said fuck it. Bought a large turbo kit for the MK3 and a Teg GSR for a new daily.

So here I am a year and a half later trying again. Right off the bat the first two I've gone to check out it's the exact same shit. "Low mileage," apparently means swapping a cluster. The "turbo's are nice and strong" apparently means the second one doesn't even come on and if it does it's smokes all over the road. Game over man, game over. Fuck you, you shady south-west turds. Not a F you to all the SW folks, just the shady shits I keep running into while trying to buy a car. I'm not even gonna bother until I move back to Florida.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I was just selling my red mkiv 6 speed. I never did put it on supraforums though only auto trader. Where are you noticing the lies from? People on here or elsewhere?

·
95 Hardtopper X 2
1,709 Posts
All the low mileage cars on Supraforums being sold seem like good deals although you have to pay a premium for pristine cars.

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
why not just beat them down on the price and then service it yourself?

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
You just need to find the right one. I have a Supra that has a deposit and waiting for pickup that I have. It's pretty mint imo. Original paint, clean title, compression came out with a max variance of 5psi with a 175 low and a 180 high across all cylinders. It was a 93.5 TT with 87k miles. I'm sure the owner will have zero problems with the car and all the major maintaince has been done. He's coming soon to pick up and I know he'll have a blast.
Another thing to look for is the seller. Personally I've been a member here for a while now and have done deals with other members. I haven't had a compliant from a seller/buyer standpoint so that's something else to look for.

Good luck with buying one. It can be hard but it's worth it in the end.

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
Welcome to the used car market. I take it you haven't dealt with many use car salesmen or even private used cars for sale(not just supras).

·
911 Turbo Now
1,391 Posts
yeah, i know what you mean, when i was looking for my MKIV, i looked at it like this

Your going to get fucked one way or another, youll either pay a VERY high $ ammount for a really nice MKIV.
Or, youll be able to buy a "worn" MKIV , but then have to put a substantial(sp) ammount of money into it to make it the MKIV you want it to be....... its been said before "MKIV`s are very expencive to own"

just my .2

·
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
breakemlose said:
Where are you noticing the lies from? People on here or elsewhere?
I don't know if the folks had them listed on here or not. I usauly don't even bother looking stuff up here because it's like cross country. I've been following up on autotrader adds in arizona and california. Driving distance stuff.

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
s14roller said:
You just need to find the right one. .......

Good luck with buying one. It can be hard but it's worth it in the end.
That's a fact, Jack. You'll find this is basically true about buying used cars, in general. It's just that the MkIV's are rarer and more fun!!!!!!

·
900 BHP Club :)
4,934 Posts
I remember catching a guy on here selling a 94 supra that was actually Kale's old 93 that he flipped. Must have swapped out vins. I wonder where that car is now. It would pop up for sale every few months from different parts of the country. Same old red auto targa with 117K miles.

One time it was for sale up here in Seattle and Kale came up to pretend like he was interested. He asked the guy if it had ever been wrecked and the guy said no :wtflol:

·
HKS T04Z & Vpro Equipped
3,149 Posts
I am selling my car and I am in cali. All done up beautifully and in Modified Magazine this month if you want to give it another shot.

·
Found E85 NOT in NJ!
5,253 Posts
breakemlose said:
I was just selling my red mkiv 6 speed. I never did put it on supraforums though only auto trader. Where are you noticing the lies from? People on here or elsewhere?
that is one fucking shady place man.....i had to cuss because some ass was selling his supra for 5,000.....it looked good until he said that he was inthe czech republic and he had a HKS VPC and a PHR racing fuel system....... :wtflol:

·
Registered
156 Posts
You just have to try and be patient. Do carfaxing, ask a ton of questions, inspect the car thoroughly, get them to take it to do a pre-purchase inspection...

I thought that my seller was a super nice guy. It turned out that my fuel rail was stock and my fuel pump was stock when I was told HKS. I was also told that the switch in the glove compartment was to control a C16 fuel map and a 91 fuel map. I found out later that you can only toggle one map with the AEM. That the Haltech allows for 2 maps but not AEM so that switch did absolutely zip.

the way I look at it...overall the rest of the car is amazing so I did good. Buying a turboed car, especially a Supra...you should expect the worst at times and go from there.

·
Hayai Kuruma!
1,357 Posts
yah it does get frustrating lookin for the kind of cars that everyone wants! it's all about greed :( When owners know that this car is popular with the "kids" lol, they jack up the price even more... no fair! but i got mines from a man who didn't know jack shiet, so i got really lucky :D

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
I totally feel your pain. I'm in the middle of a 16 hour round trip drive to see a car that was described as "near perfect". When I asked to hear what stopped it from being perfect I got a response about a paint chip on the roof....How about the fact that the rear bumper doesn't sit straight, or that the interior pieces all look like shit and don't have screws holding them down, or the drips in the paint job, or the creased body structure from poorly repaired accidents, or the use of a bolt as a hinge pin in the door, etc.....what the fuck? Why waste someone's time with this crap when you can just tell them straight and save them the trouble?

I think people get confused when they see some of these cars selling for well above book. They start thinking that all MKIVs are valuable. Cars that sell for high prices do so because they're in great condition. Some of them are pieces of shit...wake up and realized the difference!

·
Registered
323 Posts
yea I know exactly what you're saying luckily i live in canada, and got an orginal canadian supra.....totally lucked out....just take your time, you'll find one, and when you do, a tear will shed. It's worth the wait.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts