Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolutely love my supra but I could really use the money for other things. So, I've put it up for sale a couple times and gotten no buyers. Only had one person even come out to test drive the car. They liked it but said they couldn't justify spending 25k on an 11 year old car.

With that said, the car is in IMMACULATE condition. I'm the 2nd owner, and the previous owner was an elderly man who left the car BONE stock and only put 42k miles on it! The black leather seats look like new, the car's interior is perfect, and the exterior looks amazing for an 11 year old car. There are only a couple minor dings, so nothing a serious buyer would have problems with. So basically it's a pristine Ren. Red 93 MKIV TT auto w/44k original miles. It's bone stock + the couple mods in my sig, clean title, never been in an accident, NOTHING mechanically bad, etc etc and I've asked $25,500 for the car. I get emails from people pointing out that the KBB value is 19xxx but they're morons, LOL. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any input! How would you go about selling this car?

·
BOOBIES
3,214 Posts
That seems like a pretty fair price for the milage. The only reason I think people might have trouble buying it is because it's an auto... But still, 25k seems fair if it is how you have described it. Fuck those retards who bring up the KBB... any Supra owner knows that the prices of their cars are not constrained by the KBB... I think if you dropped the price 1k it would seel extremely quickly. Or you can wait and someone will come along.

Good luck!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eggy said:
That seems like a pretty fair price for the milage. The only reason I think people might have trouble buying it is because it's an auto... But still, 25k seems fair if it is how you have described it. Fuck those retards who bring up the KBB... any Supra owner knows that the prices of their cars are not constrained by the KBB... I think if you dropped the price 1k it would seel extremely quickly. Or you can wait and someone will come along.

Good luck!
Yea, the reason I don't drop the price further is because I dont "need" to sell it...I could just use the cash more wisely if I did...I've had people lowball me but for the prices they offer, I'd rather keep the car :shrug:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
That's weird. When i sold my car nobody mentioned what kelly blue book said to me. Maybe what you need to do is slap a boost controller on there. Crank up the boost put a downpipe on it. AFter they drive it and feel the power they'll be more enthusiastic upon buying it.

I've had several people when looking at my supra and a stock supra tell me that my car kicked their ass by a large margin. Due to the performance aspect of being BPU.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
breakemlose said:
That's weird. When i sold my car nobody mentioned what kelly blue book said to me. Maybe what you need to do is slap a boost controller on there. Crank up the boost put a downpipe on it. AFter they drive it and feel the power they'll be more enthusiastic upon buying it.

I've had several people when looking at my supra and a stock supra tell me that my car kicked their ass by a large margin. Due to the performance aspect of being BPU.
Yea but I can't even get people to come and see the car! The last time I posted it on Craigslist, I didnt even get ONE email on it!!

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
Keep the price...seems like a very fair price and someone who wants the car will know what it's worth.

It's always funny to hear people talk about blue book...isnt a ENZO priced at $250k at book when in reality it's closer to $500k+?

Supply+demand is how the world works

·
583 Posts
Agreed, your price isnt bad considering the relatively low mileage. I sold my pristine BPU 6-speed last summer for 22k, it was perfect and needed nothing.

Red auto MKIV's have to be the most common of them all and many looking for an MKIV could pick up a full BPU car (with more miles) for that price.

I wouldn't pay 25k for an MKIV with dings in it. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Keep your car! If you sell and want another one in that condition later you'll have a hard time finding one near that price...These are still sought after cars, ahead of their times to the point of being contemporary now, and for the price of a new Corolla you can build it up to take on most of the new 500 hp (at the flywheel) Supercars coming out.
If you just see your Supra as just money in the bank though, then go ahead, drop the price a few k and get rid of it.
Otherwise you'll regret it later. I did. ;)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
s14roller said:
Keep the price...seems like a very fair price and someone who wants the car will know what it's worth.

It's always funny to hear people talk about blue book...isnt a ENZO priced at $250k at book when in reality it's closer to $500k+?

Supply+demand is how the world works
LOL, more like $650K asking, $1,000,000+ selling price. ;)

BTW, regarding the Supra, there are 3 things that sell cars:

1. Looks
2. Looks
3. Looks

If you have dings, FIX them!!! Also wax the car and make sure it looks 100% of what it can before anyone checks it out.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BLITZSUPRA said:
LOL, more like $650K asking, $1,000,000+ selling price. ;)

BTW, regarding the Supra, there are 3 things that sell cars:

1. Looks
2. Looks
3. Looks

If you have dings, FIX them!!! Also wax the car and make sure it looks 100% of what it can before anyone checks it out.
Again, let me say that I've only gotten one person to even come and see the car so the looks can't have everything to do with it!!

And the dings aren't bad AT ALL...I just thought I would disclose them because they are the only flaw on the car, period...

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Why isn't it selling...besides what BLITZSUPRA said? Not only are you selling to a small market...you are making it even smaller by trying to find a buyer who not only wants a supra...wants an auto...but ALSO is willing to pay more $ for the low miles, when supras with 80k miles still run perfectly and sell for less.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Philly Single said:
Why isn't it selling...besides what BLITZSUPRA said? Not only are you selling to a small market...you are making it even smaller by trying to find a buyer who not only wants a supra...wants an auto...but ALSO is willing to pay more $ for the low miles, when supras with 80k miles still run perfectly and sell for less.
well I think you're correct on the marketing thing, but I'm not going to lower the price of my 44k mile Supra to what an 80k mile one sells for...that just doesnt make sense...

·
Super Moderator
10,213 Posts
StoplightWarrior said:

And the dings aren't bad AT ALL...I just thought I would disclose them because they are the only flaw on the car, period...
I think you're wrong here. ANY ding on a Supra is a bad thing (or any other car for that matter), IMO, especially when you take the styling of the car into account.....rounded, no body side moulding, etc. Dings, to me at least, tell me someone didn't care enough about the car to have them taken care of. This makes one ask the question, what else might be wrong?

I've spoken to my wife about your car on a couple of occasions, but she's as anal about dings as I am ('99 A4 Quattro 2.8 with NO dings). As our cars get older in age, they will be more difficult to sell. Those that do will be at the top of the heap in terms of looks and performance and ownership. The performance doesn't have to be there because many want stock or bpu cars, but the looks and ownership/maintenance records will be vital, IMO, especially for someone looking for a weekend/pleasure vehicle. The competition in this area is very stiff and getting stiffer all the time. BLITZSUPRA and Imaginethat are on the mark, I believe.

Ken.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
KenHenderson said:
I think you're wrong here. ANY ding on a Supra is a bad thing (or any other car for that matter), IMO, especially when you take the styling of the car into account.....rounded, no body side moulding, etc. Dings, to me at least, tell me someone didn't care enough about the car to have them taken care of. This makes one ask the question, what else might be wrong?

I've spoken to my wife about your car on a couple of occasions, but she's as anal about dings as I am ('99 A4 Quattro 2.8 with NO dings). As our cars get older in age, they will be more difficult to sell. Those that do will be at the top of the heap in terms of looks and performance and ownership. The performance doesn't have to be there because many want stock or bpu cars, but the looks and ownership/maintenance records will be vital, IMO, especially for someone looking for a weekend/pleasure vehicle. The competition in this area is very stiff and getting stiffer all the time. BLITZSUPRA and Imaginethat are on the mark, I believe.

Ken.
maybe I shouldnt have mentioned them...LOL, you'd have to look SO closely at the car to even notice them...On my 96 Cobra, for example, there are typical door dings, and you can see em just looking at the body...The supra's not like that. I just meant to say that the paint is not 100% flawless, as some of the "show" cars on here are...this is my daily, and I've been VERY careful with it.

·
Very Senior Member
9,964 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but how long have you had the car listed on the usual online outlets? Sometimes it takes quite a while to find the right buyer.

I think people will be able to find decent MkIV autos less than your price, but since you don't have to sell it, keep it up there. You never know who might pay what!!

I know I looked 8-9 months for my mkiv, passing on some nice, higher-priced ones.
You don't want to know how little I paid for it!!!!!!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
VickSupra said:
Maybe I missed it, but how long have you had the car listed on the usual online outlets? Sometimes it takes quite a while to find the right buyer.

I think people will be able to find decent MkIV autos less than your price, but since you don't have to sell it, keep it up there. You never know who might pay what!!

I know I looked 8-9 months for my mkiv, passing on some nice, higher-priced ones.
You don't want to know how little I paid for it!!!!!!!!
I havent had this ad up for long at all...but this is the 3rd time I've posted it for sale...I've only listed it on here and on craigslist, it hasnt seen autotrader, so I'm not exposing it to a large audience, I guess...i'd really like to see someone from here get this car.

·
Registered
419 Posts
do you have any mods on it? if its still factory it should sell. dont modifity it expically if its only 44k on it. my white 93 turbo auto targa sold 26500 in feb 2001, it had 90,000 miles all orginal no cheesy stuff added.

·
2 RiCh 4 Ur bLooD...SuPrA
601 Posts
CalgarySupra said:
do you have any mods on it? if its still factory it should sell. dont modifity it expically if its only 44k on it. my white 93 turbo auto targa sold 26500 in feb 2001, it had 90,000 miles all orginal no cheesy stuff added.
:scratch: it's in his sig. also why not modify a 44k mile supra or any mileage one for that matter?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I have ZERO dings on my 11 year old car. I had a few fixed professionally years ago and since then, I haven't let any SUV driving soccer mom or NASCAR dad come within 50 feet of my car!!! I think of the extra walking at the mall/grocery store, etc as free exercise. ;)

Sounds like your Supra is definitely worth what you're asking at least, or more in the right market. DO NOT take the easy way out and get cheated on your car. Just preserve it and wait for the right buyer. And next time a prospective buyer even MENTIONS Kelly Blue Book, just say goodbye, don't waste time with fools. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts