Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I get up. Go to the local auto shop. Get oil and a filter. I'm doing the first oil change. I get home jack the car up crawl under the car and I can't get the fucking bolt off. After messing with if for a solid hour and swearing numerous times. I got to my dad's house and get his compressor and air gun. Hit it with 100psi and still nothing. I'm so angry. I was thinking about doing my single swap but if I cant get one bolt off I'm not even going to think about that.

·
Old School
4,067 Posts
Stop now. If you do get the bolt off, how will you get it back in? Something is wrong, it's cross-threaded, for example.

(Unless you really are turning it the wrong way.) ;)

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Get a tap and dye set ready just in case you strip it out, because more than likely you will, some spare bolts wouldnt hurt as well. Spray the shit outta it with either some WD-40 or the bolt/ nut lubricator/ loosener, then get a 5 foot long breaker bar long enough so you dont have to be under the car when you torque the hell outta it with good leverage.

·
11,221 Posts
I hope you aren't talking about the oil pan bolt. That sucker is easy as hell to get off. I can't imagine how it'd be that much seized in if it is. The last time it's been opened is prob at most 3000 miles anyways (which is probably far more than 3 months for most Supra's).

I vice grip everything ;)

·
Registered
798 Posts
oil drain plug that tight is not a good sign, probably cross threaded....i dont think its possible to that plug on there that tight without cross threading or some loctite or something....

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
the oil pan drain plug is only about to take between 20-22 pound of torque...also never use air tools for bolts and such like this man, never...and are you sure your tuning it the right way

lefty loosey, righty tighty

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I've encountered a similar problem before. When I bought my deuce and I went to change the oil, someone had put in this super random bolt that was made of super weak metal. I tried to wrench it off and it would not budge and got horribly stripped. I tried everything you could imagine and every 4 letter word you could think up.

I finally ended up removing the oil pan, so I could get it at the angle I wanted, and used a special drill bit. It's basically a screw that goes in the opposite direction a bolt does, and the bolt came out and I've since replaced the bolt with one that works fine, so the threads aren't necessarily damaged. I remember the feeling when I got that darn thing out...so gratifying.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
messed with it some more last night. Finally gave up and just started drinking beer off the kegorator and shaking my head. I was talking to my g/f about and finally she told me too shut up that she didn't care about the stupid bolt. I'm going to head out to the garage and mess with it some more today. I might try going the other way just to see. But I got the lefty loosey thing going for sure.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
Why is the bolt on there so tight? Were you the last one to change the oil?

It should come off with a small hand wrench...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts