Supra Forums banner

361 - 376 of 376 Posts

·
JetFire
5,286 Posts
Seriously if you had $195k, is this the car you would buy lol? I'm glad they got it under 3000lbs like I originally said Toyota needed to aim for or the car wouldn't be worth entertaining. But for that price tag?

It's a turnkey race car to jump in that GT class is my understanding. Similar to the $260K Camaro GT4.R car you can buy from Chevy. I guess a team can probably build their own car for cheaper as long as it meets the requirements.

·
iSPOOL
1,006 Posts
It's a turnkey race car to jump in that GT class is my understanding. Similar to the $260K Camaro GT4.R car you can buy from Chevy. I guess a team can probably build their own car for cheaper as long as it meets the requirements.
I rather have the McLaren or R8 GT spec cars. The price increase is more reasonable than the Supra or Camaro.

·
JetFire
5,286 Posts
I rather have the McLaren or R8 GT spec cars. The price increase is more reasonable than the Supra or Camaro.
Agreed, I'm not sure how race teams pick which specific chassis to go with for the GT classes maybe cost, support, sponsorship, driver experience etc.....

·
Super Moderator
10,201 Posts
Ken, I'm concerned about your sleep cycle. I'm no math wizard but get back to bed!
:):) LOL, Matt, I'm concerned as well. I've always been a night person, but retirement has made it worse. Been trying to get to bed earlier, but only having middling success so far. Pray for me....

Ken.

·
iSPOOL
1,006 Posts
MKV driver hit and run 😂
True class.

All these kids should have been shot into a sock. Its one thing to have fun on the streets but to hit and run, thats classless bullshyt.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have made a decision to refrain on passing judgement on the car until I drove it, and/or seen it in person. That has been impossibly difficult. I have hated it, warmed to it, hated it more and impressed with some of the tuning done, hated it some more...it for sure is a mixed bag of feelings. I am really trying hard to not just throw out the baby with the bathwater and give it a honest chance. Toyota makes this impossible with the ridiculous ____ they are doing.

Well last week I looked at one. I was not impressed but you knew that. Being honest, not much impresses me anymore. I have a hard time looking at modern cars. I am very jaded due to having a rich background driving everything from Porsche's, Aston's, Bentley's, Jaguar, Lamborghini, Maserati, Benzes, BMW, Audi, Cadillac, even a Bugatti and everything in between. It's important to know what references I am basing this informal opinion on. The Toyota experience was very disappointing top to bottom. I drove to this dealer in my Jaguar 6 months ago and asked when the Supra will be there to see in person. They said, "Supra? No they don't make that anymore, we don't have any!" sigh. I asked them when they would get them and nothing. non-responsive. "You know more than we do..." I have gotten that answer from Toyota salesman more than anything else.

A few weeks ago I drove up to the same dealership in my GS460 and the salesman asked why I came in, I said "Supra" and he asked, previous Supra owner or new one? I went in to the showroom, and there were a dozen of people high up on the second floor watching me from above come in and look at it. The car is white and roped off. The salesman goes to grab the keys and opens the door.

When I went into Lexus for my GS460 service the LC500 was not roped off. They threw the keys at me and let me drive it. I didn't even ask for them, just expressed interest. It was a really nice car. Feels it's price. Handles well, extremely smooth. Awesome interior, one of the best I have seen. Looks and sounded amazing. But was not any faster than my GS460. It was shockingly slow for what it looks like. Trans was slow to respond in typical Lexus fashion. Deal breaker for me.

Back to Toyota, The salesman gets a call from upstairs from one of the managers judging me after opening the door. "Uh huh, yeah ok, sure". hangs up. "Sir I can't let you pop the hood. or drive it without buying it". I said, "let me get this straight, you want me to hand you 57,000 dollars and I cannot drive the car or even look at the engine?" "Yes sir, its a limited edition and we need to have a certified tech present to open the hood"

I walked out feeling like Toyota salesman are slimy. I went to a different dealership a few weeks ago, and asked a room full of Toyota salesmen, "Do you have a Supra on the lot I can look at?" They all ignored me and one told me to ask someone else after they saw I was still there waiting for an answer. Stand by the front desk for twenty minutes and not one person tried to help me. I asked someone else and they ignored me until I asked him three times. "Whats a Supra?, Oh a Supra? No we don't have one of those here." That was three weeks ago. I have driven Lambos and Astons and Mercedes, Bentley's new off the lot without a hassle, but not a Toyota. Oh they want me to drive that archaic prius if you look in their direction a half mile away.

I couldn't make a final decision on this car until recently when I saw Jackie Ding's video of the Supra V.2 crapping out on track repeatedly, dash going black, TC cutting power, having to restart the car 10 times to get it to make one lap not in limp mode. That generally is my feeling toward the car is of disdain and disgust, for the whole experience. That and Toyota's communist power policies not making anything resemble power and abhorrently making all other car makers follow their communist power policies. Subaru wants to add boost to a BRZ; too bad - communism. BMW wants to compete with the world finally with a bona fide sports car; NO - you cant' even compete with your own products- communism. Then there is the worst follow through out of all the manufacturers, every time they make something resembling sports, the market responds and they slink away into the bushes discontinuing the car like they never made it in the first place. (GS400, ISF, RCF, GSF, LCF) So everyone is supposed to be amazed and not rise to the challenge, because challenge is wrong and not communist. Then the design is disheveled, lacking coherence and flow. Passion replaced with conformity, Skillful craftsmanship replaced with modular parts, They have made so much money with prisues that they lost themselves completely and their identity is whatever looks cool at the time. I am a man that grew up with Toyota's; proud to own them (I have owned many), boasting of build quality or capability to anyone, but now they don't make a single car I want to own. Including Lexus. Even for a pos daily. I don't particularly like my GS460. It looks nice, sounds like a vacuum, handles like a brick when it gets twisty, has nazi undefeatable T/C, and is decently comfortable/reliable. It does not make me interested in it at all. I have a Jaguar XFR and that thing sings to me through my heated seats, fingertips on my heated steering wheel and loud pedal in a way that nothing under $150k has ever done sans a Porsche. My XFR makes me want to set my GS on fire after driving the Jag it is so dull.

Bottom line for me, Toyota died with Eiji Toyoda original CEO of Toyota, and Akio Toyoda that took over has ruined all his family built. Eiji wanted to make superior cars. He loved cars. He had passion. He hired Takumi craftsmen. He was the type of person to under-spec and over-build and over-engineer and over-deliver. His personality showed in the cars years later after people poured their hard earned money into them. Akio has no passion for cars, he is afraid of power, builds all at a cost, he is a follower and he has hired the same kind of people as him. Toyota's design, engineering and marketing decisions today echo the character and personality of Akio; which echo millenials. Wishy washy no commitment or skill in any area, focused on the $$ at all costs and wants to talk a big game but cannot back it up whatsoever. Focus is all over the place and when he does focus on something he focuses on style and sound but can never figure out why people can tell and care there is no performance. If you abhorrently refuse to make what I want to drive, I will refuse to buy what you build. Period.

I never want to be like that. I don't want to drive that either. Sums up all Toyota for me today. Shame, they had so much potential. It like watching a friend that was so good in sports that he was a shoe in for going pro and threw it away and he went on to become a A/C repairman. There is nothing wrong with A/C repair, it just is not a pro NFL player. You could have went all the way Toyota. But you didn't. You didn't even graduate, although you came close with F1 and LeMans. You had a kid called prius too early and it stopped all progress of your life forever. Man without vision shall perish. So long Toyota, it was fun while it lasted. The romance is dead. All downhill from here. Good luck with your prius. I gave up on you a long time ago with a sliver of hope one day you would find yourself and I would come running back. Not anymore. That hope is long gone now. Onward to better things. I am really liking Jaguar and Porsche products lately. Best driving cars for the money. Even Jaguar of late has slumped since 2016, Porsche being the only outlier of sporting feeling cars that actually walk the talk and have some semblance of a decent owner experience at a cost. What times we live in.

Attachments

·
JetFire
5,286 Posts
@SUPRAT excellent post while I don't share the same dislike of the car as others here your post did bring up one key point which is leadership at Toyota. Akio is not passionate about performance and focuses on costs and risk, hence us having the car we have. Chevy actually risked losing money on their base priced Vette assuming more sales past $80K to offset the losses, Akio and team would never consider that. The way how many dealerships reacted with this car as far as mark ups and ignorance and lack of customer service like you noted is a stark reminder of why I'm not a fan of dealerships. I actually like Tesla's buy direct process and not having dealerships involved. I like the LC500 and the F series cars Lexus offers but I think they are out of touch with the competition in the price range these cars are in.

361 - 376 of 376 Posts