Supra Forums banner
481 - 492 of 492 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
since you are a Supra owner you MUST commit seppaku for your statement =P lol
Hahaha.... that was only IF I had to choose one or the other. ;) At the moment, I'm on the fence about pulling the trigger on a Model S Plaid.

·
Administrator
9,392 Posts
I'd actually take the MKV over the new Z... and that's saying a lot. 😂
Why dont you elaborate...I find myself saying the exact opposite.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Why dont you elaborate...I find myself saying the exact opposite.
I should've stated my preference was based on looks and styling of both cars. As far as power goes, they are both neck and neck, the 400Z having a slight edge. One of the most obvious features the 400Z has is the manual option... which the MKV will fall very short on with buyers. I've driven the MKV and it is impressive, so I'll have to report back when the new Z comes out and I've test driven that too.

Why about you, Matt? Why do you prefer the new Z over the MKV?

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is probably pointless, but:
I have a 2020 GR with JB4 tuner, Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires and Hawk front brake pads. I bought the car because I couldn’t find a new, small 2 seater with the track mods I wanted and enough hp at a price I was willing to pay. I have never been a brand loyalist, I look for a car that meets my specifications and if I like it, I buy it. For about 3000$ (tires, wheels, brakes and the JB4) I got that car. Don’t like the infotainment system but that’s a small thing and not much of an issue on track days. At BIR on long track days, I keep up with anything that isn’t over 500hp (including a couple of C8’s) or way above my price point. It’s absolutely awesome on the track: neutral in corners, accelerated with the V8’s and I get 34 mpg driving home at the end of the day! The older supras are wonderful cars, because the are wonderful cars, not because Toyota made them. And, sorry, but the new Supra is a thoroughly modern automobile (suspension, electronics, chassis rigidity, safety features, etc, etc). I had two C3 vettes, a 68-327 and a 72-454. Would I want to put either up against even an early C4? How about my early 80’s 280zx against a modern Z car? Or, my 1969 Plymouth Road Runner against a Dodge Charger Hellcat? The obvious answer is NO Way! A stock 90’s Supra up against a stock 2020, or better yet, stock 2021? Really? I love that you love your cars, I loved my 68/327 but I know technology has moved on. Give me a C8 any day if I’m going to the track. If we’re going to an antique car show? Clearly my 68 would win. Love your cars for what they are and let me love mine for what it is. Viva-la-difference!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,808 Posts
You're right. It was/is pointless. Not too many minds not already made up on this topic. Glad you like your car, but most in here, myself included, are not about that (see thread title).

Ken.

·
Premium Member
1987 MA71 R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
630 Posts
Man, I'm amazed. I've been out for a year and this thread continues on :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
The older supras are wonderful cars, because the are wonderful cars, not because Toyota made them.
What?? You don't have to be a brand loyalist to know it is in fact because it's a Toyota that they are wonderful.
Toyota overbuilt the JZ engine. Point blank, period. There's plenty of other cars out there from that era or even THIS era that can't withstand what it can. Toyota may not have anticipated people modding up these motors to 800HP on a stock block, but people do. Perhaps at the 320BHP, they just overbuilt them expecting the type of reliability that they were known for in the 80s and 90s. But 80s and 90s US cars do not have the reliability that Toyota did. And how many other engine blocks can be boosted to 800HP and still be fine?
Granted, if you've never researched this fact, because you weren't in the market for MK4 or any other JZ-powered car, you may not believe this or care what benefits it would have for you.

And, sorry, but the new Supra is a thoroughly modern automobile (suspension, electronics, chassis rigidity, safety features, etc, etc). I had two C3 vettes, a 68-327 and a 72-454. Would I want to put either up against even an early C4? How about my early 80’s 280zx against a modern Z car? Or, my 1969 Plymouth Road Runner against a Dodge Charger Hellcat? The obvious answer is NO Way! A stock 90’s Supra up against a stock 2020, or better yet, stock 2021? Really? I love that you love your cars, I loved my 68/327 but I know technology has moved on. Give me a C8 any day if I’m going to the track. If we’re going to an antique car show? Clearly my 68 would win. Love your cars for what they are and let me love mine for what it is. Viva-la-difference!!!.
You're comparing a 1969 to a 2015 Hellcat, that's 45 years difference spanning multiple advancements from carbs to fuel injection, fully analog to OBD2/CANbus system, multiple gas crises, adoption of multiple catalytic converters, modern tires, etc, etc. That's an apples to oranges comparison to the 20 year difference between the last MK4 Supra and the first MKV.
Yes, I would EXPECT a newer car to be more advanced. But advanced doesn't necessarily mean better in the overall history of vehicles. Any mass-market Corolla or Camry are more advanced than the MK4 Supra, would you call them better?

And stock for stock? We're enthusiasts here who mod our cars.
If you want to talk to other old men about how good their stock cars are, you can go to the MKV website, they drool over them over there. Just remember this in 20-30 years.
Today, people put JZ engines (plus other RELIABLE JAPANESE engines like 3S-GTE, 1UZ, K20/K24) in just about anything like 240SXs, BMWs, BRZs, trucks, and all sorts of other cars, even American ones. In 20-30 years, what will people be swapping in their project cars? Definitely not B58s, at least not even close to the extent that people do with Japanese engines. If you don't understand what I've said here, I don't know how else to say it.
Time will only tell how well the MK5s hold up, and I hope they will be able to at least be worthy of the conversation but probably not.

BTW I've had a MK5 for a year now and it's a great car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you believe only Toyota made “overbuilt engines” I just don’t know what to say to that except Sad. Read articles and posts suggesting A91 good for 600 hp before really need to change anything major, and that it can handle 700-800 hp. Toyota expected the car to be modded and The B58 is one great engine. As for who will be doing what in 20-30 years, don’t know and neither do you.
My comparison C3 to C4 is valid and those two cars were closer together than MKIV to MKV.
Comparing a MKIV to a Corolla? Maybe you know something I don’t about the MKIV that makes that a reasonable comparison?
20 years is HUGE in car years, and some of that is stuff you CAN’T fix.
Yup I’m an old Man, I know cars, I’m modding mine and sorry, I’d rather start where this car is than with a car that’s 2 decades plus out of date. Your entitled to your opinions and preferences but the OLD Man crack smacks of a little insecurity. To quote the Bard - Methinks thou doth protest to much.

·
The Great Beast 666
572 Posts
If you believe only Toyota made “overbuilt engines” I just don’t know what to say to that except Sad.
What seems to be sad is that you didnt go through the forums to see HUNDREDS of Supras that showed that they were able to make over 800rwhp on the stock engine, and Im sure you possibly know of TO4R.com

Read articles and posts suggesting A91 good for 600 hp before really need to change anything major, and that it can handle 700-800 hp. Toyota expected the car to be modded and The B58 is one great engine.
again the 2jzgte can make 800hp on stock internals and more so with boltons and a tune again read around.

As for who will be doing what in 20-30 years, don’t know and neither do you.
My comparison C3 to C4 is valid and those two cars were closer together than MKIV to MKV.
Comparing a MKIV to a Corolla? Maybe you know something I don’t about the MKIV that makes that a reasonable comparison?
how about the Dodge Viper RT10 and the C4Zr1 both of which the Supra beat out or equaled in 1993/94 in handling, braking, acceleration and 1/4 time

Yup I’m an old Man, I know cars, I’m modding mine and sorry, I’d rather start where this car is than with a car that’s 2 decades plus out of date. Your entitled to your opinions and preferences but the OLD Man crack smacks of a little insecurity. To quote the Bard - Methinks thou doth protest to much.
You do not know about the Supra though a bit about the Supra but not about the Supra. And its sad that you own an amazing machine as well as other amazing machines (sans the Zupra) and chose comfort and luxury in the Zupra over getting an ACTUAL Supra. Caroll Shelby and Hiromo Naruse hang their heads in shame at you.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,691 Posts
Yall still talking about the Zupra?

Reactions: 95MKIVTT

·
The Great Beast 666
572 Posts
481 - 492 of 492 Posts